Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill

Full Version: Recipes for Breast Cancer Healing and the "Kitchen Phobic"?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I am going to post this here as I cannot find a more suitable place for it. Brutus, if this is not the place or you deem it not appropriate for "Bubba's Bar and Grill" you have my permission to delete it. No hard feelings, I promise!

As there is not easy way to say this... My wife is currently battling Breast Cancer. So far the prognosis is good, but as a spouse who loves to cook, I have been asked to help the nutritionist at the hospital prepare a brief cookbook full of EASY (4-6 steps max and perhaps even using some previously or store bought prepared ingredients) recipes that a spouse (who may often be afraid of the kitchen) can make to help out when their loved one is not feeling like eating, let alone cooking for the family.

As we all know, nutrition is so important in maintaining health as our loved ones work towards recovery and remission, especially when overall calorie intake is minimal immediately following treatment. If my wife is an indicator, her appetite does come back, but as it comes back there are other unique factors to deal with, cravings, aversions etc.

So, I would appreciate any recipes, help etc. that meet the above criteria especially from anyone who has helped a loved one through this. I do have several cookbooks, but find that most of the recipes etc. are way to complicated for someone afraid of the kitchen to attempt.

Thanks!
I would be all over this one Counselor..

My culinary skills are dodgey to say the least (but I'm learning) and by the sounds of it, this cookbook would be perfect for me. Good luck with your endeavor.

Also, I'm sorry to hear about your wife's cancer, but also glad that it looks like she is going to get through it.
Oh, I'm so sorry, counselor! But how lovely that your wife's prognosis is positive and that you are working on such a worthy project.

My suggestion would be to try to grow one's own veggies, fruits, herbs as much as one is able. As far as which herbs to grow: rosemary, parsley, thyme, mint and dill. All have various compounds that have been shown to be effective against cancer cells.

Best of luck to you and if I run into any more info, I will post here Smile
I am so sorry to hear this news Counselor. I am glad to here that the prognosis is good though. I'm guessing that it was caught early.
Well at the moment, I don't have any recipes. However, when my mom was going through recovery (she chose not to do any chemo and just take supplements. Personally, I think that chemo and supplements together are the better deal), she had read that Vitamin A was really great. So she bought a juicer and large bags of carrots and was drinking carrot juice and putting the pulp into any recipe that she could think of (I had a rather orange-y birthday cake that year). I definitely would not recommend going overboard on that. However, Healthfood stores and even a naturepath might have some good recipe ideas too. Another place that may have some good recipes and food ideas is the Weimar Institute (or College). They're Seventh Day Adventists, but they do know a thing or two about food.
Good idea Counselor, and sorry to hear about your wife, good she has a positive prognosis though. I don't really have any different suggestions, other than to echo what Scythe said about the fruits & veggies, and add that when my Dad was in his final months, his only complaint was that he wasn't able to taste different foods any longer, and everything seemed bland.(apparently chemo causes this) But as far as "quickie" meals go, that aren't as bland as most out-of-the-box recipes, Zattarains makes some really good starters that can be spiced up with chicken, keilbasa, etc. Hugs and best wishes to you & Mrs. Counselor!
Thanks all!

Garden Fresh veggies are accounted for for sure. Prob. more than Mrs. Counselor would like Dodgy

I will be sure to check out these and other forth coming (big assumption here I know) ideas. Last year we had our first child. This year we are battling cancer and though they have both pushed me to grow as the chef at home. They have both done so in very different ways.

Thanks again.
Hopefully Mrs. C will feel like eating various things, I read somewhere that the smells of lavender,pepermint and eucalyptus are good to help the body also.
All the best wishes and thoughts for a speedy recovery for your wife. My mom went through that a few years ago... it's no fun at all.
I don;t know that much differnce in foods will make that much a difference. (as long as it's reasonably healthy to begin with) and also, with the treatments, there are foods that she won't be able to stand.
I know my mother, for the day or 2 after her chemo, could only eat confort foods - she'd make (or my dad would) homemade mac & cheese.
I don't have the recipe on me, but there are a million of them out there...
Hey Counselor,
How are things going with you and your wife? How is she feeling and how are you doing?
A few of us were wondering about you the other night while waiting for the movie, and thought we should check in on you guys!
Y'know, I was just thinkin' about that the other day...hubby had a successful experiment with a fermented Habanero sauce, which we ended up cutting w/honey to lessen the "bite," and I thought, "Wonder what Counselor would think of our lil' concoction? And how is his wifemate gettin' along?"

Would love to hear an update when you get a chance!
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's