Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill

Full Version: Curry and Chilli
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am always looking for good recipes for curries, be they Indian, (Vindaloo, Jalfrezi) or Caribbean, and Mexican Chilli.

I prefer the simple(ish) route to gratification though, especially on Indian recipes, so the easier the better.

This is a great idea - I notice there are many such threads/Sites in Australia and New Zealand, where getting a take away Indian is not an option so the internet community share ideas for making curries.
Here is one from my old neighbour, a guy born in Nevis in the Cariibean. Fond memories of him cooking this dish, and the aromas which used to float from his house to mine - Although he does not mention a marinade for the meat, I am sure he must have done, either that or he really slowly cooked the curry, as the aromas of cooking started at about lunch time and went through the day. He mentions Curry Masala, I am not sure if this is Garam Masala or basic curry powder - and nor does he mention chili spices or fresh chillies, but again, from memory this dish had a lot of heat, so I thinking there was some. -

start with as much lamb as required
one tin of coconut milk
3 large onions (chopped)
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
1 cup of water
2 crushed cloves of garlic
2 tea spoons fresh grated ginger
1 tea spoon ground turmeric
2 table spoon curry masala - one table spoon at the beginning and one near the end
method
heat 2 table spoons of veg oil in your curry pot (I love his use of "curry pot" - like the African "Calabash")
add the onion and garlic to soften
once done add the meat stir together
add one table spoon curry masala with the turmeric
add your tomatoes and fresh ginger
stir all ingredients with meat
add cup of water, put on lid simmer for half hour stirring occasionally
season to taste with salt and black pepper
cook untill meat is tender add second teaspoon of curry masala

He used to serve with boiled rice, and (sneakily imported from the Caribbean) nearly 100% proof Caribbean Rum.
(04-25-2010 05:09 AM)NWoBHM Wrote: [ -> ]Here is one from my old neighbour, a guy born in Nevis in the Cariibean. Fond memories of him cooking this dish, and the aromas which used to float from his house to mine - Although he does not mention a marinade for the meat, I am sure he must have done, either that or he really slowly cooked the curry, as the aromas of cooking started at about lunch time and went through the day. He mentions Curry Masala, I am not sure if this is Garam Masala or basic curry powder - and nor does he mention chili spices or fresh chillies, but again, from memory this dish had a lot of heat, so I thinking there was some. -

start with as much lamb as required
one tin of coconut milk
3 large onions (chopped)
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
1 cup of water
2 crushed cloves of garlic
2 tea spoons fresh grated ginger
1 tea spoon ground turmeric
2 table spoon curry masala - one table spoon at the beginning and one near the end
method
heat 2 table spoons of veg oil in your curry pot (I love his use of "curry pot" - like the African "Calabash")
add the onion and garlic to soften
once done add the meat stir together
add one table spoon curry masala with the turmeric
add your tomatoes and fresh ginger
stir all ingredients with meat
add cup of water, put on lid simmer for half hour stirring occasionally
season to taste with salt and black pepper
cook untill meat is tender add second teaspoon of curry masala

He used to serve with boiled rice, and (sneakily imported from the Caribbean) nearly 100% proof Caribbean Rum.

this sounds great. will have to try it
Bah! A little curried lamb sounds like a stew for two.
Quote:Bah! A little curried lamb sounds like a stew for two.

Interesting take - I suppose any stew or soup, with enough spice could re-brand itself a curry?

I have a feeling the Indian restuarants over here have a big bowl of base sauce which they call the "stew", and then use this to add further spices, meat, veg etc to create the unique curry dishes, like Madrass, Vindaloo, etc
Reference URL's