Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill

Full Version: Interesting Old Recipe
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Here is an interesting very old recipe. I was looking through some pictures I took last summer and came across this one. It is a photo of the top of a wood burning stove built around the mid 1800’s. The stove was at a museum depicting the household of early European immigrants to the US. The recipe is cast right into the iron, and I think you are supposed to cook the mixture right there under the lid.

So, who can read what it says? Who wants to try to make some?

-Rey
[Image: recipe.jpg]
Wow Rey, that’s cool!
Just a quick dig, but what I found thanks to babylon.com was this-
Mehl- Flour, or meal, like corn meal I assume.
Milch- Literally means milk giving, so milk.
Eier- Couldn't find, but Ei is egg, so maybe a plural? Eggs?
Butter- self explanatory.
Hefe- yeast.
Looks like pancakes to me.....?
Well if thats the case, its either pancakes or waffles. That iron is hinged - so I just wonder??

Check this out: Medievel Waffles
(01-29-2011 10:39 AM)boomer Wrote: [ -> ]Well if thats the case, its either pancakes or waffles. That iron is hinged - so I just wonder??

Check this out: Medievel Waffles

Cool, we may have here a 160 year old waffle maker. Or pancakes. So far we have:

1.5 liters of milk
6-8 eggs
2 Pf of flour
3/4 pf of butter
20 Crm yeast

Wait a minute, whats a Pf???
Or a Crm?

-Rey
Rey... you were at Old World Wisc. weren't you Smile... So from the German or Norwegian, Swedish or Finnish areas??
(01-29-2011 12:44 PM)2Beers Wrote: [ -> ]Rey... you were at Old World Wisc. weren't you Smile... So from the German or Norwegian, Swedish or Finnish areas??

Oh, Ive been found out! That's okay, its a pretty interesting place. This was from the German area.

-Rey
"You can run.....but you cant hide"
That is way cool... never seen anything like it before!
(01-29-2011 01:53 PM)boomer Wrote: [ -> ]"You can run.....but you cant hide"

especially since 2Beers and I live within a stone's throw of the place.
That is cool. I'll have to go out there and have a look.
'K, for the record, traveling for your job when you are alone and have nothing to do on a Saturday night, stinks, in case anyone was wondering.
So I have time to work on the recipe puzzle.
I found Pf.
An abbreviation for Pfund.
It means pound.
Still puzzling crm.....
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's