Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill

Full Version: VENISON!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Any other Venison lover's out there. I was lucky enough to harvest a couple deer last year and have been enjoying the meat all winter and spring.

My favorite dish is taking the loin and cutting it into 1" thick medallions and then marinate it over-night in a favorite salad dressing. I then wrap each piece in bacon and grill it over medium heat. The bacon really protects the fatless meat and locks in the moisture. I then blend cannellini beans into a light sauce with red wine and a little balsamic vinaigrette to spread over the venison.

I like to serve it with grilled asparagus dusted with parmesan cheese.
Oh, man, this brings back memories.

My mom used to make a venison chili that was to die for. Dad's not a hunter, actually nobody in the family is, but there are some local butchers that occasionally have venison available and she'll get it there.

If I can get her to part with the recipe, I'll post it here. Stay tuned.
When there is Venison to be had, I make this.

Venison Marinade:

1. Take Venison Tenderloin,or Roasts (with the silver skin removed) and place in a deep glass or enamel pan and pour Buttermilk on top(enough to cover the meat) and allow it to soak in the fridge for 24 hours.

2. Remove the meat from Buttermilk and rinse with water, pat dry and set aside on another plate dish for the moment. Dump the buttermilk and wash and dry the pan. Place the meat back into it and this time cover with 2 cups or more of wine(your choice)again enough to cover the meat. To this add cut up carrots, onions, garlic, shallots, celery and spices & herbs. I've used thyme, sage leaves,bay leaves, peppercorns, allspice berries,whole cloves, and juniper berries. Allow this mix to again set for another 24 hours to marinate in the fridge.

3. After the second 24 hour fridge time drain the meat, pat dry and rub with the next two mixtures. 1st--ground pepper, salt,and a bit of sugar, 2nd--1/2 cup olive oil mixed with 3 TBSP of Kitchen Boquet (sp?) browning liquid. Rub each mix step into the meat well.

4. Broil, Bake or Grill until done to your tastes.
My hubby got 5 this season (2 with his truck!) We have plenty of ground, sausage, chip steak, and regular steaks. We usually just sautee the medalions in olive oil and add Garlic Garlic seasoning from Tastefully Simple. Yummmm.....

I made chili over the winter and it was good. I would love to get your mom's recipe OHR!

We also made a pot roast with the shoulder in a crock pot.

I'm always looking for new ways to cook venison.
I thought I'd bump this thread up. I saw MANY deer on the backs of vehicles on the way home yesterday. I also know that Hermy was lucky enough to get a buck this year. Congrats Herm. Anyone else have a venison recipe?
I went hunting for a couple hours on the family farm Wednesday. My uncle asked me if I got anything - my response....'Back'.
Had a pal that used to make jerky. <slobber> It was so much better than beef.
Hmm, I'll have to look in "The Book" I have a recipe for jerky. Little labor intensive, but well worth the end product.
Shall I give you my mailing address now?
Might as well toss mine in too.....all this talk of deer meat is making me foam at the ears!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Reference URL's