Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
What are you listening to?
10-15-2011, 01:47 AM
RE: What are you listening to?
Got home a little while ago from seeing The Musical Box. I was blown away! The lead singer sounded - and looked - exactly like Peter Gabriel. I mean, PG has such a distinctive voice, one would think that nobody else could ever sound like him. One would be wrong. It was scary. The rest of the band was just as great. The drummer even looked like Phil Collins! They did the entire Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, The Musical Box and Watcher Of The Skies. Most of the instruments were exactly the same as Genesis played in 1974 (including a real mellotron!). The costumes were the same, the effects, even the slides on the screens behind them. They were given the original 1120 slides that were used on the Genesis tour of Lamb. It was just.... almost like a time machine trip. Big Grin

Here's some pics: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=...598&type=1

We were in the front row, a little to the right, in front of the keys. Ran into Bill Cantlon there - his seat was right next to me! Small world, innit?

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-15-2011, 01:48 PM (This post was last modified: 10-15-2011 02:12 PM by SpaceCadet.)
In my continued casting about for new melody-focused music for the 'Net station (the link is in my profile, if you're not averse to a little good-natured Spam,) I stumbled across a now-defunct Japanese band called PSY*S. As with Judy And Mary's tune "Sampomichi" ("My Walking Path,") I found it as the background tunes for some excellently-done video on YouTube, taken by some guy during his walks in Japan - in this case the PSY*S tune "Wondering Up And Down" shot in Kamakura. So that's another one I owe to Mr. "ipeeepay," whoever he is.

The great thing about listening to music in a foreign language is that if you understand none - or just a handful - of the lyrics, the song has to sink or swim entirely on its musicality. No offense to lyrics per se, of course - 'just saying that a natural filter to lyrics' conceptual content tells you instantly whether the music itself is good or crap. In "Wondering," Yasunori-chan could be singing about fixing the brakes on her car for all I know, but I know for certain that the sound of a brilliant melody is as priceless as it is rare, and this song is instant-gooseflesh-brilliant - haunting, uplifting, exhilarating... pick yer adjective. "Breath of fresh air" doesn't even scratch the surface here... YMMV

An added "catnip factor": When I found the live vid of "Wondering" I had confirmation that that wonderfully percussive bass is indeed a Chapman Stick.

God I love discovering new tunes! Big Grin

"Waiter...can you stop that noise? What you call 'music.' It sounds like dirty water. How can they eat food - and listen to ****?"
- Sabina (Lena Olin) in The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-15-2011, 02:46 PM
My daughter watches a lot of anime. The music for them is really very good. Even when I can't understand the words, like you say, the music has to grab me. There's one piece from Inuyasha called "Kagome's Theme" that's just beautiful!

Of course, I remember the old song "Sukiyaki" and I loved that, too. I've got a fascination and love for Japanese culture Smile

10-15-2011, 03:19 PM (This post was last modified: 10-15-2011 03:20 PM by SpaceCadet.)
(10-15-2011 02:46 PM)Scythe Matters Wrote:  My daughter watches a lot of anime. The music for them is really very good. Even when I can't understand the words, like you say, the music has to grab me. There's one piece from Inuyasha called "Kagome's Theme" that's just beautiful!

Of course, I remember the old song "Sukiyaki" and I loved that, too. I've got a fascination and love for Japanese culture Smile

Is it this one? Another Anime to add to my watch list - thanks! Looks like it might be a sad story though. I'm pretty sure String Planet did a cover of Sukiyaki, but they haven't posted a vid for it. Yeah, I too am a freak for Japanese culture both ancient and modern. If I didn't have my "doramas" to watch (Japanese soap operas, basically,) I'd probably have to just lay down and die, for lack of a periodic "civilization fix."

"Waiter...can you stop that noise? What you call 'music.' It sounds like dirty water. How can they eat food - and listen to ****?"
- Sabina (Lena Olin) in The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-15-2011, 09:33 PM
Was listening to the GUYS today as I tore up some Missouri's backroads. I can honestly say after running those roads that I had so much fun I almost ralphed! LOL! The roads are like rollercoasters...and after I hit so many rises and drops at higher than the posted limit, my stomach felt like it was turned upside down, inside out and every way in between. I wouldn't have traded it for much anything else tho. Now just gotta get over this dizzyness. Tongue

I'm taking a ride with my best friend...I hope he never lets me down again.
10-16-2011, 12:14 AM
That's the one, Space Cadet! Gorgeous, isn't it? Blush

SG, lay in a supply of ginger ale next time. Or candied ginger. Wheeeeee!!!

10-16-2011, 07:26 AM
I listened to Hold Your Fire again and found it to be one of my fav RUSH albums (again), something about the recording, the keys, drums, lyrics. It all seems so precise to me. Besides that had a good listen to Trevor Rabins "Cant Look Away" and some Wings gotta love Paul. I like the new Yes album "Fly From Here" although I don't think it will do much it is the best they've come up with in a while.

"Listen...Jump on a moonbeam and rise, ride it, glide it all the way"
10-16-2011, 04:09 PM
(10-15-2011 09:33 PM)smoker guy Wrote:  Was listening to the GUYS today as I tore up some Missouri's backroads. I can honestly say after running those roads that I had so much fun I almost ralphed! LOL! The roads are like rollercoasters...and after I hit so many rises and drops at higher than the posted limit, my stomach felt like it was turned upside down, inside out and every way in between. I wouldn't have traded it for much anything else tho. Now just gotta get over this dizzyness. Tongue

SG - where were you? Did you get near Table Rock Lake?

Most of us are so caught up in life that we forget to live it.
10-16-2011, 06:54 PM
(10-16-2011 04:09 PM)Mufasa Wrote:  
(10-15-2011 09:33 PM)smoker guy Wrote:  Was listening to the GUYS today as I tore up some Missouri's backroads. I can honestly say after running those roads that I had so much fun I almost ralphed! LOL! The roads are like rollercoasters...and after I hit so many rises and drops at higher than the posted limit, my stomach felt like it was turned upside down, inside out and every way in between. I wouldn't have traded it for much anything else tho. Now just gotta get over this dizzyness. Tongue

SG - where were you? Did you get near Table Rock Lake?

I was in the NW corner of MO. I was in the glacial plains part of the Big M O. Being from Des Moines, IA...it was the best I could do for a day ride. I know for a fact that I would have scared anyone that went with me. I've never looked at Table Rock Lake, I'll have to look that area up. Sounds quite interesting.Smile

I'm taking a ride with my best friend...I hope he never lets me down again.
10-16-2011, 07:33 PM
(10-16-2011 06:54 PM)smoker guy Wrote:  I was in the NW corner of MO. I was in the glacial plains part of the Big M O. Being from Des Moines, IA...it was the best I could do for a day ride. I know for a fact that I would have scared anyone that went with me. I've never looked at Table Rock Lake, I'll have to look that area up. Sounds quite interesting.Smile

Pfft...wouldn'ta skirrd me! Big Grin I prolly would've been "woo hooing" right along with ya!

Love and respect...
Turn up the music and smile!
ASSTA Member