Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill

Full Version: Bread Pudding for Cancer Patients
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Over on Daily Kos, I work with a group of folks whose job is to read every diary that is published and promote the ones that are well-written, interesting and mostly ignored. They call us the Rescue Rangers. A couple of them are fighting cancer. One of them shared this recipe. I wanted to share it because of our own dear friends who are in similar straits. Heart

1 package (4-serving size) Jello Vanilla Pudding Mix (not instant--you want the kind that you cook)
1/4 cup sugar
3 cups milk
1/4 cup raisins
2 Tbsp. grated lemon rind (optional)
1 Tbsp. butter
1/2 tsp. vanilla
6 slices (or more) cubed bread, dry.
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg

Combine pudding mix and 2 Tbsp. sugar. Add 2 cups milk, blend well. Add raisins and lemon rind. Cook and stir over medium heat to a full boil.
Remove from heat, stir in butter and vanilla. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, pour remaining 1 cup milk over bread cubes to moisten. Stir into the pudding mix.
Pour the whole mess into a 1 quart baking dish. Combine remaining sugar and spices. Sprinkle over pudding.
Run under the broiler until the sugar/spice mix is browned and bubbly (around 4 minutes)

Serve warm. Extra good with heavy cream, and damn the calories!

That is the recipe as I received it. Here are my personal changes:

*I don't add the lemon rind usually, although it provides a nice flavor twist (good for when you're not queasy)
*I also use a half-cup or more raisins.
*The choice of bread is important. My best results have come from dried French bread--it holds up to the pudding better and provides a satisfying substantiality to an otherwise soft food. I usually add more than the measly 6 slices. My great-aunt used to use stale cake in hers, but we never have cake long enough to let it go stale.

Usually I eschew mixes--cake, pudding, or otherwise. This is the one recipe I'll use a mix for. It always turns out well.

This particular bread pudding probably saved me from IV nutrition, and after the bone marrow transplant, it was the way I worked my hyper-nauseated system back to accepting food. So there's a therapeutic component to my advocating this recipe.
That sounds pretty good. I make bread pudding myself now and then. (just finished a serving of our latest batch.) my issue is that we rarely have enough custard to really soak the bread enough.
However, I do make a caramel rum sauce to go over it....
cup of brown sugar,
stick of butter,
quarter cup dark rum
dash of salt
combine the bunch to a simmer (yeah, melt the butter first then add the rest)
yum....
I tried to make Bread Pudding for Pen.... It must have been a texture thing because she thought it would be great but could not handle it. Tried Rice pudding .... same result. I even tried using candied Ginger in it, rather than the lemon, still not happening. The chickens ate well those days as I HATE these two deserts (its the custard). Finally started making Sorbet, lemon and lime, and that not only appealed but settled her stomach and refreshed.
Reference URL's