Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill

Full Version: British ales
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

August23g

Theakston's Old Peculier

[Image: oldpe2.gif]

This will not come as a surprise to many of you who, like myself, love British ales, but an ode to Theakston's Old Peculier would be well worth sharing early on here. Had I written one yet, of course.

Best on tap, as most great ales - less bubbles mean it's easier to down than the bottled version. But if you're nowhere near a suitable tap (wrong side of the channel or the pond), bottled is an acceptable compromise.

Old Peculier, the dark, strong, rich, slightly fruity, ruby-coloured historic ale, is probably the best of all dark matter you have ever tasted. When I tried it for the first time, I made a note to self never to forget this "port of all beers", with apologies to all ale, beer and wine lovers. As you will find, Old Peculier is to beer what port is to wine.

http://www.theakstons.co.uk/ales/

August23g

wow, good spot! thank you & cheers
Theakston OP is a truly great beer!! As mentioned on the Favourite Ales thread, Fullers ESB is also a great pint, (only ever seen it in London on tap though and definitely best on tap), and also Hicks Special Draught - HSD referred to by fishermen in the tiny Cornish fishing habour "Mousehole" as High Speed Diesel.
"It's Brains you want!" Although as I work right by Brains brewery and the smell is absolutely disgusting first things in the morning, I don't really like drinking their ale...
I do seem to like Brittish ales, although not always, more than most American examples. I prefer more of a malty flavor more than a strong hoppy flavor. And although it isn't the greatest, Newcastle Brown is one of my mainstays.
My favorite beer is right here at home in northern California green Sierra Nevada. Have you ever looked at the label? You can see as far as Colorado. Boston Samuel Adams is a second favorite. Heineken might take it's place. Buds are on the tongue.
I really enjoy Worthington's White Shield IPA, although I don't see it around too often. Anyone else tried it?
Fuller's do some good ones too, like the ESB as previously mentioned and I like London Pride, again it seems to be a rarity locally as I've only been able to have it on draft once.
Badger's Golden Champion is a nice refreshing summery ale too, worth a try....yeah...I like me ales!
(04-04-2011 02:57 PM)Scottish_lass Wrote: [ -> ]I really enjoy Worthington's White Shield IPA, although I don't see it around too often. Anyone else tried it?
Fuller's do some good ones too, like the ESB as previously mentioned and I like London Pride, again it seems to be a rarity locally as I've only been able to have it on draft once.
Badger's Golden Champion is a nice refreshing summery ale too, worth a try....yeah...I like me ales!

Lass - you know your ale! Top banana mate!Big Grin
(04-04-2011 02:57 PM)Scottish_lass Wrote: [ -> ]I really enjoy Worthington's White Shield IPA, although I don't see it around too often. Anyone else tried it?

I am going to have to look for some of those around here. One of the nearby markets carries an amazing selection of brews...local and imports.
I always enjoy an Adnams Broadside, or Roadside as the locals call it. Top notch swill.

In the past couple of years I've drunk planty of US interpretations of Ale, but find most of them waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy too overhopped, and generally too strong too. They need somebody to learn about a good "Session" Ale.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's