Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill
You shouldn't have...!!! - Printable Version

+- Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill (http://www.neilpeart.net/bng_forum_beta)
+-- Forum: Sources, Tools and Techniques (/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: General Discussion and Other Off-Topic Interests." Caution"!!! This is NOT a band forum (/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Thread: You shouldn't have...!!! (/showthread.php?tid=923)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

You shouldn't have...!!! - debskis - 02-14-2012 10:23 AM

In honor of Valentine's Day, I thought I would ask what was the best/worst/weirdest/silliest gift you have ever given or received?? Of course it's the thought that counts and we are grateful for the sentiments, but sometimes you just gotta wonder...at least they make for good stories!!

The gift I will never let my husband live-down was given when we were first married, and it may have even been for my birthday. It was called THE SCUM BUSTER - As Seen on TV!! A power-tool for scrubbing the tub & shower...awww shucks, honey, you shouldn't have!! He was so sincere about wanting to make one of the jobs I hated most easier, and he LOVES getting power tools as gifts, but I obviously didn't have my best poker face on so he knew right away that I was less than excited about it. I kept it and actually used it once or twice, but since that time, he has steered-clear of anything cleaning-related as gifts...Bless his heart!

RE: You shouldn't have...!!! - Boomer - 02-14-2012 02:47 PM

I'm not too proud. Might as well confess my sins now that SHE can laugh about it.

It was Christmas 1985. I was still in the navy stationed in the shipyards in Charleston, South Carolina. We had trouble finding a tree, not for finding one, but finding one that was not the same price as a battleship! We decided rather than spend that much money on a tree, we would string up garland in a corner of our apartment in the SHAPE of a treee. I know - it was corny - but at least it was something. Anyway we got up that morning, and I pulled th presents back from the wall and handed hers to her. I was right proud of myself too, but apparently, Lulu - maybe not so much. She unwrapped it, perhaps thinking it was at least jewelry, or perhaps some special clothing, but upon opening her face went from true beaming happiness to that of a werewolf at midnight! You see, I had never been told that buying a woman an APPLIANCE was a dangerous thing, and I thought what higher praise than to get her an electric can opener, right?

She didnt speak to me for an hour.

Of course, 3 years ago when we bought our house, it needed a stoop for the back door, so I spent $400 on a concrete stoop so she could spend some time on the 3 seasons porch. Hey - she said she wanted a rock!

RE: You shouldn't have...!!! - Markus Awreallyus - 02-14-2012 03:23 PM

This year is kind of different. I'm taking Lorna on a cool date. Picked up tix to see Kansas at a small little theater in Saginaw. Premium seats with private balcony, bar and bathrooms complete with hour pre-show appetizers Tongue and meet and greet.
I am so excited, being a 'wheat head' since '74.
'Journey Form Mariabronn' played on the house music at the Palace before the Time Machine show.
Always a great choice for prog-rock. Cool
Did I mention I'm bringing Lorna? Heart

Happy Valentines Day! BnG mates
HeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeart
This year believe it or not I couldn't keep myself from buying Lorna a weed-whacker with a roto-till attachment for xmas. She loved it. (whew!!!)

RE: You shouldn't have...!!! - Rey - 02-14-2012 03:42 PM

Wow! I didn't do anything near as cool as that. I got her a card and a heart shaped box of candy and a little Valentine balloon on the end of a stick. Kind of dumb really, now that I look at it. Undecided

Maybe the Barry White CD can save me tonight...

(02-14-2012 03:23 PM)Markus Awreallyus Wrote:  This year is kind of different. I'm taking Lorna on a cool date. Picked up tix to see Kansas at a small little theater in Saginaw. Premium seats with private balcony, bar and bathrooms complete with hour pre-show appetizers Tongue and meet and greet.
'Journey Form Mariabronn' played on the house music at the Palace before the Time Machine show.

This year believe it or not I couldn't keep myself from buying Lorna a weed-whacker with a roto-till attachment for xmas. She loved it. (whew!!!)

RE: You shouldn't have...!!! - Bageleth - 02-14-2012 03:48 PM

Boomer, I think that a lot of men learn in that first year or two of marriage, that appliances, are not what a gal wants to get from her man, lol. For my first birthday after we were married, I received from my MIL, a toaster oven. I really had no desire for one, however she said that she knew I'd love that one because her son, my husband, told her that I wanted one. IN REALITY, HE was the one who wanted a toaster oven. Months earlier, when we were registering for wedding gifts, he suggested a toaster oven, and I pointed out that we would have a regular oven and wondered why we'd need a toaster oven. So, we didn't get one. So for my birthday, he tells his mother that I really, really wanted one and I think that by then he had convinced himself that it was me who wanted it. So, for my birthday, I received the perfect gift for him. And he used it right away, and all of the time. Now, it's been 16 years since I received that gift and we've replaced it at least twice because of overuse. It came in very handy when I didn't have a working oven for 3 years, and for the 15 years that we didn't have a microwave oven.

