Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill
Anyone else ride? - Printable Version

+- Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill (http://www.neilpeart.net/bng_forum_beta)
+-- Forum: Sources, Tools and Techniques (/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: General Discussion and Other Off-Topic Interests." Caution"!!! This is NOT a band forum (/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Thread: Anyone else ride? (/showthread.php?tid=55)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: Anyone else ride? - room temp - 04-23-2010 03:11 PM

Yep, another cyclist/drummer here. I'm in Portland Oregon and the race season has started! My season will start with a road race or two, then it's on to the Velodrome for some track racing (HAIRY). Then Mon. and Tues. nights you can race out at P.I.R. (Portland International Raceway) a 1.9 mile newly paved indy car track w/ 6-20 laps depending on skill level. Then come Sept. it's cyclocross w/ the world famous Cross Crusade and their record breaking fields. 1400 plus for opening day in 2009!!! Anywhoooz, I used to ride my beloved Yamaha RD400 2 stroke but one too many close calls led me to sell the dang thang . Yeah, like cyclings any safer. Peace brothers and no matter the two wheeler, Ride On!

RE: Anyone else ride? - ForceTen - 04-23-2010 09:25 PM

Nothing wrong with riding bicycles either. Smile I ride them as well. Everything from commuting to racing (triathlons). Although, I've never owned a mountain bike for off road trails. One of these days I will....

RE: Anyone else ride? - Rey - 04-23-2010 10:58 PM

(04-23-2010 02:41 PM)Brutus Wrote:  
(04-23-2010 01:57 PM)Rey Wrote:  I know this thread is intended to be about motorcycling, but I thought it would be okay to mention another form of riding. Why yes I like to “ride”… a bicycle that is. I know not as exciting as motorcycling, but still fun and a good form of exercise, and sometimes you can ride where a motorcycle cannot. Since I ride mostly for recreation and enjoyment, I prefer to do it off the street away from all the noisy cars and trucks. Around here where I live in the Midwest, the best places to ride are bike trails that have been converted from old railroad grades. These preserved corridors make excellent bicycle trails, often going through scenic areas you can never see from a road. Since they were originally made for trains, hills are also kept to a minimum, grades usually being gradual which means easier pedaling. The only traffic to deal with are other bikes, and the occasional road intersection, but even those are often ridden over on a bridge. The trails near my house take me through cool woods, farmers fields, and along meandering rivers. Instead of aggressive, honking drivers, there is only the friendly nod from other passing cyclists. It truly is the best way to ride (but sorry no motorized vehicles allowed).

My favorite trail to ride, when I can get up there, is one in Wisconsin called the Elroy-Sparta bike trail. This railtrail is unique in that it has three good size rock tunnels through the hills. It is kind of like a work, then reward type ride. There is a pretty steep grade (as far as railroads go) leading up to each tunnel, so you are straining as you work your way up, steady for several miles. Lets say it’s a warm day too, so you are really hot when you get to the top. You enter the tunnel and you are rewarded with a rush of cool air, natural air conditioning from within the hill. One of the tunnels is close to a mile long, when you get inside the other end looks like a keyhole of light in the distance. You hear running water as it drips down the tunnel walls, and sounds echo all around in a natural, eerie reverb. When you exit the tunnel it is all downhill for several miles into the next valley, so you can coast and take it easy, until its time to start climbing again to the next tunnel. Not to mention the nice scenery of farmlands and woods this all passes through in central Wisconsin, lots of fun that’s for sure.

-Rey
Well told. I have memories of living in Quebec near Lac St. Brutus every summer for about 10 years. It has the same thing happening there where they've ripped up the old train tracks and turned them into bike paths in the summer and cross country ski trails in the winter. And because of the strain on the old train engines that ran those routes there is nothing more than a 10% rise or fall in elevation. In the area I lived in Quebec in the Laurentian Mountains around St. Sauveur there were 1000s of kilometeres of trails. Everyday, all summer long, you could ride something new. It was great. Another contrast is the summer I spent in Keene Valley, NY. There were only 3 ways to cycle out of the valley and everyone of them involved climbing the mountains to escape. I never did although I came close. Most rides (no mountain bike with a gazillion gears, just my faithful Trek with 12 in those days) I'd climb and climb 'till the bike slowly and agonizingly came to a stop....Then, looking carefully for trafic that wanted to kill me, I'd do a U and head back down...30 and then 40 miles an hour....Yikes! Don't do that at home kids.

