Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill

Full Version: Napa of the East
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, I'm not a rider, but often when I leave my house, I think....ahhh...I bet NEP would really appreciate this drive from his bike! The Finger Lakes region of Upstate NY has been called The Napa of the East, and for good reason. The lakes that stretch for miles North to South are nestled into green hills dotted with vineyards and stately homes (some of the smaller lakes are fully protected though, with no development and only non-motorized boats allowed), and rugged cliffs carry the etching of waterfalls that serve to keep the lakes refreshed after each appreciable rainfall or snowmelt. Many "seasonal only" roads open up to stunning vistas and the State Routes meander through many quaint, historic towns, Indian reservations, Amish country, vineyards, wineries, and farmland. Each of the lakes has its own flavor, and a lovely afternoon can be spent Vineyard Hopping at the many wineries that have tasting rooms and/or restaurants perched on a hill overlooking whichever lake they call home. Given that I have recently made Canandaigua Lake my home I am biased for sure, but the views from on high (or by boat!) of this lake rival any I have seen in England's Lake District, the Scottish Highlands, or Northern Michigan!

Traveling South along Rte 21 from the City of Canandaigua (easy access from I90) toward Naples is a favorite among motorcyclists. At the very South End of Canandaigua Lake, there is a small boat-launch where you'll likely see one or both of a pair of Bald Eagles roosting in the treeline along the shore, and you can even see their nest across the road when the leaves are down. Better yet, rent a fishing boat, canoe or kayak at the marina and venture into the canals that weave through the wetlands. Bring your camera!!! There are many places to go hiking as well, including Grimes Glen, which is a family-friendly romp during low water where you can swim in a tide-pool at the bottom of a waterfall!

The Town of Naples (continuing south on 21 a few miles) is famous for it's Grape Pies, which is a must-eat warm with a spash of vanilla ice cream! (Yes, I meant Grape Pie...it's yummy I promise!) Monica's Pies and Cindy's Pies are the best! Oh, and keep a look-out for the purple fire hydrants and grape vines painted on the volunteer ambulances!

The best spot for breakfast along this route is by far Poor Richards (I wrote about it in a different thread) across from the Woodville boat launch mentioned above, but there are several mom & pop joints in Naples that are worthy of a stop - Bob's N Ruth's, The Redwood, and The Grainery are all masters of good, simple food. Contrast those with the artsy cafe/winery in a purple mansion called Imagine Moore with live music and eclectic cuisine, or the upscale Brown Hound Bistro - known for it's Rack of Lamb and Veal Osso Bucco, and you have the spectrum of cuisine deliciously covered end to end. With such a variety of food, drink, and natural pleasures surrounding one 17-mile body of water, you can understand why an interesting mix of artists, rednecks, wine-snobs, outdoor enthusiasts, and hard-working families all call Canandaigua Lake their chosen spot!!

If anyone is interested in visiting, let me know...I'd be happy to point you in the right direction!!

Cheers!
Deb
You're so fortunate to live in such a beautiful area! I totally agree - Bubba would definitely enjoy a ride through the Finger Lakes if he hasn't done so already.

We stumbled upon Naples, NY some years ago when the hubby, our then 13 year old daughter and I were feeling a bit adventurous and traveled through the area for an extended weekend trip in early October. We had no hotel reservations anywhere and no specific destination in mind -- after all it's the journey not the destination. Smile I'll never forget the view as we descended into Naples -- absolutely breathtaking! It was a beautiful, sunny day and the fall foliage was at it's peak. The Grape Festival was going on, cars lined the sides of the road and there were grapes everywhere! We visited several of the vendors tables that were set up and of course we had to try the grape pies - yummy! We ended up traveling into Watkins Glen and hiked up the Gorge at the state park there. Soooo beautiful!!!

