Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill
Can asparagus lessen a hangover? - Printable Version

+- Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill (http://www.neilpeart.net/bng_forum_beta)
+-- Forum: Sources, Tools and Techniques (/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: Wine, Beer, Cocktails, Beverage and Food Combinations (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Can asparagus lessen a hangover? (/showthread.php?tid=89)

Pages: 1 2

Can asparagus lessen a hangover? - old honda rider - 04-26-2010 04:01 PM

From the "It's on the internet so it must be true!" file, sent via tweet:

BOOZE BLOCKER: Asparagus can reduce hangovers by almost doubling your ability to metabolize liquor. via @DaveZinczenko @stefanpinto

Turns out that there's actually scientific evidence to back that up. See The Scientifically Proven Natural Hangover Cure: Asparagus

From the article:
Quote:...scientists have found that eating asparagus before or after a night of drinking can help reign in the next day's headaches... In research to be published in the Journal of Food Science, Korean researchers found that extracts taken from the leaves and shoots of asparagus boosted levels of key enzymes that break down alcohol after heavy drinking.

RE: Can asparagus lessen a hangover? - whip - 04-26-2010 05:14 PM

I think the best way to lessen a hangover is not to drink so much... ;p

RE: Can asparagus lessen a hangover? - Laffitupfzbl - 04-26-2010 10:58 PM

We have a friend who is married to a lovely Russian woman, whom he met on tour over there when it was still Russia. Every year, they have a Russian Christmas party, which is 7 January, or on a weekend close to it. It's a great party! Sit down dinner for 20 or so with all these great Russian dishes and vodka, vodka, vodka! They will pull out this manky looking bottle with a hand written label and say "Oh, we bought this off a guy who was selling it at the road side off a card table." But it would be first rate! And they have games and prizes consisting of old Soviet stuff like KGB badges and Saddam Hussein nesting dolls which can be had cheaply over there these days. So the first year we went, I was thinking how badly I would be hurting in the morning. Liquor is not my friend anyway, and the tradition is for EVERYONE around the table to propose a toast as the evening goes on, for which you have to drink a shot. 20 shots of vodka - not doable, even half that would be an issue. But lovely Mariena told me the secret - she had little pickles and crackers with butter and water at each place setting. Eat small bites of all other food, and load up on the crackers and pickles. And she said to sip the vodka, not shoot it. I have to say, for a lightweight such as me, I handled almost 6 shots of vodka that night and woke up in relatively good shape. Can't say the same for my partner, who ignored the crackers and loaded up on fried foods. Of course, his shooter total was closer to 10. Just food for thought - not advocating excessive drinking, but it does happen.

RE: Can asparagus lessen a hangover? - Brutus - 04-27-2010 11:16 AM

I've heard about that excessive drinking thing and I'm thinking that pickles might be a nice alternative to "The horn of the ox that gored ya!"

За любовь!
За счастье

RE: Can asparagus lessen a hangover? - Mom2Liam - 04-27-2010 11:57 AM

I know that your P smells funny after eating asparagus.

RE: Can asparagus lessen a hangover? - valhalla66 - 04-27-2010 04:06 PM

(04-27-2010 11:57 AM)Mom2Liam Wrote:  I know that your P smells funny after eating asparagus.

Yep. Only those of us who are lucky enough to be missing that special enzyme can attest to that Rolleyes. I had not heard that asparagus lessened a hangover...but I know Taco Bell does (if you can hold it down).

RE: Can asparagus lessen a hangover? - ForceTen - 04-27-2010 06:24 PM

(04-27-2010 04:06 PM)valhalla66 Wrote:  I had not heard that asparagus lessened a hangover...but I know Taco Bell does (if you can hold it down).

At least you didn't say White Castle....

RE: Can asparagus lessen a hangover? - valhalla66 - 05-03-2010 04:38 PM

(04-27-2010 06:24 PM)ForceTen Wrote:  
(04-27-2010 04:06 PM)valhalla66 Wrote:  I had not heard that asparagus lessened a hangover...but I know Taco Bell does (if you can hold it down).

Only when I visit my relatives in MichiganSmile

RE: Can asparagus lessen a hangover? - Toomstone - 05-06-2010 07:13 AM

I usually go with Gatorade, or as I call it. "Fire Extingusher"

RE: Can asparagus lessen a hangover? - TC@NYC - 05-06-2010 07:51 PM

(04-27-2010 06:24 PM)ForceTen Wrote:  

Trust me don't do White Castle! Belly Bombs!