Hey Brutus,

Racing down the mountain on a bicycle, eh? I hope you were wearing your armored leather suit. Actually that would look pretty funny while riding a bicycle. Your post made me laugh because I have done the same thing, careless as it was. I came out of one of the tunnels mentioned above and started to go down the hill on the other side. I suddenly decided I wanted to see how fast I could go, so I bent down and started pumping the pedals furiously, faster and faster down the grade, zooming along with my momentum building over the next mile or so. I had no speedometer, so I had no idea how fast I was going, but it was fast, with the wind making quite a roaring sound in my ears. Up ahead I spotted a grade crossing, a public road crossing the trail. There was no way I was going to be able to stop, I tried looking to the sides to see if any cars were coming, but the trees blocked the view. I had to rely on the knowledge that this was a rural road without much traffic, and that the odds would be in my favor. I got lucky and passed the road without mishap. I then slowly coasted to a stop and waited up for my friend who I had left far behind. It was quite a thrill, but it was also a really stupid thing to do. At 6’5” and 250lbs, I would have made quite a dent in the side of someone’s car. Of course I was wearing no helmet or anything else protective, I was just dressed like a regular guy, I didn’t even have one of those fancy spandex costumes I see all the cyclists wearing. But I have become more safety conscience since then, started wearing a helmet, and no more foolish stunts like that.

-Rey

RE: Anyone else ride? - MacDaddy08 - 04-23-2010 11:03 PM

I ride a '93 Goldwing and live in Southeast Michigan. Anyone even remotely close that wants to go cruisin' just send me a message and I'll do the best I can to go. I would love to do a ride to Toronto, Canada this summer. I just received my passport last fall and have had the urge to visit Canada. Maybe we can start a thread of places and things visit. Canada, Black Hills of South Dakota and West Virginia are 3 places I would really like to ride to. Cool

RE: Anyone else ride? - old honda rider - 04-24-2010 06:55 AM

I ride a vintage (read=old) Honda CB650C and love it. It's got that in-line 4 cyl engine in it that you just can't kill. Keep the oil changed regularly and adjust the valves every 30,000 kms and it just keeps going and going and going... Currently it's got over 76,000 on it and still runs like a top. Love the thing. It's not a fire-breathing speed demon by any stretch but, for my riding style, it suits me perfectly. It's the same bike that's in my avatar pic, taken in mid-April.

MacDaddy08, a ride to Toronto is worth the trip. Riding in Toronto, however, is something else entirely.

I live about an hour southwest of Toronto, so when you have a plan to come this way, drop me a note and we'll connect.

RE: Anyone else ride? - MacDaddy08 - 04-25-2010 07:32 PM

(04-24-2010 06:55 AM)old honda rider Wrote:  I ride a vintage (read=old) Honda CB650C and love it. It's got that in-line 4 cyl engine in it that you just can't kill. Keep the oil changed regularly and adjust the valves every 30,000 kms and it just keeps going and going and going... Currently it's got over 76,000 on it and still runs like a top. Love the thing. It's not a fire-breathing speed demon by any stretch but, for my riding style, it suits me perfectly. It's the same bike that's in my avatar pic, taken in mid-April.

MacDaddy08, a ride to Toronto is worth the trip. Riding in Toronto, however, is something else entirely.

I live about an hour southwest of Toronto, so when you have a plan to come this way, drop me a note and we'll connect.

I shall keep you in mind and hopefully I will have the time to make this ride happen this summer!

RE: Anyone else ride? - GillGrylls - 04-25-2010 08:14 PM

I ride. currently on a trip right now in Northwest USA. I ride a 1999 BMW R1150RS and a 2010 Victory Kingpin 8-Ball I just purchased recently.

RE: Anyone else ride? - ForceTen - 04-25-2010 08:44 PM

(04-24-2010 06:55 AM)old honda rider Wrote:  MacDaddy08, a ride to Toronto is worth the trip. Riding in Toronto, however, is something else entirely.

I'll agree with the Toronto area looking like a great place to ride. My family and I drove from MN to Grimsby back in summer of '05. Aside from the straights of the long, boring 401, 402 and 403 between Port Huron and the lake, the rest looks great.

Unfortunately, I was stuck in a mini-van while making the daily commute from Grimsby to Fergus so I couldn't enjoy the roads on two wheels. But, between training and competing in the heavy events at the Scottish Festival, I probably would have been a danger to myself and others with how tired and beat up I was.

Toronto is on my list of places I must visit again. Even though i never did make it to Toronto itself... Next time, i will.

RE: Anyone else ride? - Boomer - 04-26-2010 02:22 PM

To say I like to ride is a bit of an understatement. Unfortunately, it is hard to find fellow riders with similar tastes and appetites. I am hopeful that some time during the month of August I can make it up to the Twin Cities on my bike, but we will see. Its our 25th wedding anniversary this year, and my wife has another destination a bit further south for a week of resting on the beach, attending some sporting events, and more resting on the beach.

RE: Anyone else ride? - whip - 04-26-2010 03:59 PM

I ride a VTX 1300R. I live in eastern Oklahoma and am blessed with some great roads to ride, I love going to the mountains for a ride.