http://nyfalls.com/watkinsglensp.html

I'd have to say this was one of our favorite trips. We had no plans and no real expectations so everything was such a delightful surprise. We're hoping to go back there, possibly this fall, and do a wine tour. This time, however, I think I'll plan it out. I'd definitely appreciate any suggestions you might offer.
What a great "seat-of-your-pants" trip Dee! Love taking those sorts of trips and hope to do more of them as the kids get a bit older! I think I read in RoadShow that Bubba has ridden in the general vicinity before, having played in both Rochester and Darien Lake on several occasions, but not sure he's taken Rte 21 specifically. Maybe for the Clockwork Angels tour they'll come through again! Would love to be their tour-guide! ;-)

Have not hiked the Watkins Glen gorge yet, but hope to this summer. There are so few boating days around these parts that it's hard to pull away from the lake, but, there are so many amazing places to experience that I need to just make the commitment and DO IT!

Let me know if you get serious about making plans for a return visit to the area. Where are you coming from? We've only lived here for 2 years, but know tons of great B&Bs and restaurants, etc.

Have a great holiday!

Cheers!
Deb

(05-25-2011 06:21 AM)Dee Wrote: [ -> ]You're so fortunate to live in such a beautiful area! I totally agree - Bubba would definitely enjoy a ride through the Finger Lakes if he hasn't done so already.

We stumbled upon Naples, NY some years ago when the hubby, our then 13 year old daughter and I were feeling a bit adventurous and traveled through the area for an extended weekend trip in early October. We had no hotel reservations anywhere and no specific destination in mind -- after all it's the journey not the destination. Smile I'll never forget the view as we descended into Naples -- absolutely breathtaking! It was a beautiful, sunny day and the fall foliage was at it's peak. The Grape Festival was going on, cars lined the sides of the road and there were grapes everywhere! We visited several of the vendors tables that were set up and of course we had to try the grape pies - yummy! We ended up traveling into Watkins Glen and hiked up the Gorge at the state park there (stamp op??). Soooo beautiful!!!

http://nyfalls.com/watkinsglensp.html

I'd have to say this was one of our favorite trips. We had no plans and no real expectations so everything was such a delightful surprise. We're hoping to go back there, possibly this fall, and do a wine tour. This time, however, I think I'll plan it out. I'd definitely appreciate any suggestions you might offer.
Well, Deb, I don't blame you a bit for not leaving your area. I have no doubt that if I lived there I would have to be carried out kicking and screaming! Wink I hope you do get a chance to visit Watkins Glen gorge - truly beautiful. We're hoping to make a return trip there as well at some point. Possibly staying in one of the cabins there - they looked so cozy!

I'm north of you - the Thousand Islands region of New York state. I'll certainly let you know if we are able to make a trip down your way. Would definitely appreciate some guidance with regards to restaurants in the area.

Hope you have a great holiday as well, Deb! Cheers!!
I can recommend Wiemer Winery, in Hammondsport, as my favorite (I lived in Ithaca for 3 years); they are famous for their Riesling and Cabernet Franc. There are a number of wineries on both sides of Seneca Lake, and Long Point Winery is on the eastern side of Cayuga Lake. Watkins Glen is a pretty spot, also Taughannock Falls, on the west side of Cayuga. Weather-wise, I prefer mid October...the leaves are usually turning, and the mild is sunny and mild.
(07-23-2011 04:59 AM)Nanobabe Wrote: [ -> ]I can recommend Wiemer Winery, in Hammondsport, as my favorite (I lived in Ithaca for 3 years); they are famous for their Riesling and Cabernet Franc. There are a number of wineries on both sides of Seneca Lake, and Long Point Winery is on the eastern side of Cayuga Lake. Watkins Glen is a pretty spot, also Taughannock Falls, on the west side of Cayuga. Weather-wise, I prefer mid October...the leaves are usually turning, and the mild is sunny and mild.

Taughannock Falls is beautiful! Went in November on our first date-weekend after our daughter was born almost 9 years ago and did the hike up to the Falls. Stayed at the Taughannock Falls Inn, which was perfect, and we just loved Ithaca! Great college town! So much to do and see within a 2 hour drive of here!! Will have to try the Weimer Riesling...usually go with Dr. Frank's or Heron Hill Semi-Dry when I'm in the mood for something white. Thanks for the recommendation!
Reference URL's