Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill
Super Bowl Ribs - Printable Version

+- Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill (http://www.neilpeart.net/bng_forum_beta)
+-- Forum: Recipes: Share your favorite recipes, ask for help and seek out suggestions to help you become a better cook. (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: "If You Can't Smell The Wood, It Ain't No Good" (/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Thread: Super Bowl Ribs (/showthread.php?tid=921)

Super Bowl Ribs - Renaissance Man - 02-12-2012 01:18 AM

I started the night before with a dry rub of spices (peppers, paprika, herbs) Johnny’s seasoned salt, brown sugar, wrapped it in a plastic bag and into the fridge it went. The next day I built a nice smoky fire in my barbeque. I used a bunch of fallen alder twigs that were lying around and draped them on the coals. I put the ribs opposite the coals on a rack and let the smoke work. The temp averaged around 250 and I let them smoke heavily for about and hour and a half. By heavy I mean that I wanted billowing smoke from the lid and if it didn’t I added wood or moved adjusted what was there until it did.
After that I coated them with a glaze of brown sugar, a little soy, a little Worcestershire, hoisin, a little flour to bind it together, and a little hickory BBQ sauce, then back on the rack in the smoke for another hour. They came out perfect.
[Image: IMG00323.jpg]

I like my ribs medium with a little pink, smoked low and slow. The smoke ring was a good ¼ inch in and the glaze coated them with a sweet, spicy, smoky goodness.

[Image: IMG00325.jpg]

RE: Super Bowl Ribs - Nettie - 02-12-2012 04:05 PM

uh oh. lildonner is going to want to add this recipe to the list of stuff to try in her smoker!

I'll have to encourage that.Big Grin

RE: Super Bowl Ribs - JrGtr42 - 02-12-2012 09:55 PM

Looks good.
I ususlly don't like sauce on my ribs - most of them tend to be too sweet for my taste (how is yours? I'd like to know the proportions)
Other than that, my ribs started the same way, but I basted them every half hour or so with a mix of apple juice, water and the spice mix I used as the rub the night before.

RE: Super Bowl Ribs - Renaissance Man - 02-15-2012 07:46 PM

(02-12-2012 09:55 PM)JrGtr42 Wrote:  Looks good.
I ususlly don't like sauce on my ribs - most of them tend to be too sweet for my taste (how is yours? I'd like to know the proportions)
Other than that, my ribs started the same way, but I basted them every half hour or so with a mix of apple juice, water and the spice mix I used as the rub the night before.

I don't sauce either. This is a glaze and it's subtly different. With the flour in it, it binds up the fat as it cooks out of the meat and uses it to thicken the glaze and make it stick to the ribs. There is enough sugar in it to form a very thick coating that still doesn’t stick to your teeth. I like the spice and sweet that the glaze provides without the mess a sauce would have.