Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill

Full Version: Propane or Charcoal.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
As an avid BBQ fanatic,I have always used charcoal
for the great taste.Why would anyone even try to use
propane? Please tell me what you use and why?

PROUD MEMBER OF
P.E.T.A...PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS.
Bubba has always used charcoal in his Weber grill but I, until recently, have used propane mainly for it's convenience, although I do smoke using indirect heat with cuttings from my apple tree. I agree that charcoal (hardwood and some natural wood briquettes) is the way to go and now that the weather is warming up here in Cowfart I'm going to start experimenting with a WSM. I like it's size, simplicity and the fact that it's readily available locally but am open to suggestions.
(04-17-2010 10:11 AM)Brutus Wrote: [ -> ]Bubba has always used charcoal in his Weber grill but I, until recently, have used propane mainly for it's convenience, although I do smoke using indirect heat with cuttings from my apple tree. I agree that charcoal (hardwood and some natural wood briquettes) is the way to go and now that the weather is warming up here in Cowfart I'm going to start experimenting with a WSM. I like it's size, simplicity and the fact that it's readily available locally but am open to suggestions.

Wish you would of added a Thanks button so I can thank you.
For me it's a matter of what's available at the place in which I'm cooking. Most of the time it's propane. I prefer to cook with charcol and hard woods. Nothing can imitate that great flavor. However, I find soaking cherry wodd chips in water and adding those to the smoker of a good propane fueld grill does come close.

KoHoSo

Propane! Taste the meat, not the heat...I tell you what! Big Grin

ufkal

I am more for the propane, but honestly if because of the convenience. I usually don't think about grilling until the last minute. So propane is faster. I do like the charcoal ritual though. SmileP

john tinelli

I think it depends on who I am cooking for and what I am cooking.
If I am cooking a Zwiegles hot dog gas is ok.

If I am cooking custom cut, country ribs, not even charcoal is ok. Properly seasoned wood, with a humidfier is a must. Good solid 12-14 hours is about right. Wood is the only way to cook somthing like that. A proportionate amount of again, properly seasoned hickory is a must. I have several of these trees on my property. I took one down last year. It was perfect until about a month ago. Now the wood does not have enough humidty left in it to season anything. So now its just firewood. And darn good heat it is.

I saw the cherry wood post here as well That works good too. So does apple Brutis. But hickory with indirect heat is definately worth trying. Ill send you some if you want it Brutis....

So my answer. Is niether. My answer is wood. Love this forum......
I usually use sugar maple...Love the flavor.
(04-17-2010 09:47 AM)rkalem Wrote: [ -> ]As an avid BBQ fanatic,I have always used charcoal
for the great taste.Why would anyone even try to use
propane? Please tell me what you use and why?

Thanks.

Amen on the Charcoal only. I mean you really do get full taste of true bbq when using it. And adding a bit of flavored wood bring a whole other scrumptulescents to the meat that is being loved.. feh..propane.
(04-17-2010 03:46 PM)john tinelli Wrote: [ -> ]I think it depends on who I am cooking for and what I am cooking.
If I am cooking a Zwiegles hot dog gas is ok.

If I am cooking custom cut, country ribs, not even charcoal is ok. Properly seasoned wood, with a humidfier is a must. Good solid 12-14 hours is about right. Wood is the only way to cook somthing like that. A proportionate amount of again, properly seasoned hickory is a must. I have several of these trees on my property. I took one down last year. It was perfect until about a month ago. Now the wood does not have enough humidty left in it to season anything. So now its just firewood. And darn good heat it is.

I saw the cherry wood post here as well That works good too. So does apple Brutis. But hickory with indirect heat is definately worth trying. Ill send you some if you want it Brutis....

So my answer. Is niether. My answer is wood. Love this forum......
That makes so much sense. If the wood is too fresh it'll smoke and smoulder and not burn with any control. If too dry it'll burn too fast with little smoke. Now I guess I have to learn the art of wood curing too. Thanks for the kind offer to ship hickory my way but living here in Cowfart, West Dakota it would have to clear Cowboy Customs and with my misadventures in the past with organic combustables it might set off too many alarm bells. Here in Cowfart at a place called Barbecues Galore they sell bags of different woods and charcoal but now I'm thinking that they may have become too dry. I wonder if they'd allow me to "squeeze the charcoal" before purchace. This has become such a hot topic I'm going to now set up a forum dedicated to BBQ. Let's take our discussions on that there from now on, K?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Reference URL's