Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill
Patio Gardening! - Printable Version

+- Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill (http://www.neilpeart.net/bng_forum_beta)
+-- Forum: Sources, Tools and Techniques (/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: General Discussion and Other Off-Topic Interests." Caution"!!! This is NOT a band forum (/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Thread: Patio Gardening! (/showthread.php?tid=696)

Patio Gardening! - Patty - 07-06-2011 07:30 PM

I used to grow a HUGE garden of corn, pumpkins, peppers, tomatoes, and broccoli,

Now I live in a condo. I LOVE it! But what can I grow on my patio? I have beefstake and Roma tomatoes in pots. I have thyme, basil,rosemary, stevia, mint, and oregano in the planter on the patio.

RE: Patio Gardening! - Bageleth - 07-07-2011 10:53 AM

bell peppers (if you like them), green onion............still thinking...........

RE: Patio Gardening! - Entre Nous - 07-07-2011 01:30 PM

Garlic is really pretty, but can be fragrant Wink If I have leftover cloves I just stick 'em in whatever pot is handy. Keeps the cats from chewing on my plants, too. Chives, dill, mint, lemongrass work well in pots.

I used to grow pots of curly endive and other leafy greens to add to salads. I seeded two or three pots a week or so apart, and clipped what I needed. They come back a couple times if you don't let them go to seed. I'm sure you could still find starts and skip the waiting.

RE: Patio Gardening! - Dee - 07-07-2011 01:51 PM

Any peppers work very well in containers. I had cubanelles last year and this year I've got bell peppers along with banana peppers and jalapenos. This is the first year I've tried lettuce in containers and it's doing amazingly well. I plan to harvest a head tonight, in fact. I'd like to expand on the lettuces and get a few different varieties. If timed right, you could probably grow a continual supply of lettuce throughout the growing season by staggering the plantings.

RE: Patio Gardening! - Patty - 07-07-2011 04:31 PM

Great ideas that I hadn't thought of! (Especially the garlic). I have five cats and thought I'd grow a bunch of catnip for them. They won't let it grow...they devour the stuff in no time so now there are just little stubs coming out of the dirtSad I guess I'll have to grow it from a hanging planter.

Has anyone had much luck with those "Topsy-Turvy" tomatoes?

RE: Patio Gardening! - Entre Nous - 07-07-2011 04:59 PM

(07-07-2011 04:31 PM)Patty Wrote:  Great ideas that I hadn't thought of! (Especially the garlic). I have five cats and thought I'd grow a bunch of catnip for them. They won't let it grow...they devour the stuff in no time so now there are just little stubs coming out of the dirtSad I guess I'll have to grow it from a hanging planter.

Has anyone had much luck with those "Topsy-Turvy" tomatoes?

We are using them for the first time this year, with Sweet 100 and yellow pear tomatoes. We finally got them done on Father's Day, and I have pics on my phone that I'll dig up and post.

RE: Patio Gardening! - VincentUlyssis - 07-14-2011 11:37 AM

My biggest challenge with my containers is watering. It seems that if you miss a day, forget about it...

RE: Patio Gardening! - Patty - 07-15-2011 12:43 AM

(07-14-2011 11:37 AM)VincentUlyssis Wrote:  My biggest challenge with my containers is watering. It seems that if you miss a day, forget about it...

Boy, is that the truth! It's a good thing that a certain tour ended early this summer, or I would've had to have someone come in and water all this stuff every evening while my silly butt was traveling all over the country.

The funny thing is, my herbs are heartier and bushier in the containers than they ever were in my massive herb garden at my other home. Maybe the limited root space has something to do with this? They're also growing in rich potting soil, rather than the ground.

I don't know, I'm a total novice at container gardening. I'm having fun with it, though! But I miss my corn, pumpkins and zucchini. Sad

By the way, how do they grow those mini-corns that are used in asian cooking? Aren't those delicious? Maybe I could grow mini-corn on my patio. I'll Google it!