Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Bbq'd lamb breast
06-26-2011, 08:47 AM
Bbq'd lamb breast
Yes, that's lamb breast. Not chops or shanks. Apparently you can find lamb breast at European-style butchers but you're not likely to find them in your local grocers. My comments in red.

I found this recipe in a Canadian newspaper called The Globe and Mail. Going to try it shortly.

2 lamb breasts, about 1.5 pounds a piece
1/2 lemon
Salt, fresh ground pepper

Apple Mint Glaze (oh GAWD, this sounds good)
1 cup unsweetened apple juice
1/4 cup lemon juice I'd use more
2 tsp grate lemon rine
2 tsp chopped garlic I'd use MUCH more
1/4 tsp chili flakes I'd use more
1/4 cup chopped mint I'd use more

Preheat grill to 300°F. If it gets too hot, you'll scorch the meat so maintain this temp if at all possible. If you're using a 2-burner bbq, you may have to turn one off and cook the lamb over the off burner and let the other burner do the heating/cooking. (Duzzat make sense? I'm only on my 2nd cup of coffee.)

Trim as much fat as possible from the lamb (not sure about this I think it has to have some fat on it for tenderness & flavour. Depends on how much fat is on the ribs in the first place) & cut it into section of 3 bones. Rub lamb completely with cut side of lemon, squeezing some juice over the meat. Season with salt/pepper.

Place lamb on grill and cook for about 50 minutes per side until nearly cooked and very tender.

While lamb is cooking on the bbq, combine apple juice, lemon juice & rind, garlic, chili and mint over high heat & bring to a boil. Boil until the glaze is slightly syrupy, about 10 minutes or so.

Brush lamb with apple/mint glaze and grill another 10 minutes until brown. Use any remaining glaze as a sauce.

Goes well with a rich southern French red.

Good luck!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Bbq'd lamb breast - old honda rider - 06-26-2011 08:47 AM