After that, my husband was very leery of buying any appliance for me, even when I said that the one that would be well accepted would be a Kitchen Aid mixer. I finally received that after 6 years of marriage Smile

The most horrid thing I've received so far, was a quilt that my grandpa and his mistress made out of my mom's, aunts, and grandma's old clothes. The mistress even embroidered my nickname and the wrong birthdate on it. On top of that, it was the ugliest thing, and considering who made it, took away any special value that it might have had.

RE: You shouldn't have...!!! - Markus Awreallyus - 02-14-2012 03:52 PM

[quote='Rey' pid='32688' dateline='1329255736']
Wow! I didn't do anything near as cool as that. I got her a card and a heart shaped box of candy and a little Valentine balloon on the end of a stick. Kind of dumb really, now that I look at it. Undecided

Maybe the Barry White CD can save me tonight...

I have never done anything like this in the past. Just good timing. The show wasn't advertised, not even on their page. We were just driving through a couple weeks ago and voala, K-band at the Temple Theater. So we're making the best out of it. Angel

RE: You shouldn't have...!!! - debskis - 02-14-2012 03:56 PM

(02-14-2012 03:48 PM)Bageleth Wrote:  Boomer, I think that a lot of men learn in that first year or two of marriage, that appliances, are not what a gal wants to get from her man, lol. For my first birthday after we were married, I received from my MIL, a toaster oven. I really had no desire for one, however she said that she knew I'd love that one because her son, my husband, told her that I wanted one. IN REALITY, HE was the one who wanted a toaster oven. Months earlier, when we were registering for wedding gifts, he suggested a toaster oven, and I pointed out that we would have a regular oven and wondered why we'd need a toaster oven. So, we didn't get one. So for my birthday, he tells his mother that I really, really wanted one and I think that by then he had convinced himself that it was me who wanted it. So, for my birthday, I received the perfect gift for him. And he used it right away, and all of the time. Now, it's been 16 years since I received that gift and we've replaced it at least twice because of overuse. It came in very handy when I didn't have a working oven for 3 years, and for the 15 years that we didn't have a microwave oven.

After that, my husband was very leery of buying any appliance for me, even when I said that the one that would be well accepted would be a Kitchen Aid mixer. I finally received that after 6 years of marriage Smile

The most horrid thing I've received so far, was a quilt that my grandpa and his mistress made out of my mom's, aunts, and grandma's old clothes. The mistress even embroidered my nickname and the wrong birthdate on it. On top of that, it was the ugliest thing, and considering who made it, took away any special value that it might have had.

NOOOO Skythe!! That's horrible!!! What were they thinking!!!???

Love my toaster oven, btw...comes in very handy for heating up small items that I don't want to run the big oven for. We use it instead of a toaster as well. I'm really over the "no-appliance" rule now. Getting much more practical in my old-age!!
(02-14-2012 03:23 PM)Markus Awreallyus Wrote:  This year is kind of different. I'm taking Lorna on a cool date. Picked up tix to see Kansas at a small little theater in Saginaw. Premium seats with private balcony, bar and bathrooms complete with hour pre-show appetizers Tongue and meet and greet.

Wow MA...sounds like a great date!! Def one band I would love to see live...didn't know they were still performing!!! Enjoy!

RE: You shouldn't have...!!! - Gungawoman - 02-14-2012 04:45 PM

Hubby and I don't give each other anything for Valentine's. We make a scrumptious dinner and that's about it. Tonight, we are actually supposed to go out to a place we've never tried. It's been snowing like crazy all day, so this will be an adventure!
Heart Heart Happy Valentine's Day Heart Heart

RE: You shouldn't have...!!! - Nettie - 02-14-2012 06:02 PM

What did the ex in:
Last year for Christmas I got the promise of a trip in the summer.
No real plan.
Not even a card.

It was the straw that broke the camel's back.

RE: You shouldn't have...!!! - Markus Awreallyus - 02-14-2012 07:07 PM

Nettie... Sad sometimes I wish I could replace the coal in peoples hearts with chocolate kisses! I hope the summer trip was over his own stupid ass! Angry
Did I say that?
Heres one for you [attachment=466]
Heart