Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill
Growlers - Printable Version

+- Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill (http://www.neilpeart.net/bng_forum_beta)
+-- Forum: Share with us tales of journeys involving travel, food and music. (/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Forum: Delving into Distilleries, Wineries and Breweries (/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Growlers (/showthread.php?tid=374)

Growlers - Laffitupfzbl - 09-01-2010 01:58 AM

Anybody heard of these? A local brewery (J. Rhodells) sells growlers, which are essentially large jugs. Think moonshine. So you get it for a certain price, full of beer. Then you can take it back and have it re-filled (well, I think they swap you out a new one each time so they can steam clean it) with whatever brew you'd like. They sell a few national brands at the brewery, but also sell their own artisan beers - a few stable lines, then a few seasonal flavors, and even a line that changes the recipe slightly each month. Pretty cool and the price on refills is very reasonable. If I drank a lot of beer, I'd be all over it.

RE: Growlers - JrGtr42 - 09-07-2010 09:41 PM

Most brewerys sell those, some only at the brewery itself, others do sell them through regular liquor stores (or whatever the equivalent is around the country)
I've collected a bunch of them here and there, and actually reuse them 9when I don't get them refilled at the brewery) for my homebrewing.
Easier to put a bunch in big half-gallon jugs than in small 12-oz bottles... or even the 22-oz ones I normally use.

RE: Growlers - Scottish_lass - 04-05-2011 03:01 PM

I first heard of those when I went to a place called Du Claw in Maryland, they're a pub and restaurant but they brew their own beer and bring out a new one every so often. I managed to time it right for the introduction of their Scotch Ale called <drumroll>....Twisted Kilt...lol! But I have to say, when I first heard them use the term "Growler" I just about fell off my bar stool!

RE: Growlers - NWoBHM - 04-05-2011 03:53 PM

(04-05-2011 03:01 PM)Scottish_lass Wrote:  I first heard of those when I went to a place called Du Claw in Maryland, they're a pub and restaurant but they brew their own beer and bring out a new one every so often. I managed to time it right for the introduction of their Scotch Ale called <drumroll>....Twisted Kilt...lol! But I have to say, when I first heard them use the term "Growler" I just about fell off my bar stool!

I have heard the term used in the UK for an ugly woman out on the town. Growler that is.....

RE: Growlers - Mufasa - 04-05-2011 07:13 PM

Also a term for a very difficult moment in the bathroom.... (via Dennis Miller) I'll let you deduct the rest.

RE: Growlers - Boomer - 04-06-2011 11:45 AM

In the immortal words of my long lost brother in law who passed away 14 years ago....."Come on ICE SCREAM!!!"