Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill
Birds and Butterflies - Printable Version

+- Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill (http://www.neilpeart.net/bng_forum_beta)
+-- Forum: Sources, Tools and Techniques (/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: General Discussion and Other Off-Topic Interests." Caution"!!! This is NOT a band forum (/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Thread: Birds and Butterflies (/showthread.php?tid=405)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

Birds and Butterflies - VincentUlyssis - 09-28-2010 07:50 PM

I've always loved watching our winged pals. The Gold Finches have been feeding on my coneflower and black eyed susan. The Blue Jays seem to love when I put out cracked corn. "Everyone" loves the black sunflower seeds; mourning doves, starlings, sparrows, chickadees... Robins stick around for the worms on the lawn and in the beds.

This has been a great butterfly season. I planted fennel in addition to our butterfly bushes, aster, and so many other butterfly species. I saw the Monarchs, Black Swallowtail, Viceroy, little white and yellow ones whose name I forget, and skippers of every type.

I noticed a lot of dragonflies this year and saw a dwarf blue variety that was nothing short of amazing!

What have you seen?

RE: Birds and Butterflies - Bageleth - 09-28-2010 08:00 PM

(09-28-2010 07:50 PM)VincentUlyssis Wrote:  I've always loved watching our winged pals. The Gold Finches have been feeding on my coneflower and black eyed susan. The Blue Jays seem to love when I put out cracked corn. "Everyone" loves the black sunflower seeds; mourning doves, starlings, sparrows, chickadees... Robins stick around for the worms on the lawn and in the beds.

This has been a great butterfly season. I planted fennel in addition to our butterfly bushes, aster, and so many other butterfly species. I saw the Monarchs, Black Swallowtail, Viceroy, little white and yellow ones whose name I forget, and skippers of every type.

I noticed a lot of dragonflies this year and saw a dwarf blue variety that was nothing short of amazing!

What have you seen?

We tend to have a lot of finches in our trees and bluejays in our yard. I think that in the 13 years that I've lived in this house, I've only seen 3 hummingbirds. I used to leave food out for the birds, however, we have cats, and we came to the realization, that leaving birdseed out, was really setting up a smörgåsbord for the felines. So I had to stop.

When I married my husband, he brought a Blue Front Amazon Parrot with him. However, that is a whole other story. It was very interesting though. I know for sure now, that I prefer seeing birds flying around outside, and not squawking and talking in the house.

RE: Birds and Butterflies - VincentUlyssis - 09-28-2010 08:08 PM

I saw two hummingbirds this summer. One was feeding on Purple Salvia. Very cool!

RE: Birds and Butterflies - Nettie - 09-28-2010 08:19 PM

I've seen more butterflies this year, especially monarchs and painted ladies. I'm partially responsible for the painted ladies...my students raised a batch in the spring, and then released them. They are native to the area, but haven't been seen much until recently.

RE: Birds and Butterflies - Mufasa - 09-29-2010 07:44 PM

Took a Monarch to the sternum at a buck-ten yesterday on K96.

RE: Birds and Butterflies - Boomer - 09-29-2010 07:51 PM

We went to Daytona back in July, and just outside of Louisville, Kentucky we hit a small flock of hummingbirds for some reason. We were so upset because we have been TRYING in vain to attract them to our back yards with no luck. I have seen one hummingbird in our yard in the 2 1/2 years we have lived in this house, and I think that poor guy was kiding from the neighbors dog.

Does anyone know an exact surefire method of attracting those little guys?

RE: Birds and Butterflies - VincentUlyssis - 10-03-2010 07:18 PM

I saw them feeding on the Bee Balm (red) and the purple salvia. They love red nectar in particular. They sell feeders that are pretty successful.

RE: Birds and Butterflies - VincentUlyssis - 10-18-2010 07:38 PM

Lot's of finches particularly in my birch trees lately. Blue Jays are quite active. What are you seeing now?

RE: Birds and Butterflies - Boomer - 10-18-2010 08:39 PM

Ahhh saw me an Oriole, a couple Blue Jays, and a number of Cardinals yesterday. No I aam not talking baseball. I took a motorcycle ride to Freedom Rock. Its a big rock that a local artist paints every year in a veterans motif. Check it out at freedomrock.com. Anyway there is a sitting area next to it, and I sat there for half an hour talking to the locals and watching birds.

Also saw some pheasant. Hmmm.

RE: Birds and Butterflies - VincentUlyssis - 10-19-2010 07:00 PM

Oriole! That's so cool. I hardly ever see them. Saw a gray bird with posture like a robin but white in the wings. Not sure what it was but it sure was majestic.

Pheasant. Ever eat it? Pretty good.