Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Grilled Turkey Test!
10-30-2011, 07:04 AM (This post was last modified: 10-30-2011 07:08 AM by Layllah.)
Big Grin Grilled Turkey Test!
The Holidays are approaching fast, with that in mind I\'m testing a turkey today on the grill too perfect the smoking and try some new wood chips. It\'s a little bit of prep but well worth it! At this point a 14lb turkey has been in brine since 6:00 pm last night, complete with three changes of the brine. You wouldn\'t believe the flotsam that comes off of these things. Being the anal food matron that I am the cleaner the better. Sorry to digress, Grill prep: Clean the grill really well take a foil pan that is the length of the turkey and place it on the bottom of the grill, now place charcoal around it carefully avoiding getting any in the gravy pan ( I cover it with foil until I\'m done arranging the charcoal) Be generous with the charcoal a 14lb turkey will take at least three hours it very possible you\'ll have to add some while the cooking process is taking place. Soak your wood chips in cold water while the first stage of cooking is happening about an 1 1/2 hours into this process when the charcoal is glowing red I drain the chips and start strategically placing them around the turkey so the smoking can begin. Baste the turkey from time to time I use EVOO with a little bit of salt, pepper, garlic. Note: Make sure you keep stock or water in the gravy pan the grease from the turkey can and will catch on FIRE! My daughter cooked one for her friends one year and almost took out the carport from a turkey grease fire. It seems really funny too me now, not so much then!!! Use a meat thermometer check the temp at the thigh where it\'s thickest to ensure it\'s cooked. When it\'s done remove the turkey let it rest a while, Carefully remove the gravy pan strain into a glass measuring cup and place it into the freezer to blast chill it and remove the 1/2\" of grease that floats to the top, you\'ll make some big calorie and fat savings if you get the fat off! Enjoy!

"An Oasis of Solid Ground in an Endless Sea of Confusion"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Grilled Turkey Test! - Layllah - 10-30-2011 07:04 AM