Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Cooking Cactus (Mexican Nopalitos)
04-30-2012, 10:22 PM
Cooking Cactus (Mexican Nopalitos)
Hello Folks,

Recently a Mexican grocery store opened in our neighborhood and they have a great selection of produce. One the more common items in that section is fresh cactus (with spines intact) or in clear packages, cleaned, and de-spined.

I have seen cactus salad recipes but would like to know if anyone else had experience preparing this with any success. (And Nettiesaur, sis, you know which store I'm talking about, El Rey Family Market).

Thanks guys! I'll fly into this Headlong...*grin*

ShrimpCot_1

"I love deadlines....I love the sound of them as they go WHOOSHING over my head!" -Douglas Adams
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2012, 06:04 AM
RE: Cooking Cactus (Mexican Nopalitos)
I've never had the fresh nopalitos just the pickled type that you find in the jars. So to those who have used them I too would be interested in recipes.

If you can't play by OUR rules take your toys and go home!! [Image: rulez.gif]
05-01-2012, 09:59 AM
Coincidentally, I was watching an episode of Kitchen Nightmares the other day and Gordon was in some Mex resto eating cactus. He didn't seem to be terribly impressed with what theirs looked like, and said it was really undercooked.

So perhaps the first tip is "cook it well"? Huh

----
I'm not one to believe in magic, but I sometimes have a second-sight....
05-01-2012, 11:55 AM
I think the last cactus I ate had peyote all over it, so I don't really remember how we boiled...er, uh, "prepared it!Angel

"Rollin' numbers, rock-n-rollin', got my Kiss records out!"
05-01-2012, 12:42 PM
(05-01-2012 09:59 AM)knitterbookbinder Wrote:  Coincidentally, I was watching an episode of Kitchen Nightmares the other day and Gordon was in some Mex resto eating cactus. He didn't seem to be terribly impressed with what theirs looked like, and said it was really undercooked.

That is the point I am trying to get from the group, if any one knows how to actually make it not so unappealing it would be great.

"I love deadlines....I love the sound of them as they go WHOOSHING over my head!" -Douglas Adams
05-01-2012, 07:04 PM
(05-01-2012 12:42 PM)ShrimpCot_1 Wrote:  
(05-01-2012 09:59 AM)knitterbookbinder Wrote:  Coincidentally, I was watching an episode of Kitchen Nightmares the other day and Gordon was in some Mex resto eating cactus. He didn't seem to be terribly impressed with what theirs looked like, and said it was really undercooked.

That is the point I am trying to get from the group, if any one knows how to actually make it not so unappealing it would be great.

I've seen it deep fried, but don't know how to do the preparation for it.
I've also seen it just peeled, chopped, and added to salads, but I think that would be an acquired taste.

Rules. We have rules.
05-01-2012, 07:19 PM
(05-01-2012 07:04 PM)nettiesaur Wrote:  
(05-01-2012 12:42 PM)ShrimpCot_1 Wrote:  

I've seen it deep fried, but don't know how to do the preparation for it.
I've also seen it just peeled, chopped, and added to salads, but I think that would be an acquired taste.
http://www.mexicoinmykitchen.com/2009/06...scomo.html
Here's the salad recipe, and some other tips. It looks like they cook the cactus for this too.

Rules. We have rules.
05-01-2012, 07:22 PM
I've had raw cholla marinated in a limey viniagrette that was outstanding...never had it cooked though.

"I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food."
W. C. Fields
08-31-2012, 01:53 PM (This post was last modified: 08-31-2012 01:55 PM by Sunset.)
I dice em, saute em in butter(don't get turned off by the snotty texture) then add chorizo, egg, and fried taters. Drizzle it up sis-in-law's mother-in-law's hot sauce recipe,then wrap it all up in a flour tortilla. Nothing fancy, but pretty darn tasty.

Also, google is full of more proper recipes...

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...