Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill

Full Version: Beer Can Chicken....yum!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Has anyone ever done this? My uncle in Michigan made it for us last year on his charcoal Weber, and it was OUTSTANDING! I've tried it twice on my gas grill, and it was good, but not falling off the bone and the flavor wasn't quite as full as my uncle's version. I'm thinking I need to cook it longer than the recommended 1 hour 15 minutes, use some smoker chips and a non-light beer next time!

The basic recipe is simple: Rub a whole chicken with Olive Oil, Salt, Pepper, and any other Dry Rub you like, place chicken upright with 1/2-full can of beer inside the cavity and cook indirectly on med-high heat with cover closed for at least 1 1/2 hours (letting it stand 10 mins before carving). The first time I did this, it made a mess of my grill, so I've been putting the chicken on a tin-foil pan to catch the drippings. I've also heard of people poking additional holes in the beer can for better flavor infusion.

Anyone else brave enough to put a can of perfectly good beer up a chicken's butt and cook it???
Oh yeah!! We have cooked beer can chicken several times and I do believe Detroit Dan has cooked them many, many times. Yummy!
My sister makes this a lot. If you want a better tasting chicken( and a little more done) put an onion in the cavity near the neck. The chicken steams from the inside out, and it gets a little more flavor.
(05-25-2011 07:23 PM)nettiesaur Wrote: [ -> ]My sister makes this a lot. If you want a better tasting chicken( and a little more done) put an onion in the cavity near the neck. The chicken steams from the inside out, and it gets a little more flavor.

Yep..I have done this as well.
I have heard about this using chicken turkey goose...practically any bird. One of my "more redneck kinfolk" even tried this with pheasant duck and, perish the thought, a pig in the ground. I haven't tried it, in part because I dont want to waste good Guinness on a bird, but I suppose I could break down and get a 6 pack of American beer and try it. I hear that you can use a clove of garlic AND onion, but also heard about using things like spicy peppers, or maybe putting cloves in the skin. The variations on this are just about what ever trips your trigger I guess. I still havent figured out the pig deal yet though.
(05-25-2011 09:06 PM)boomer Wrote: [ -> ]I have heard about this using chicken turkey goose...practically any bird. One of my "more redneck kinfolk" even tried this with pheasant duck and, perish the thought, a pig in the ground. I haven't tried it, in part because I dont want to waste good Guinness on a bird, but I suppose I could break down and get a 6 pack of American beer and try it. I hear that you can use a clove of garlic AND onion, but also heard about using things like spicy peppers, or maybe putting cloves in the skin. The variations on this are just about what ever trips your trigger I guess. I still havent figured out the pig deal yet though.

A Pig???? Really??? Not sure I want to know where one would put the can of beer!! Will have to try the onion and garlic next time though...and/or buy a Weber Kettle!
If you knew this guy, you might understand. He's half Cajun and half Tennessee Hillbilly and half just big heart. Great hunter, but not sure sometimes about his "cuisine". All I know is he said he tried putting four beers in a medium sized pig, and then they wrapped it in tin foil and put it in the ground for 6 hours. I told him I'd take his word for it.

I have eaten his food though - deep fried turkey/chicken - to die for!
I've had the pleasure to make this a number of times, most often on the bbq but occasionally in the oven. We often call it "drunk chicken" or "sh*t faced chicken" for those uncouth-ed among us (like me!). For the beer we usually use Molson Canadian, a pretty much standard 5% alcohol brew which is ubiquitous around these here parts.

I've tried using some heartier ales and lagers but, well, I frankly can't tell the difference between a chicken done with Canadian or anything else.

I like the idea of the onion. Am definitely going to try that. Perhaps some garlic as well.
We've done it with a can of soda(have some friends who don't drink) and it worked too. I think it's just a matter of having some
source of liquid to keep the chicken moist.
A can filled with dried herbs/spices and apple juice works well too.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's