Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill
Anyone else ride? - Printable Version

+- Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill (http://www.neilpeart.net/bng_forum_beta)
+-- Forum: Sources, Tools and Techniques (/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: General Discussion and Other Off-Topic Interests." Caution"!!! This is NOT a band forum (/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Thread: Anyone else ride? (/showthread.php?tid=55)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: Anyone else ride? - tnrider - 04-30-2010 03:38 PM

(04-28-2010 04:11 PM)Malazan-Bubba Wrote:  I ride a 91 Honda VFR. A great bike. I have over 50k on it, and it still pulls like it came off the show room floor.

I've got a 2000 VFR.
Great Bikes
(04-30-2010 10:02 AM)dirtydingo Wrote:  As a kid I rode a Frankenbike. My older brother worked for Yamaha and he came across an old Kawasaki F-175 that was sitting in the shop getting dusty. He rebuilt it for me using spares from the shop (an original hybrid). I would ride with kids with Yamaha Yz's and Suzuki RM's nothing over 125cc and it was so much fun.

I live in a very congested suburban area that is not motorcycle freindly much less tank safe.. I work in the insurance industry and have seen a surge of accidents involving young riders who are victims of bad judgement and bad drivers. For anyone who rides please don't depend on the other guy to lookout for you. Please pay attention to the road, other vehicles. Too many accidents have been caused by riders cutting through traffic lanes and not taking into consideration that most auto drivers have a difficult time seeing them.
Be safe and enjoy your ride!!

Met a waitress who also works at a Yamaha dealer that sold a kid a new R1. Kid brought it back one week later toatled. He had no motorcycle lisence and no insurance. In the interest of being a responsible business owner and caring about another human being at least look out for public safety. Our state laws really need to change. Guess you can't fix stupid not only from the dealers standpoint but the kid that bought the bike.

RE: Anyone else ride? - Nung - 04-30-2010 04:17 PM

(04-30-2010 03:38 PM)tnrider Wrote:  
(04-28-2010 04:11 PM)Malazan-Bubba Wrote:  I ride a 91 Honda VFR. A great bike. I have over 50k on it, and it still pulls like it came off the show room floor.

I've got a 2000 VFR.
Great Bikes
(04-30-2010 10:02 AM)dirtydingo Wrote:  As a kid I rode a Frankenbike. My older brother worked for Yamaha and he came across an old Kawasaki F-175 that was sitting in the shop getting dusty. He rebuilt it for me using spares from the shop (an original hybrid). I would ride with kids with Yamaha Yz's and Suzuki RM's nothing over 125cc and it was so much fun.

I live in a very congested suburban area that is not motorcycle freindly much less tank safe.. I work in the insurance industry and have seen a surge of accidents involving young riders who are victims of bad judgement and bad drivers. For anyone who rides please don't depend on the other guy to lookout for you. Please pay attention to the road, other vehicles. Too many accidents have been caused by riders cutting through traffic lanes and not taking into consideration that most auto drivers have a difficult time seeing them.
Be safe and enjoy your ride!!

Met a waitress who also works at a Yamaha dealer that sold a kid a new R1. Kid brought it back one week later toatled. He had no motorcycle lisence and no insurance. In the interest of being a responsible business owner and caring about another human being at least look out for public safety. Our state laws really need to change. Guess you can't fix stupid not only from the dealers standpoint but the kid that bought the bike.

So true!
Yo, TNRider! VFR's ARE great. I had a 2007 for almost two years but traded it in on my ZX-10r. I wish I could have kept all three bikes but that is a bit much to consider right now! I always enjoyed the VFR but the sexy rocketships just called a bit too loudly to resist even if I am an old man of 50!

RE: Anyone else ride? - browndriver - 04-30-2010 11:30 PM

I ride a 2004 KLR 650. One of my favorite street rides is a loop that starts on Idaho Hwy 21 from Boise to the Stanley Basin. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idaho_State_Highway_21

If I'm lucky (and have permission from the ceo of our family, if you know what I mean), I then head south down Idaho 75 past Alturas, Redfish, and Pettit lakes. Over Galena Summit, into Ketchum, Hailey, and Bellevue Idaho. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idaho_State_Highway_75

Then west on US Hwy 20 thru Fairfield, over Cat Creek Summitt, into Mountain Home. Then it's back to "reality" on I-84.

Through out that route there are many Forest Service/ BLM roads to explore. Some day, I want to make the same trek using only the aforementioned Forest Service/BLM roads to make the same trip.

RE: Anyone else ride? - NWoBHM - 05-01-2010 11:59 AM

(04-30-2010 12:50 PM)Brutus Wrote:  What you report is a sad truth. I think much of it comes from improper training and allowing young men to drive bikes they have no idea or training to handle. Everything is easy until something goes wrong. I myself gave up riding 400 pound machines that go 140 mph. Sooner or later if you ride enough miles you are going down...I used to know a guy that had escaped that inevitability, but then he didn't. RIP....that simple...

Totally agree with you Brutus. There was a racing driver, might have been Stirling Moss, (not sure), who said, "travelling at 100 mph is of little consequence and does not feel fast at all.............until you have lost control......and then it feels very fast indeed!"

