Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill

Full Version: Tips on BBQ, Grilling and Smoking
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
There has been such a strong interest in things related to cooking with wood and charcoal that it seems wise to create a forum specific to that topic. I've just begun my journey down that road and I look forward to picking the brains of veteran travellers. Thanks and welcome aboard!
If you live in Canada,try using DIANA BBQ SAUCE Western smokehouse flavor.
Tried many sauces but this one is absolutly,lip smacking,divine!!
[Couple of things: If you can get it, try a cut of pork called a Boston Butt.When you smoke it, make sure the layer of fat is on the top of the meat, that way as it cooks, the fat will help keep the meat moist. Also, "low and slow" is a good rule of thumb. Don't let your smoker get too hot- you will end up roasting the meat instead of slow cooking/smoking. Make sure the core temp of your meat gets up to180 F.Raw BBQ is bad BBQ.
(04-19-2010 04:43 AM)Polandmason Wrote: [ -> ][Couple of things: If you can get it, try a cut of pork called a Boston Butt.When you smoke it, make sure the layer of fat is on the top of the meat, that way as it cooks, the fat will help keep the meat moist. Also, "low and slow" is a good rule of thumb. Don't let your smoker get too hot- you will end up roasting the meat instead of slow cooking/smoking. Make sure the core temp of your meat gets up to180 F.Raw BBQ is bad BBQ.
I was wondering how best to monitor the core temperature of your meat without constantly opening your smoker thus allowing all that good smoke and heat to escape. I'm about to purchase a new WSM (Weber Smokey Mountain) and I'll spring the extra bucks for the model with a built-in thermometer for monitoring my burn temperature but I think it woud also be nice to have an external thermometer that reads from a probe in the meat. Everything has remote capability these days so I'm sure there must be something out there. Source?
It sounds like you're thinking of a "Probe Thermometer". Here's a link to some of the different probe thermometers available.

Digital Probe Thermometers

The DTP482 is the one I looked at and it should do the trick for you. Just make sure the ones you look at are able to be left in the meat while cooking/smoking (oven safe, BBQ Safe, Smoker Safe, etc...).
(04-20-2010 05:08 PM)Chase David Wrote: [ -> ]It sounds like you're thinking of a "Probe Thermometer". Here's a link to some of the different probe thermometers available.

Digital Probe Thermometers

The DTP482 is the one I looked at and it should do the trick for you. Just make sure the ones you look at are able to be left in the meat while cooking/smoking (oven safe, BBQ Safe, Smoker Safe, etc...).
Thanks for the tip. I'll check that out.

spudpotatohead

This might also do the trick as its designed to use inside a smoker:

http://www.partshelf.com/maet73.html
1) Soak Pro-Mark 747 Skewers in cauldron of water to prevent burning on Coal'Fire.
2) Fill them up with precious cargo
3) Rotisserate, Resonate, Vibrate
4) Eat

Thanks for inviting me (#251) to beta experiment!
We are big fans of brining. We will brine just about anything. As we go we will post recipes. Cherry Coke works good for a starter. Diet soda will leave the meat bitter tasting so only the fully loaded sugared soda.

Thanks Brutus for the BBQ page!!!
I'm just getting back into using charcoal again after getting a good deal on a grill. Any thoughts on the amount of time to soak wood chips? I have been using apple wood chips from Stubb's and I find that if I don't soak them for at least five to six hours, they tend to burn up immediately. Maybe a problem with the wood chips? Love the forum. I have already picked up many recipes and useful tips from everyone. Thanks!
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's