Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
What are you listening to?
07-15-2011, 06:44 AM
RE: What are you listening to?
I'd at least go get him some pop and a donut for that! Thats cool!

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-15-2011, 08:10 AM
(07-14-2011 11:13 PM)burma.girl Wrote:  I was in a foul, FOUL mood the other night, stressing 'bout an upcoming trip and all the crap that had to get DONE. Including, the dirty "D" word...DISHES.

It's 11:30pm and I have no choice. Now or never. I inform the hubby I'm "pluggin' in" [code for cramming in earbuds and crankin' up the iPod] and put Vapor Trails on shuffle. Commence loading dishwasher.

Now, I've read/heard many comments about the supposed production flaws of said album, but HEY I'm really a newbie to the more recent music, so I'm clueless. All I know is that the crunchy raw sound immediately changed my mood and made dirty dishes...danceable. Don't think that was the intent the boys were going for, but....

"It's got a good beat and I can dance to it....I'll give it a 92, Dick..."

Yeah I've read those those comments about Vapor Trails and Test For Echo as well. I love both those albums as well as all the others. The Missus isn't a big fan of Vapor Trails, she thinks its too hard/angry. I told her about the trials of NEP, then she understood why. Hmmm I think I shall run to that today, always a good Rush album to listen to.

I'm taking a ride with my best friend...I hope he never lets me down again.
Find all posts by this user
07-15-2011, 10:52 AM
(07-15-2011 08:10 AM)smoker guy Wrote:  Yeah I've read those those comments about Vapor Trails and Test For Echo as well. I love both those albums as well as all the others. The Missus isn't a big fan of Vapor Trails, she thinks its too hard/angry. I told her about the trials of NEP, then she understood why. Hmmm I think I shall run to that today, always a good Rush album to listen to.

Too hard and angry? I dont know that its angry, but it does make some bold statements that, if you saw "Behind the Lighted Stage" Bubba comments to that directly, saying that there was simply no way he couldn't just bypass all that, and I believe the music that came out of Vapor Trails has helped to cement their path back to Righteousness, as well as help him to overcome all those painful and heartbreaking memories. I guess thats why I put Vapor Trails up there in like the Top Five. IMHO!

07-15-2011, 10:54 AM
And the cover is way cool too!
(well - it IS!)

Most of us are so caught up in life that we forget to live it.
07-15-2011, 10:58 AM
The cover is TOTALLY cool! Whoever came up with that was on his A game. Its one of the better covers they have.

07-15-2011, 11:29 AM
(07-15-2011 10:58 AM)boomer Wrote:  The cover is TOTALLY cool! Whoever came up with that was on his A game. Its one of the better covers they have.
Hugh Syme? (not sure of the spelling)

That's one thing I miss about old vinyl records. Some amazing art came out of cover design.

Some examples of personal favourites:

[Image: brain-salad-surgery-emerson-lake-palmer-...er-art.jpg] [Image: coverrelayer.jpg] [Image: war-worlds-jeff-wayne-cd-cover-art.jpg]

Lots of others, too numerous to name.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
07-15-2011, 11:30 AM
(07-14-2011 11:13 PM)burma.girl Wrote:  I was in a foul, FOUL mood the other night, stressing 'bout an upcoming trip and all the crap that had to get DONE. Including, the dirty "D" word...DISHES.

It's 11:30pm and I have no choice. Now or never. I inform the hubby I'm "pluggin' in" [code for cramming in earbuds and crankin' up the iPod] and put Vapor Trails on shuffle. Commence loading dishwasher.

Now, I've read/heard many comments about the supposed production flaws of said album, but HEY I'm really a newbie to the more recent music, so I'm clueless. All I know is that the crunchy raw sound immediately changed my mood and made dirty dishes...danceable. Don't think that was the intent the boys were going for, but....

I always put the boys on when I am in a foul mood. If nobody is home, I turn the stereo on and crank it up. Otherwise it is my mp3 that gets the work out. Always changes my mood and disposition for the day.
07-15-2011, 11:42 AM (This post was last modified: 07-15-2011 11:45 AM by smoker guy.)
(07-15-2011 10:52 AM)boomer Wrote:  
(07-15-2011 08:10 AM)smoker guy Wrote:  Yeah I've read those those comments about Vapor Trails and Test For Echo as well. I love both those albums as well as all the others. The Missus isn't a big fan of Vapor Trails, she thinks its too hard/angry. I told her about the trials of NEP, then she understood why. Hmmm I think I shall run to that today, always a good Rush album to listen to.

Too hard and angry? I dont know that its angry, but it does make some bold statements that, if you saw "Behind the Lighted Stage" Bubba comments to that directly, saying that there was simply no way he couldn't just bypass all that, and I believe the music that came out of Vapor Trails has helped to cement their path back to Righteousness, as well as help him to overcome all those painful and heartbreaking memories. I guess thats why I put Vapor Trails up there in like the Top Five. IMHO!

I agree totally. A very intense and great album. I also like that it wasn't as heavy with keyboards, don't get me wrong I have nothing against Geddy's synthesizer use, but this was such a raw and powerfully done album that I felt it was as close to perfect as it was. I personally feel that maybe more keyboard usage would possibly have detracted from the sound? Of course there isn't a Rush album I don't like.Big Grin
(07-15-2011 11:29 AM)old honda rider Wrote:  
(07-15-2011 10:58 AM)boomer Wrote:  The cover is TOTALLY cool! Whoever came up with that was on his A game. Its one of the better covers they have.

That's one thing I miss about old vinyl records. Some amazing art came out of cover design.

[Image: brain-salad-surgery-emerson-lake-palmer-...er-art.jpg] [Image: coverrelayer.jpg] [Image: war-worlds-jeff-wayne-cd-cover-art.jpg]

Isn't the ELP cover done by H.R. GigerHuh, and yes the spelling of Hugh Syme is correct.Smile

I'm taking a ride with my best friend...I hope he never lets me down again.
07-15-2011, 11:48 AM
(07-15-2011 11:30 AM)RN-PRN Wrote:  

I always put the boys on when I am in a foul mood. If nobody is home, I turn the stereo on and crank it up. Otherwise it is my mp3 that gets the work out. Always changes my mood and disposition for the day.

Me too! I can't tell you the amount of commutes home I had blasted the boys. The worse my day was, the louder the stereo got. By the time I arrived home, life was soooo much better.
07-15-2011, 12:48 PM (This post was last modified: 07-15-2011 12:49 PM by Mufasa.)
(07-15-2011 11:29 AM)old honda rider Wrote:  

YES was done by Roger Dean, as were most of their albums. He has been a favorite of mine for many years. I had to design an album cover for a class when I was still in high school. I did a YES album with Deans' "Dragons Dream" logo from "Views" as the centerpiece. Took first place!

Most of us are so caught up in life that we forget to live it.