RE: Anyone else ride? - Sololson - 05-02-2010 11:36 AM

As motorcycle riders and food enthusiats, Im wondering if anyone else hear has seen "Feasting on Asphalt" on the Food network. I watched this a couple of years ago and would love to see it again. I only saw the second season, but I always liked Alton Brown's approach in "Good Eats", and seeing him do an entire series of travelogue style shows from the saddle of his bike was just too cool. Guess I might have to pick up the DVD's so I can watch 'em again. Anyone else checked them out?

RE: Anyone else ride? - old honda rider - 05-02-2010 11:52 AM

(05-02-2010 11:36 AM)Sololson Wrote:  Im wondering if anyone else hear has seen "Feasting on Asphalt" on the Food network.
Personally I've never even heard of this program, but a quick Google search turned up the first season of the series available on DVD from Amazon. Seriously cool, two of my four great loves - food and motorcycling - woven together. I absolutely must check this out. Thanks for the tip, Soloson!

RE: Anyone else ride? - Sololson - 05-02-2010 12:17 PM

(05-02-2010 11:52 AM)old honda rider Wrote:  Personally I've never even heard of this program, but a quick Google search turned up the first season of the series available on DVD from Amazon. Seriously cool, two of my four great loves - food and motorcycling - woven together. I absolutely must check this out. Thanks for the tip, Soloson!

No problem, hope you enjoy!Wink

RE: Anyone else ride? - GillGrylls - 05-02-2010 09:26 PM

i know people enjoy riding very fast but I never really got into that. Too many times I see these young kids on their crotch rockets doing stunts. I once saw a group of young kids doing stunts on a very busy road at night and then passed up my car. a few blocks up two of those riders had an accident in the middle of an intersection and were not moving. plain ignorance. I ride for the pure pleasure and I keep my eyes open for my surroundings at all times.

I never really could get into the Harleys. Nice bikes but just not really my favorites. Thats why my first bike was a R1150RS. I love it. Went on to get a R1200GS and now a Victory Kingpin 8-Ball. Thats about as big a bike as I want. I do agree with others about more strict licensing laws. It is very easy for people to get a license and i remember in my class almost half of them were not comfortable with riding. Pretty scary thinking they will be on the road with their bikes and not be totally sure they can handle the responsibility.

RE: Anyone else ride? - SID - 05-03-2010 10:39 AM

Twenty-four years after selling my '66 Norton Atlas to pay for college, I bought a BMW F650 a few months ago. I love the bike. The bike will be used for my short, back-roads commute and weekend scenery and camping rides. I am an ATGATT rider (all the gear, all the time).

And who knows, one of these days, maybe a long cross-country trip.

RE: Anyone else ride? - Flazer - 05-03-2010 12:12 PM

(05-02-2010 11:36 AM)Sololson Wrote:  As motorcycle riders and food enthusiats, Im wondering if anyone else hear has seen "Feasting on Asphalt" on the Food network. I watched this a couple of years ago and would love to see it again. I only saw the second season, but I always liked Alton Brown's approach in "Good Eats", and seeing him do an entire series of travelogue style shows from the saddle of his bike was just too cool. Guess I might have to pick up the DVD's so I can watch 'em again. Anyone else checked them out?

Eric,

I have yet to see the series, but I've read about it and will eventually get it through netflix if I can. Since we're in the same realm of Sacramento, we should get together and do some of these destination rides to nowhere, finding mom and pop places for good eats. I can see travel-food logs in a section on this forum already Big Grin.

(05-02-2010 09:26 PM)GillGrylls Wrote:  i know people enjoy riding very fast but I never really got into that. Too many times I see these young kids on their crotch rockets doing stunts. I once saw a group of young kids doing stunts on a very busy road at night and then passed up my car. a few blocks up two of those riders had an accident in the middle of an intersection and were not moving. plain ignorance. I ride for the pure pleasure and I keep my eyes open for my surroundings at all times.

I never really could get into the Harleys. Nice bikes but just not really my favorites. Thats why my first bike was a R1150RS. I love it. Went on to get a R1200GS and now a Victory Kingpin 8-Ball. Thats about as big a bike as I want. I do agree with others about more strict licensing laws. It is very easy for people to get a license and i remember in my class almost half of them were not comfortable with riding. Pretty scary thinking they will be on the road with their bikes and not be totally sure they can handle the responsibility.

Gill,
I completely agree. I am one of those younger guys, but I am not of the sorts that stunts on freeways or rides 140+ mph to get the thrill. As a young rider, I hate being lumped into that general category of squid-ness (no gear, riding to fast, no insurance/minimum insurance, etc...). This is why I sold my 2006 Kawasaki ZZR600 (previous generation of the ninja redesigned for better ergos as a mini-sport tourer), and currently ride a ZRX1200R, which is more standard and brings out a hooligan side Big Grin.

My first bike was my uncle's 1972 Honda CB175, which I brought back from a 20 year hibernation. My dad is currently toying around on it, learning to ride. I took the MSF class, as this was the only way to get my license, and I believe it is an important tool in teaching good riding habits/skills. It's ridiculous that you can study and take a 15 question written exam, and then be given a permit to ride with very few limitations.

My 16 year old brother can't get a permit to operate a car without taking the first of several in car driving instructions...Huh