Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill

Full Version: Making Wine
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
So I decided to make some wine for the holidays. Picked up six gallons of Pinot Noir. Last time I made some was about seven years ago. It was a Montepulciano and came out pretty good.

Anyone else making wine and do you have any secrets or suggestions?
I'll be looking for some suggestions too...
I'm a homebrewer (among way too many other hobbies) just making beer so far, but would like to get into wine at some point.
Vincent: If you put in in now, will it be ready for the holidays? I thought most wine needs time to age?
It should be ready in six weeks. Has been one already. It will continue to mature once bottled but we should have an initally good batch to drink. Google "Festa or Fiesta" Juices. It's easy and comes out great. Comes in a variety of grapes.
The wine should be ready for bottling in about 2 weeks. I can't wait to try it!
Just bottled my latest batch of homebrew beer the other day... an oaked stout.
had to have a sample as it was going in, and I must say it was pretty tasty. Can;t wait for it
to get carbonated there in the bottles, and chilled to an appropriate temperature.
Should be ready just about for Thanksgiving.
That sounds great. You'll enjoy it with variety of holiday foods!

The wine is scheduled to be bottled on Sunday, December 5, though I may do it earlier. The problem right now is that I don't have enough empty bottles and you can't leave air so you have to siphon all of it. I'm probably 15-20 bottles short-have enough to do half maybe. I'm trying to drink more red wine to get empty bottles, but it's not really working. Who can drink that much? May have to use something like empty gallon water bottles.
(11-10-2010 09:27 PM)JrGtr42 Wrote: [ -> ]Just bottled my latest batch of homebrew beer the other day... an oaked stout.
had to have a sample as it was going in, and I must say it was pretty tasty. Can;t wait for it
to get carbonated there in the bottles, and chilled to an appropriate temperature.
Should be ready just about for Thanksgiving.

So how was it? Isn't it great when you can have a part in the process of producing the product?
I added per instructions some stabilizers and preservatives and topped off the 6 gal. bottle with a bottle of full bodied red late-vine Zinfandel. Now it will be several more weeks to bottling...about a week before Christmas. I may have let the fermentation go too long. I'm not sure right now where it's going as far as flavor is concerned.

Yesterday my wife's uncle whose family made wine for generations expressed his disdain for home wine kits, and that the grape needs to naturally ferment by pressing the grapes at the right time. I can't see pressing grapes. Who has the time? So if I like the result I may continue with the juice.
This thread reminds me of the Eric Burton and War song, "Spill the wine". "Spill the wine, eat that...". Woah! Those aren't the lyrics. Close though. I used to brew my beer but being a fan of distilled elixirs I never made a beer that rocked my socks. The best one I made (being a fan of Guiness and Beamish) was a stout. I remember milling up some frozen licorice and sprinkling it into the thing that holds everything while it ferments....been a while, but that flavor stood out in a good way. Now maybe I'll plan on Dublin to have a pour or the real deal!
MMM licorice sounds nice for a home brew. I'd love to try that. Picked up some Absint recently. i wonder how they make that? When in Italy the south was well known for Limoncello. there were hunbdreds of brands there. here only a few... It's a nice Easter through summer cordial. Will rock ya though... some nice Baileys is a delight after dinner some nights with the Christmas season in full swing. Is there a "libations" thread?
That oaked stout came out about as good as I could have hoped.
It may be a touch on the dry side (to use a wine term) but I can deal with it.
Has enough alcohol punch to be warming without being too 'hot,' Plenty of roasty flavor from the specialty grains I used and just a bit of the woody flavor.

I have a couple books on brewing and each one of them has at least one recipe for a licorice stout. I love licorice, but I can't really see using it in beer - plus, it'd never last that long in my place to get to the point.

Brutus: that thing that holds everything while it ferments? That would be the fermenter. Wink
we boozers like really scientific, technical terms for things like that.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Reference URL's