Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
What are you listening to?
05-29-2011, 09:14 PM (This post was last modified: 05-30-2011 04:56 PM by Nettie.)
RE: What are you listening to?
(05-29-2011 08:04 PM)boomer Wrote:  nettie - if it would help, if yur gonna listen to bluegrass - SCOOT THE HECK OVER and lemme listen too! I listen to Allison Krauss Ricky Skaggs Orange Bottom Boys....love bluegrass. I aint too proud to admit that bluegrass holds a special place for me. I guess my favorite is Allison Krauss (wuf!) but there are tons of bluegrass artists out there who can tear it up. Yeah I am always a rocker, but bluegrass makes me feel like the hillbilly I am!
Frogwater

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-30-2011, 11:58 AM
"O Brother Where Art Thou" is one of my favorite movies, and part of the reason is because of the music!

Earl Scruggs is always great to listen to as well.

A party without cake is really just a meeting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-30-2011, 03:00 PM
I like the soundtrack from the film too, so much so that
my sister and I talked the choir director into doing "Down by the River to Pray" at church. Our lead soprano does a great job with it, and the rest of us sound pretty good too!

05-30-2011, 04:06 PM
My wife actually "made" me go find the soundtrack to that movie.

Nettie - I didnt get that vid. Can you send me a link?

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
05-30-2011, 06:41 PM
Hubby says if you like the Country/Bluegrass sound to check out Blue Highway or Bill Frisell.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
05-30-2011, 06:49 PM
I'm going to put in a shameless plug for a buddy of mine.

I've known Si Sullivan from my days trying to scrape a living in Vancouver, the most ExPeNsIvE city in Canada. Try buying land there. Gwan. Just try.

Anyway, his inaugural album, Groovin', pays homage to some of the blues and roots music that grew out of the American South. But there are also some modern-day experiments with loops, electronica and things I know squat about.

Just to be clear, I know the guy but I have no financial interest in his venture. Wanted to plug him, though, as I sincerely think he's got some stuff.

There's a CBC Radio 3 page devoted to him here.

Also, for the record, that IS a 69 Chevelle rumbling by on the title track.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
05-31-2011, 07:03 PM
(05-30-2011 06:41 PM)2Beers Wrote:  Hubby says if you like the Country/Bluegrass sound to check out Blue Highway or Bill Frisell.

one of Techie sister's favorites.

05-31-2011, 07:56 PM
(05-30-2011 06:41 PM)2Beers Wrote:  Hubby says if you like the Country/Bluegrass sound to check out Blue Highway or Bill Frisell.

I looked them up on Youtube last night. Very good to listen too!

I tried to find Si Sullivan, but haven't had any luck yet. I'll keep an eye (or an ear) out for his music.

Steve Martin has a Bluegrass CD out as well. He's really good!

A party without cake is really just a meeting
06-04-2011, 09:05 AM
It appears that I unintentionally closed and locked the thread. My apologies for that.

It's now unlocked and should be responding as normal.

That said, there's also a new "What are you listening to?" thread started by my friend Nettiesaur.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
06-04-2011, 11:07 AM
(06-04-2011 09:05 AM)old honda rider Wrote:  It appears that I unintentionally closed and locked the thread. My apologies for that.

It's now unlocked and should be responding as normal.

That said, there's also a new "What are you listening to?" thread started by my friend Nettiesaur.

I'm deleting the new, glad you could unlock the old!