Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill
What's your favourite beer? - Printable Version

+- Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill (http://www.neilpeart.net/bng_forum_beta)
+-- Forum: Sources, Tools and Techniques (/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: Wine, Beer, Cocktails, Beverage and Food Combinations (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: What's your favourite beer? (/showthread.php?tid=185)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

RE: What's your favourite beer? - RN-PRN - 04-14-2011 09:21 AM

(04-14-2011 09:16 AM)NWoBHM Wrote:  I must admit to different seasons different tastes, cold deep winter = strong dark nutty ales, powerful red wines, hot summer = chilled cider and ice, lager, chilled wines.........

My tastes go that way as well Smile

RE: What's your favourite beer? - sullysue - 04-18-2011 07:22 PM

I'm enjoying a Shiner Bock right now, watching the Texas Rangers.

Shiner Bock is a Bavarian bock made here in Texas. Good, reliable, hearty beer.

RE: What's your favourite beer? - RN-PRN - 04-18-2011 09:02 PM

(04-18-2011 07:22 PM)sullysue Wrote:  I'm enjoying a Shiner Bock right now, watching the Texas Rangers.

That is a tasty one. We have that up here is MI Smile

RE: What's your favourite beer? - sullysue - 04-18-2011 09:12 PM

(04-18-2011 09:02 PM)RN-PRN Wrote:  
(04-18-2011 07:22 PM)sullysue Wrote:  I'm enjoying a Shiner Bock right now, watching the Texas Rangers.

That is a tasty one. We have that up here is MI Smile

Really? I don't know where its distributed outside of Texas. But, I know it isn't available everywhere. Have you tried the Blonde or any of the others? You really can't go wrong with Shiner.

I also like Fat Tire. But I haven't had one in ages.

RE: What's your favourite beer? - RN-PRN - 04-18-2011 09:17 PM

Not yet, but we love variety and try all kinds of microbrews and unusual brews.

RE: What's your favourite beer? - chickenhawk - 04-18-2011 09:22 PM

Im a Coffee Brandy gal myself.

RE: What's your favourite beer? - SpaceCadet - 05-20-2011 12:36 AM

Whoa - Samuel Adams has a new Kolsch brew that's only available in a variety 12-pack named "Summer Styles," and I'm pleasantly surprised. I haven't had a decent Kolsch since imbibing one that Widmer Brewing had on tap (briefly) at their now-defunct B. Moloch pub at 9th and Salmon in Snortland, Oregon.

Widmer's had the required light character but with a bouquet of flavoring hops so intense that it fairly leapt from the top of the glass and slapped your face. Too bad they didn't make it a permanent brew.

Anyhoo, this Sammy Kolsch blurbs itself on the little neck label as follows:

"Our version of the traditional German K├Âlsch style [umlauts are important!] is fragrant and complex. The Alsation [sic] hop we chose imparts a subtle citrus note. Jasmine Sambac, a night blooming Southeast Asian flower, adds a delicate floral aroma and flavor to this layered and refreshing brew. Cheers! Jim Koch"

I'm stunned to find that for once a promotional description of flavor does not lie or exaggerate; if anything it's an understatement. It's a perfect light summer beer but its citrus character is mercifully devoid of those rotten lemon adjuncts so many brewers ineptly dump into the mix, and the Jasmine flavor...! I'm stunned to find that I can actually taste the jasmine - it just slowly, exquisitely, unfolds a few seconds after you've swallowed. It's been a long, long time since I've experienced a more appealing and original aftertaste.

'Gonna go to their website, make some raving noises, then demand that they make this a permanent, year-'round brew. Amazing stuff. Not amazing enough to knock Wychwood's Wychcraft out of my top spot, but...amazing nonetheless. Get it while it lasts.

RE: What's your favourite beer? - fordprefect42 - 05-20-2011 07:37 AM

Sam Smith makes some of the most amazing beers ever. The Oatmeal Stout is a particular favorite. I love me some belgian blondes (who doesn't?). Amber lagers are always a good standby (Fat Tire or Yuengling anyone?).

I love beer. I hate hops. go figure. sierra nevada and stone and terrapin can all kiss my ass. give me a good porter, stout, hefewiesen (did i spell that right?) or a good lager. American light beers don't count, although a regular Bud hits the spot on occasion.

Schlafly out of St Louis makes really good beer. Yazoo Brewery here in Nashville makes some fantastic beer. You'll never go wrong with a Guinness but if you've never tried the Left Hand Milk Stout then you're really missing something. If the label says the beer is made by Unibroue then try it for sure.

and last, but certainly not least, is my most favorite springtime beer EVAR. Abita Strawberry Lager. Light enough to make it very easy to drink with a very slight hint of strawberry. I typically steer away from fruity beers but i've wasted many an afternoon on that one....
also, i was at Magnolia brewery in san francisco a couple of weeks ago. it's on haight street. here's a pic of my Cole Porter (GREAT name for a beer) and the fancy cheese i got along with it.
one last thing for all you beer lovers. if you don't know this song (or this band), you should :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1ybW7f0H88

RE: What's your favourite beer? - joyw - 05-20-2011 09:09 PM

Peroni! From Italy, It's the best I've ever tasted!

RE: What's your favourite beer? - NWoBHM - 05-21-2011 01:59 AM

(05-20-2011 09:09 PM)joyw Wrote:  Peroni! From Italy, It's the best I've ever tasted!

Always a favourite when I am in an Italian restuarant - a large Peroni and bread sticks, while I think about what I am going to order.......