Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill
Doh!!! moments - Printable Version

+- Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill (http://www.neilpeart.net/bng_forum_beta)
+-- Forum: Sources, Tools and Techniques (/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: General Discussion and Other Off-Topic Interests." Caution"!!! This is NOT a band forum (/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Thread: Doh!!! moments (/showthread.php?tid=688)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Doh!!! moments - Nettie - 06-29-2011 11:03 PM

(06-29-2011 10:46 PM)burma.girl Wrote:  Why I shouldn't get dressed in the dark.....
At my previous job, I was at work a good 30 minutes before I noticed this:

Of course, I was soooo embarrassed that I had to show all my co-workers, take pics aaaaand post it on FB.

Silly grrrrrl.....

Been there, done that. Only I didn't realize it until my class came in and the 6 year olds pointed it out.Blush

RE: Doh!!! moments - Bageleth - 06-30-2011 12:34 AM

(06-29-2011 11:03 PM)nettiesaur Wrote:  
(06-29-2011 10:46 PM)burma.girl Wrote:  Why I shouldn't get dressed in the dark.....
At my previous job, I was at work a good 30 minutes before I noticed this:

Of course, I was soooo embarrassed that I had to show all my co-workers, take pics aaaaand post it on FB.

Silly grrrrrl.....

Been there, done that. Only I didn't realize it until my class came in and the 6 year olds pointed it out.Blush

LOL

RE: Doh!!! moments - MAL_ONE - 06-30-2011 09:30 AM

The wife and I picked up a friend for the RUSH concert the other day, one
who happened to be holding our tickets also. After our friend entered the
vehicle, seeing that the concert was about 200 miles away, I thought it
might be prudent to ask "Do you have the tickets?" He proceeded to
get out of the car and back into the house to get all the tickets.
NICE ! ! ! Big Grin

RE: Doh!!! moments - Bageleth - 06-30-2011 09:53 AM

it's a good thing that you asked before you left!

RE: Doh!!! moments - OrionGal - 06-30-2011 12:23 PM

Don't think I've ever left my bike on, but - take off without turning on the fuel, more than once (have probably left the fuel on more than once also, but it's never been an issue if I left it on, didn't leak anywhere). Start to take off without unlocking the fork lock - once.

Get to work with similar but different shoes, never - but I have made it to the car before realizing they weren't an exact pair.

Most recent D'oh moment was going out to Phoenix for the Rush concert. Plane ticket, check - concert ticket, check - hotel and car reservations, check - camera and other handheld devices and associated chargers, check. Getting out of the car at my local airport, I looked right at my GPS unit and thought - should I take that? Nah, I'm flying - what will I need that for?

Er, but you're going to be driving once you get there...but of course that thought didn't actually occur to me until I was on the second leg of my flight. And worst thing is, I have been to Phoenix many times, and I have all kinds of favorite places programmed in from previous trips - so even if I get one with the car, I still won't have my favorites to punch up. D'oh! Rental-car company was out of them for hire as well, so had to rely on the phone and/or written directions for navigation - but of course, I had only brought the wall charger for the phone as well, figuring that end-of-day charging would be enough (and it normally is, unless you've got GPS turned on...). Don't know what I was thinking, except - get there! Big Grin

RE: Doh!!! moments - Boomer - 06-30-2011 02:09 PM

You can add me to the cretins list who takes off without turning the fuel on. Ordinarily I dont do that- especially on a long ride to wherever...I try to pay extra attention if I ever do have to shut the bike off for awhile. But - just down the road from my office is a little dinner that I go to sometimes for lunch, and for some reason from time to time I shut the fuel off when I go in and forget to turn it back on. I get about....ohhhh 300 feet. Then there are the evenings when I pull into the garage, shut the bike off, hit the security faub, and go in.....but the next morning the fuel is on. Oops - Usually on start up the bike reminds me by a big old back fire that wakes up the neighbors.

Never the fork lock though.

RE: Doh!!! moments - OrionGal - 06-30-2011 05:43 PM

(06-30-2011 02:09 PM)boomer Wrote:  Never the fork lock though.

Ya, you'd think you couldn't ever do that - since most of the time you do straighten up the bike before going anywhere, and will notice then. For whatever reason (I want to say there was something parked close in front of me), I was going to take off in the same position it was locked in (wheel all the way to the left), and didn't catch it until I tried to straighten up and couldn't.

I was just lucky that I was going very slow to begin with and didn't drop it.

I have also never forgotten to put the kickstand down before standing up/getting off, but I've seen plenty of others do it. I have made one stupid drop though - put my foot down on the low side on banked pavement. Fortunately there were few witnesses, LOL - and, also fortunately I had someone with me to help me pick it back up. When he stopped laughing at me long enough to, that is... Rolleyes

RE: Doh!!! moments - smoker guy - 06-30-2011 07:26 PM

I`ve never rode off with the forks locked either...only because the ignition key is integrated with the fork locks. BMW must have envisioned goofballs such as me when they designed my bike. VCame close to dropping it a couple of weeks ago tho. My bike is a bit on the tall side as its a dual purpose and didn`t quite notice left side was a shade lower than the right side an as I got off I had a bit of a wobbly moment where I thought here we go, but thankfully my right foot didn`t hang up on the saddle and I was able to keep everything upright.

RE: Doh!!! moments - Boomer - 07-01-2011 09:22 AM

When I first got my Harley, I took a ride up north of here, and got separated from the group I was with, so dummy me, in my fit to catch up, slammed on the throttle and was doing fine until this "S" curve. I went into the first curve ok, but carried way too much speed and drifted into the second lane and almost into the ditch before I caught it. Never ever get in a hurry on a bike. After that I slowed back down and caught up, but the lesson was learned. Luckily it only served as a lesson but it could have been much worse.

RE: Doh!!! moments - old honda rider - 07-01-2011 10:01 AM

(07-01-2011 09:22 AM)boomer Wrote:  When I first got my Harley, I took a ride up north of here, and got separated from the group I was with, so dummy me, in my fit to catch up, slammed on the throttle and was doing fine until this "S" curve. I went into the first curve ok, but carried way too much speed and drifted into the second lane and almost into the ditch before I caught it. Never ever get in a hurry on a bike. After that I slowed back down and caught up, but the lesson was learned. Luckily it only served as a lesson but it could have been much worse.
Not quite a "Doh!" moment but this story sure rings true for me. There are always a couple of friends that have to break sonic barriers and whatnot.

Well, for me, I have no desire whatsoever to rip into corners at blinding speed or see how fast I can go from 60 to 100. But I have a couple of buddys that ride exactly like that.

Then when I finally catch up with them at the local watering hole (club soda with a twist of lime, pls), they always ask, "What took you so long?" to which I reply, "You ride your ride and I'll ride mine."

And if that means I stay well behind, then I'm perfectly OK with it.