Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill
Anyone else ride? - Printable Version

+- Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill (http://www.neilpeart.net/bng_forum_beta)
+-- Forum: Sources, Tools and Techniques (/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: General Discussion and Other Off-Topic Interests." Caution"!!! This is NOT a band forum (/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Thread: Anyone else ride? (/showthread.php?tid=55)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: Anyone else ride? - GillGrylls - 04-30-2010 01:10 AM

today i rode just under 274 miles. I got to my hotel and parked quite far from the front lobby as there was no close parking. A guy driving a big ass Ford King Ranch Truck was no where near my parking spot as I parked and came rushing over to me and started talking sh*t and literally knocked my bike over. now i got broken mirror, my gps is cracked and scratches all around the tank. I have never in my life seen someone get so pissed off over a FAR AWAY parking spot to do something this crazy. Luckily I have witnesses and a police officer pulled into the parking lot. Sooo, that guy just got himself a nice bill for repairs.

At this point after 3 weeks away from home and dealing with two deaths in the family within 10 days, flying home to Texas to deal with that and now heading home....I just want to be home in my comfy bed and chair. So i hope everyone else out on the road has had better luck with their travels than mine.

RE: Anyone else ride? - ForceTen - 04-30-2010 04:15 AM

Wow, sorry to hear about that and your family members passing, Gill. Hope your trip home is safe and uneventful.

RE: Anyone else ride? - Nung - 04-30-2010 09:35 AM

You bet!
I am mostly a street rider with a kawasaki ZX-10R and a Triumph Daytona 675. But, I do get out on dual-sports at times (borrowing a bike). I have ridden a bicycle MUCH longer than a motorcycle however and have almost 40 years of experience on road bicycles and a bit less on mountain bikes. Bikes, music, good food, drink, philosophy, photography, camping/hiking, nature and many other elements make up my interests.

It is no wonder that alot of us have very wide-ranging interests like Mr. Peart...he is a flag waver for being a well-rounded, grounded, and open-minded individual. Many of us have gravitated towards his books and lyrics because we also value being complete individuals and see in him a kindred soul.

Forgive my wandering themes but this is my first post here and I just want to thank everyone involved for what promises to be a great Forum.

RE: Anyone else ride? - dirtydingo - 04-30-2010 10:02 AM

As a kid I rode a Frankenbike. My older brother worked for Yamaha and he came across an old Kawasaki F-175 that was sitting in the shop getting dusty. He rebuilt it for me using spares from the shop (an original hybrid). I would ride with kids with Yamaha Yz's and Suzuki RM's nothing over 125cc and it was so much fun.

I live in a very congested suburban area that is not motorcycle freindly much less tank safe.. I work in the insurance industry and have seen a surge of accidents involving young riders who are victims of bad judgement and bad drivers. For anyone who rides please don't depend on the other guy to lookout for you. Please pay attention to the road, other vehicles. Too many accidents have been caused by riders cutting through traffic lanes and not taking into consideration that most auto drivers have a difficult time seeing them.
Be safe and enjoy your ride!!

RE: Anyone else ride? - old honda rider - 04-30-2010 10:04 AM

(04-30-2010 10:02 AM)dirtydingo Wrote:  For anyone who rides please don't depend on the other guy to lookout for you. Please pay attention to the road, other vehicles. Too many accidents have been caused by riders cutting through traffic lanes and not taking into consideration that most auto drivers have a difficult time seeing them.
Be safe and enjoy your ride!!
Wiser words have rarely been spoken.

Glad to have you aboard, DD!

RE: Anyone else ride? - NWoBHM - 04-30-2010 11:40 AM

I used to ride a Honda 900 FB2 1981, and have thought about having a go again, and quite like the look of the GS1200, 850, 650 etc. I worry though if I had something fast I might be tempted to race Audi and BMW drivers, and lacking the skills and reactions I had in 1981 hurt myself.....badly.
I also think of the friends I had back in the late Seventies and early Eighties, one 17, one 22, killed on bikes, one at 21 in a wheelchair, not to mention a couple of others I knew of, who also were killed. Very dangerous and unforgiving.

RE: Anyone else ride? - Brutus - 04-30-2010 12:50 PM

What you report is a sad truth. I think much of it comes from improper training and allowing young men to drive bikes they have no idea or training to handle. Everything is easy until something goes wrong. I myself gave up riding 400 pound machines that go 140 mph. Sooner or later if you ride enough miles you are going down...I used to know a guy that had escaped that inevitability, but then he didn't. RIP....that simple...

RE: Anyone else ride? - Nung - 04-30-2010 01:01 PM

(04-30-2010 12:50 PM)Brutus Wrote:  What you report is a sad truth. I think much of it comes from improper training and allowing young men to drive bikes they have no idea or training to handle. Everything is easy until something goes wrong. I myself gave up riding 400 pound machines that go 140 mph. Sooner or later if you ride enough miles you are going down...I used to know a guy that had escaped that inevitability, but then he didn't. RIP....that simple...

Yes, Brutus, especially in America (where one can go from non-rider to having a liter bike in a day or two) we invite trouble by making it a bit too easy to get a bike and a bike license. Training is very important. Starting on a smaller bike is important. But perhaps the most important thing is to have a mature mind that is focused on the task at hand and is aware of just how quickly things can become out of control. No matter how much training, if the intellect doesn't override the emotions, one has a large chance of getting into serious and painfiul trouble.

RE: Anyone else ride? - M-I-C - 04-30-2010 01:05 PM

(Insert Brand) Sometimes 500 miles for a pack of gum. But more often, for a decent glass of wine (whether its 50 or 1500 miles).

RE: Anyone else ride? - ForceTen - 04-30-2010 02:08 PM

(04-30-2010 01:01 PM)Nung Wrote:  
(04-30-2010 12:50 PM)Brutus Wrote:  What you report is a sad truth. I think much of it comes from improper training and allowing young men to drive bikes they have no idea or training to handle. Everything is easy until something goes wrong. I myself gave up riding 400 pound machines that go 140 mph. Sooner or later if you ride enough miles you are going down...I used to know a guy that had escaped that inevitability, but then he didn't. RIP....that simple...

Yes, Brutus, especially in America (where one can go from non-rider to having a liter bike in a day or two) we invite trouble by making it a bit too easy to get a bike and a bike license. Training is very important. Starting on a smaller bike is important. But perhaps the most important thing is to have a mature mind that is focused on the task at hand and is aware of just how quickly things can become out of control. No matter how much training, if the intellect doesn't override the emotions, one has a large chance of getting into serious and painfiul trouble.

One thing I'd like to see is a return to the graduated MC endorsement such as what we had in the past and is implemented in places such as Australia and UK I believe. You start off on a bike under 400cc, then up to 750cc, then can move up to larger as you gain more experience and show proper handling.

Many people dislike this, as it's not "freedom" and is the gov't interfering (in a sense I agree) in our lives. But, IMO, a graduated system is in a rider's best interest as it builds their skills and keeps them in check.

I keep kicking around the idea of getting a BMW, KLR, or other large enduro bike for long trips and commuting. But, part of me enjoys the relative comfort of riding tracks where everyone goes in the same direction and cars aren't allowed. Very controlled environment.

Nothing wrong with having a sub 400 pound bike and going 140+ on the track. I just don't let my emotions, ego, etc. get the better of me.