Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill

Full Version: In Search of Single Track Roads
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
While riding in Europe, primaily in England, Bubba and I had the great pleasure of spending many happy days and miles on single track roads. We are wondering if other riders have ridden such roads in North America where they are rare and difficult to find. Please share. Thanks.

PS...Just finished the first draft of Bubba's latest Tale from the Road. It should be sent out soon. I'll give everyone the heads up.
We used to live at the end of a long single track road, in our old Black and White cottage. Nice, except for stupid sheep who wont get out of the way.
(06-02-2011 10:48 AM)Brutus Wrote: [ -> ]While riding in Europe, primaily in England, Bubba and I had the great pleasure of spending many happy days and miles on single track roads. We are wondering if other riders have ridden such roads in North America where they are rare and difficult to find. Please share. Thanks.

PS...Just finished the first draft of Bubba's latest Tale from the Road. It should be sent out soon. I'll give everyone the heads up.

There are a million of them here in AZ, but they are dirt and mostly old ranch roads, but in good condition. We have USGS maps of nearly all of N AZ and love to explore. You turn a corner and come across an ancient log cabin and wonder who lived there, or find ruins and think about settlers or Indians and their day to day lives. We've crested hills and come upon huge herds of pronghorn antelope or elk that make the ones on hunting shows look like babies. You shift from dense ponderosa forests with grazing cows (a weird sight, indeed) to alpine meadows and back again. In the most remote place you find a plaque that commemorates the last fight between the Cavalry and Apaches. And in all the travels, it is exceedingly rare to see another human. Good stuff!
Been on a scant few in the states Brutus. In the mountains outside of Bakersfield, CA. I think it was in the Choctaw (?) area in the mountain range NE of the city. There were lots of little 'Sumpin'Ville towns up there that had a few very nice close call-creating roads winding through that entire area. It was intermittently track-no lines/narrow two lane with line roads, that ultimately led us out via a smooth, winding two lane that ran a river course down out of the mountains.

I Googled it: "Round Mountain Road" was one of the routes we ran that day. Very nice.
If you ride the back roads of the western U.P you might find a few, especially around Ironwood/Bessemer/Hurley.
Welcome Back B!!!

I know of only a few that I have travelled. There is one I took in New Hampshire up in the mountains by the White Mountain National Forest. Took that one in the peak of fall - what a memorable drive that was. Then there is the one I took on a Honda in Conneticutt in 1984, but remembering exactly where those are is a bit tough because I was not actually driving those days. I can tell you I took one in an old Triumph TR4 I think in the northern Highlands of Scotland with an old Navy buddy who managed to buy that car from one of the locals. We had an absolute blast on that road, maybe in part because we weren't so worried about oncoming traffic.

Not really surprised at that revelation though - but that comes from being stationed over there in the military.
I'd(or rather have the Hubby -he's at work) suggest roads from here in WI and as Nettie says the U.P., but seeing a certain rider on the Aerostich web page I'm thinking you two may have knowledge of some of them. Smile
(06-02-2011 05:13 PM)Gungawoman Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-02-2011 10:48 AM)Brutus Wrote: [ -> ]While riding in Europe, primaily in England, Bubba and I had the great pleasure of spending many happy days and miles on single track roads. We are wondering if other riders have ridden such roads in North America where they are rare and difficult to find. Please share. Thanks.

There are a million of them here in AZ, but they are dirt and mostly old ranch roads, but in good condition. We have USGS maps of nearly all of N AZ and love to explore. You turn a corner and come across an ancient log cabin and wonder who lived there, or find ruins and think about settlers or Indians and their day to day lives. We've crested hills and come upon huge herds of pronghorn antelope or elk that make the ones on hunting shows look like babies. You shift from dense ponderosa forests with grazing cows (a weird sight, indeed) to alpine meadows and back again. In the most remote place you find a plaque that commemorates the last fight between the Cavalry and Apaches. And in all the travels, it is exceedingly rare to see another human. Good stuff!

Confused Hello, and yes, there are tons of single tracks in arizona as Gungawoman suggest. Although, Whileon your way from Tx ( through Az ) to the west, Please use EXTREME CAUTION as there is a serious wildfire in the eastern part of the state. I would regret not warning you of this as I look forward to the shows in Az and Ca in the upcoming weeks. Stop and roast a marshmallow for me and good luck.Confused
There's a number of them in Northern Minnesota. Primarily fire roads, logging roads, etc. Any ADVRider forum member should know about the ride across America. Starts in North Caroline and ends in Washington State IIRC. Quick searches aren't finding the info though. But, I'm half asleep...

Many take the trip on either 650's. But, it's very doable on BMW1200's.
(09-04-2011 06:11 AM)ForceTen Wrote: [ -> ]There's a number of them in Northern Minnesota. Primarily fire roads, logging roads, etc. Any ADVRider forum member should know about the ride across America. Starts in North Caroline and ends in Washington State IIRC. Quick searches aren't finding the info though. But, I'm half asleep...

Many take the trip on either 650's. But, it's very doable on BMW1200's.

True, true...we ADVrider guys do know some of them. I am pretty sure there are also a number of logging rds thru central and Southern MO as well. Was going to head down that way this morning to check out some of the curvy double letter county rds...but alas the bike needs a new chain and shprockets.Sad
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Reference URL's