Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill

Full Version: Moving to Boise, Idaho!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After over 20 years in Los Angeles, I am moving to Boise, Idaho in 3 weeks! I am so happy. I've been thinking about it for a few years, and was just starting to think about making some plans to move there, maybe in the next 12 months, when a great job opportunity popped up out of the blue. I took it, and now my life is changing!

I'm really excited. I've been there many times and have a couple relatives in the area. I was hanging on to Los Angeles because it's hard to leave this weather and the "cool" factor here, but I am finally over it. It's too expensive and I'm not having fun. I haven't been to a club on Sunset in fifteen years and have never been to a taping of a tv show. I'm not in the entertainment business. Although theoretically we have "the beach, the mountains, and the desert", I've only been to the beach because traffic. SO WHAT AM I STILL DOING HERE? I came here as a poor country rube when I was 18, with a lot to prove to myself. Well, I got my education here and "made it" (sort of) as a lawyer. Points proven. Now I'm 46 and living like a college student, cooped up in a tiny apartment I don't own and could never afford to own. This is no life. I am ready to live around some natural beauty. And I just want to ride my bike and play outside.

Does anyone else here live in Boise or close by?

Here's to the next chapter of my life.

Holly
Replying to my own post, hah, because I am just tickled to be starting a new phase in my life.

I mean really, I just said "feck it". I'm leaving. My colleagues and friends in Los Angeles are like, "WHAT THE HELL?" And they tell me I'll be back. And they are making bets. But I am not going to be moving back. Two of my colleagues messaged me and asked if they can ride in my car with me on the move because they want to "consider their options" and are impressed that I am up and leaving the rat race "just like that". Just like that.

This move is a necessary mid course correction in my life. I am so happy about it. I'm going to be renting a little house on the North End, right next to all the hills I'm going to climb on my road bike.

I'm going from a solo law practice in Century City, to working as the Attorney for a Chapter 13 Bankruptcy Trustee in Meridian. I'll still be able to keep a small solo law practice "on the side", which will provide a little extra income. The parking at my new office in Boise is $2 for 2 hours, compared to $21/hour (up to $32) in Century City. That's more like it.

This move is happening so fast and it's not the way I would have planned it out, but I am confident that everything will fall into place.
Good Luck with the new adventures in your life! We went thru the upper north part on our bike travels this last July and the views were breath taking.
(12-25-2014 09:17 AM)2Beers Wrote: [ -> ]Good Luck with the new adventures in your life! We went thru the upper north part on our bike travels this last July and the views were breath taking.

Thanks! It's a beautiful state and I can't wait to get out on my bike and explore it!!
Congratulations Holly. That's a big move. One I know you'll be happy with. Keep us posted.
(12-25-2014 02:03 PM)Lanix Wrote: [ -> ]Congratulations Holly. That's a big move. One I know you'll be happy with. Keep us posted.

My husband lived in Coeur d'Alene before moving to SoCal. Idaho is very pretty. I was born and raised in the rat race of LA and Orange counties. Never lived anywhere else until we retired 5 years ago and moved to the mtns of Arizona. You'll go through an adjustment period, but you'll come to realize that SoCal is a nice place to visit, but there are nicer places to live! Enjoy your new adventure!
(12-26-2014 12:22 PM)Gungawoman Wrote: [ -> ]My husband lived in Coeur d'Alene before moving to SoCal. Idaho is very pretty. I was born and raised in the rat race of LA and Orange counties. Never lived anywhere else until we retired 5 years ago and moved to the mtns of Arizona. You'll go through an adjustment period, but you'll come to realize that SoCal is a nice place to visit, but there are nicer places to live! Enjoy your new adventure!

Thank you, Gungawoman! I'll keep you posted.
Congrats! I am pleased you are so confident. It seems to me (from the way you describe your past LA life) that this will be a great thing for you. Have fun and be safe! Please keep us informed.
Excellent choice Holly!

Just call it Chapter 2, as you have lived thru the LA scene (and lived to tell its tale) but now seek out6 those new adventures in life, or as I call them, challenges we all face from time to time. I wish you nothing but success and happiness in your new life, and I certainly HOPE that this new chapter is even better than the first!
Reference URL's