Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill
What are you listening to? - Printable Version

+- Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill (http://www.neilpeart.net/bng_forum_beta)
+-- Forum: Sources, Tools and Techniques (/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: General Discussion and Other Off-Topic Interests." Caution"!!! This is NOT a band forum (/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Thread: What are you listening to? (/showthread.php?tid=273)

What are you listening to? - old honda rider - 05-31-2010 07:37 AM

Just recently I discovered a jazz conductor/composer that I had never heard of before named Bob Florence. I heard a cut of his called Dukisms (his tribute to Duke Ellington) off his Whatever Bubbles Up CD on Toronto jazz radio station 91.1 and was blown away by the arrangements and the drums in it.

I had to order the disc from an American distributor as, for some reason I don't understand, the CD wasn't available from a Canadian one. It cost me a lot for a CD, about $22 I think, but it's worth every shekel.

Aside from Rush, Burning for Buddy Vols. 1 & 2 and other NP-associated material, what makes the rounds in your CD player on a regular basis?

RE: What are you listening to? - Nettie - 05-31-2010 08:16 AM

Muse:Black Holes and Revelations
U2 18
Third Day Chronology
Incubus: Greatest hits(it has another title, but it's out in the car)
Linkon Park... there's a couple of different ones in the car
Todd Rundren, greatest hits
The Who Greatest hits

and various Rush Cd's of course, usually Snakes and Arrows live, Cd 1.
Then there's the alternative stuff: Mgmt, and a few obscure things.
Then there's the rest if the Christian Rock collection, and an Etta James cd.
I like all kinds of stuff, give me variety in my music!

RE: What are you listening to? - Flynn - 05-31-2010 10:25 AM

Right now my rotation includes:

--Burning For Buddy vol.1 - I keep coming back to this cd because it just makes me feel good.
--David Gilmour - On an Island - Just picked this up recently. It grows on you. Fantastic.
--Frank Sinatra - Nice N' Easy - Always gotta have Sinatra in the que. This one is underrated, but
great from start to finish.
--Brian Wilson - That Lucky Old Sun - This is a superb album that just blends in with Summer.

This rotation is perfect for firing up the barbecue in the back yard and enjoying the afternoon, which, by the way, I think i'll go do!

RE: What are you listening to? - Mufasa - 05-31-2010 10:26 AM

At this moment - bagpipes. (Memorial Day here) It is drifting across the field that separates my home from a local cemetery. Eerie and moving...

I really have no preference when I am working; what I do for a living takes pretty intense concentration (at times), and I am usually on the phone with an irate technician or owner/operator anyway...
However, Sting can calm me faster than anything else. "Fragile" is still a beautiful piece of work to me. Something about his arrangements fits my psyche. No matter the mix, Sting is usually in there somewhere.
"Big Money" (our pals) can quickly have me irritating my co-workers with my staccato on my desk (especially the ending).
Til Tuesday - Aimees' voice and lyrics still gives me chills. The vid to "Coming Up Close" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtOgwFzhlyw) is one of my favorites.
I do a lot of browsing on YouTube to discover older gems that I have forgotten about, and then try to locate them for my collection.
Little River Band was one of the most talented vocal groups ever. John Farnhams voice was simply incredible. ("You're The Voice")
Vince Gill - pretty much the only "country" I listen to. Another incredible voice that surrounds himself with the best musicians possible.
"Adriana" was the first song my wife and I danced to, by a river - in the middle of Summer, right before I was due to leave for home again.
During a paintball game, I usually have (in my head) "Plowed" by Sponge playing, or Billy Idols version of "LA Woman"... anything driving and powerful.

I tend to go through "daily soundtracks" when it comes to music. There are simply too many artists and groups that I like to get stuck on one or two.
I'll be happily tapping away to my internal, unheard soundtrack of the day, and my bride tells me all the time, "You're playing over the top" (drummer joke) when she grabs my hand in the car. Drives her crazy.

RE: What are you listening to? - Bageleth - 05-31-2010 01:32 PM

Usually what is playing in my CD player in the car is what the kids put in: Toby Mac, The Newsboys, and The Jonas Brothers

RE: What are you listening to? - Neilbubbachuck - 05-31-2010 03:53 PM

Oh man! My taste in music is obvious. To us that is an absolute and has remained unchanged. However my palatte has changed outside of Our band in the last 30 years that I have been a fan. I am finding a growing love for jazz that I never had before. But it's going to have to be The likes of John Schofield or else I get bored. Jazz is wierd, I had too.
I love my grandmothers piano playing. Somedays I will sit in her living room and listen to her play for hours. She plays anything and plays it very well. At age 91, she sometimes rocks out the Moonlight Sonota, oh man! This song absolutely rips me in two when she plays it. Always bringing me to a tear.
And she is the oldest living fan I believe that still cranks out most of the "standards" on the piano.
I can't seem to find any bands that move me these days to be truthful. I dig Hatebreed and some hardcore bands a bit. I just watched Metallica's Some Kind Of Monster last night for the first time and that brought back a whole lot a memories. Man they were loud. I remember working as a security guard at the Broome County Arena in Binghamton in 1990. I was able to check out a few bands coming into town back then. Haha vanilla ice, Ratt, Crew and that whole ball of wax. But once in a while the GIANT's would come through and I'd take the night off from work to watch closely.

I am a fan of Darrell Abbott to this day. I must say that Darrell was kind and treated people well. By chance, he and I shared a friendly Crown Royal one evening in a smokey Irish pub in NYC talking about how much someone could actually drink before they exploded. I loved Dime. He is missed.

And now I must say that the newly added tunes of the vault are AWESOME! and Thankyou Kindly.

RE: What are you listening to? - Paul Doherty - 05-31-2010 04:12 PM

Went to see Tony Levin's "Stick Men" last year and became converted. They just released a new CD called "Soup". I was never a King Crimson fan until the Stick Men won me over, they played several songs from Crimsons "Red" LP.

My favorite all time band is "The Who", tons of material that never gets old.

U2 is a band that always pushes the envelope and is exciting to watch live.

RE: What are you listening to? - NWoBHM - 05-31-2010 04:29 PM

UFO - Strangers in the Night, Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous, Led Zep - The Song Remains the Same, In Through the Outdoor, RUSH - Exit Stage Left, Moving Pictures, Free and Bad Co, Whitesnake - Live in the Heart of the City, Randy Rhodes, Deep Purple - Made in Europe, Made in Japan, Santana - Moonflower, Billy Cobham - Red Baron, .......amazing how much of it is live recorded albums.........I like to hear the Marshalls feedback every now and then!

RE: What are you listening to? - wasabi cymbal - 06-03-2010 08:26 PM

Caravan is the all time best RUSH song ever! Digging St. Vincent mucho right now. Tool. Buck Owens. Avi Buffalo. PORCUPINE TREE! Mr. Oysterhead AND Buckethead. Johnny Cash. Miles Davis and John Coltrane..............also been listening to Southern Zen---some great Texas music.

RE: What are you listening to? - JrGtr42 - 06-03-2010 08:49 PM

I'm listening most to a guy local to me, he's from Worcester Massachusetts, named Big Jon Short INterseting stuff, using a resonator guitar, cigar box guitar and suitcase kick drum.
Just switching out the CDs in my car, which was Paul Butterfield Blues Band, REM's Accelerate, Pink Floyd's Animals, The Watchmen soundtrack, Chickenfoot (the supergroup with Chad Smith of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Michael Anthony and Sammy Hagar, ex-van Halen and Joe Satriani, and Metallica's Death Magnetic.
Yeah, I have a wide range of musical tastes.