Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill

Full Version: Restaurant Recipes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Back when Chili's (yes, the chain) was smart, they had a little item called Original Texas Red Chili on the menu. I used to go there almost daily for lunch or dinner and order a bowl of chili and a side of tortilla shells and cheese and make my own chili tacos (which is actually a menu item from years before).

Several years ago, they replaced Texas Red with Terlingua (or Turd-lingua as I call it), a horrible, beany concoction. I now go to Chili's once every few months, maybe.

We found the recipe online recently, and my Significant Whatever is making me a batch of the Texas Red tonight, and man do I love him for it. Except my pregnant tummy has been a bit sour all day, so I may have to wait until tomorrow to eat it.

What restaurant recipes do you love?
There is a restaurant in Galena, IL called "Fried Green Tomatoes" that has some pretty good food, and one of my favorite items is the fried green tomatoes appetizer that the place is named after. We had dinner there one night, had them as an appetizer, and thought they were so good we went back the next day just to have the tomatoes again for lunch.

If this doesn't sound very good, picture them coming under lots of melted cheese, I was really surprised how they tasted.

We ended up buying the Galena cookbook, which has this recipe, but haven't tried to make them ourselves yet, kind of forgot about it actually.

Galena, IL is a fun place to spend a weekend, pretty historic with lots of things to see and places to walk around.

-Rey
I've always wanted to try out scenic Galena - maybe a little B&B action. Maybe after the twins are born. The chili was fantastic, the chili tacos - even better. But now I have a 5 pound bag of Masa Harina flour (minus three ounces) leftover.
I ride thru Galena about once a month on my bike during the riding season - I'll have to keep an eye out for that place. Galena is such a beautiful area to visit, and I hear there are several wine vendors there, along with the B&Bs. I might take my wife over to Galena later this spring when she gets better. She is still pretty laid up, and recovery is slow- but if she doesnt get out of the house soon we're gonna have one very MAD indian at the house!
(02-02-2011 07:52 PM)Laffitupfzbl Wrote: [ -> ]I've always wanted to try out scenic Galena - maybe a little B&B action. Maybe after the twins are born. The chili was fantastic, the chili tacos - even better. But now I have a 5 pound bag of Masa Harina flour (minus three ounces) leftover.

time to learn to to make tamales...or maybe the Significant O. has to learn to make tamales.
I have to find one of my recipe books. It has a great recipe for puffy taco shells. The are best eaten fresh and they are soooooo good. One of the local restaurants makes so I hunted until I found the recipe.
Puffy Taco Shells

2 Cups masa harina
1 tsp salt
1 1/4 Cups warm water

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix until smooth dough forms. Knead for a few minutes or until flexible. Break into 8 pieces and roll into balls. Should be about golf-ball sized. Place between two pieces of plastic wrap or parchment. Roll out with rolling pin until about 5 inches in diameter and about 1/8 inch thick.
In a skillet with approximately 1 inch of peanut oil heated to 375 degrees slip tortilla in baste with hot oil until top puffs up. After a minute, flip it over and crimp the tortilla in the middle to make a U shape and continue to fry for another minute. After 2-3 minutes it should be golden brown and hold its shape. Drain on paper towels and devour immediately with you favorite taco fillings.

They are best when fresh and warm. Enjoy!
Mmmm...RN-PRN they sound good and I bet they'd be delish dusted with cinnamon and powdered sugar as a sweet treat.
Kinda a like a churro, but I think churros are made with regular flour.
Reference URL's