Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill
Gadget and "Other" Advice Needed - Printable Version

+- Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill (http://www.neilpeart.net/bng_forum_beta)
+-- Forum: Sources, Tools and Techniques (/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: General Discussion and Other Off-Topic Interests." Caution"!!! This is NOT a band forum (/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Thread: Gadget and "Other" Advice Needed (/showthread.php?tid=953)

Gadget and "Other" Advice Needed - Counselor - 04-18-2012 05:13 AM

So, the family is headed to Florida to see my parents in just a few days. Our little one (not quite two) has NEVER watched an ounce of TV and we will be captive on a plane for WAY to long in order to get there. Nor has K ever been on a plane so, my questions are:

Should we buy a portable DVD player for her to watch when she starts to get overly squirmy, possibly becoming "that child" on her first plane ride, and the toys/activities we do have no longer hold her attention? (We would only show Miyazaki etc movies so content is not really a concern.)

If we should buy one, what brand/model should we look into? Screen sizes and battery life really do seem to widely vary... I can easily head to one of the local suppliers of such products after work tomorrow so any help with this is certainly appreciated. THANKS!

RE: Gadget and "Other" Advice Needed - NWoBHM - 04-18-2012 05:50 AM

Most of the flights I have been on there is loads of entertainment provided - screens, tonnes of channels, all you need are your headphones.

I am guessing you don`t get this on US Domestic flights?

You might think about an iPod, where you can download games, music and films?

RE: Gadget and "Other" Advice Needed - Onebad70ss - 04-18-2012 08:14 AM

Any flight that I have been on in the States always has entertainment provided, for a price..

Do you have a laptop computer? Our last trip out to Hawaii, we just downloaded some movies and a couple of football games that I hadn't seen yet onto our laptop and that kept us going for a few hours. Also packed a spare battery...

RE: Gadget and "Other" Advice Needed - knitterbookbinder - 04-18-2012 09:17 AM

Flights within Canada have a reasonable selection of TV channels to watch, including a kids one. Sounds like she'd be mesmerized with just the movement and colours, but a small light set of headphones (I like Sennheisers) would work for her too.

If you alternate that with whatever fun you can download onto a netbook/laptop (games, movies), you might not need that extra battery....

eta: And at least on Westjet, the television channels are free, but they charge for movies.

RE: Gadget and "Other" Advice Needed - Rey - 04-18-2012 09:39 AM

The flights I have been on didn't have any movies or entertainment at all. Huh And the space was so small I couldn't even open my laptop up all the way.

The best entertainment in my opinion is to look out the window. Here is a photo I snapped looking out the window on a recent flight. You never know what you might see...

RE: Gadget and "Other" Advice Needed - Mufasa - 04-18-2012 06:34 PM

What? Is that Ozymandias?