Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Lebanese Schwarma
04-20-2010, 08:31 PM
Tongue Lebanese Schwarma
Hey Bubba and Brutus- living over here in Bahrain (for the time being), I've developed a taste for Schwarma- a Middle Eastern version of a softshell taco, usually made with chicken or something very loosely defined as "meat". Very cheap- only about 400 fil (~1.00 U.S.). Here's my favorite recipie:

SCHWARMA SAUCE
1/2 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
3 gloves garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon parsley, finely chopped (optional)
Dash of cumin

(For a spicy sauce, add a few drops of Hot Sauce or Japanese La Yu hot sesame oil)

MEAT SEASONING/RUB
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cardamom pods
1 teaspoon allspice
(If you want, you can substitute 4 Tbsp of Garam Masala seasoning in place of the last 4 ingredients)
Rub chicken with seasoning, set aside while your grill heats up.

Grill seasoned chicken thighs. Dice chicken, then serve in flatbread with tomatoes, lettuce, onions and topped with sauce.
Quote this message in a reply
04-21-2010, 08:52 AM
RE: Lebanese Schwarma
(04-20-2010 08:31 PM)cheeser51 Wrote:  Hey Bubba and Brutus- living over here in Bahrain (for the time being), I've developed a taste for Schwarma- a Middle Eastern version of a softshell taco, usually made with chicken or something very loosely defined as "meat". Very cheap- only about 400 fil (~1.00 U.S.). Here's my favorite recipie:

SCHWARMA SAUCE
3 gloves garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
Dash of cumin

(For a spicy sauce, add a few drops of Hot Sauce or Japanese La Yu hot sesame oil)

MEAT SEASONING/RUB
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cardamom pods
1 teaspoon allspice
(If you want, you can substitute 4 Tbsp of Garam Masala seasoning in place of the last 4 ingredients)

Grill seasoned chicken thighs. Dice chicken, then serve in flatbread with tomatoes, lettuce, onions and topped with sauce.
I was worried there for a minute that I might have to construct one of those conical mountain of meat you see rorating in Schwarma (or shawarma or shwarma...I guess it depends on the country of origin of the proprietors?) shops around town. I've even seen it spelled "schwharma" but that also was at the place where they advertised they had cattering, so......When I lived in Halifax they had great selections there surprisingly. I still can uncomfortable recall that first burp in the morning after the night before that would leave me mumbling..."Oh. Right. That's what I ate last night."

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
Find all posts by this user
04-21-2010, 09:25 AM
(04-21-2010 08:52 AM)Brutus Wrote:  
(04-20-2010 08:31 PM)cheeser51 Wrote:  Hey Bubba and Brutus- living over here in Bahrain (for the time being), I've developed a taste for Schwarma- a Middle Eastern version of a softshell taco, usually made with chicken or something very loosely defined as "meat". Very cheap- only about 400 fil (~1.00 U.S.). Here's my favorite recipie:

SCHWARMA SAUCE
3 gloves garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
Dash of cumin

MEAT SEASONING/RUB
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cardamom pods
1 teaspoon allspice

I was worried there for a minute that I might have to construct one of those conical mountain of meat you see rorating in Schwarma (or shawarma or shwarma...I guess it depends on the country of origin of the proprietors?) shops around town. I've even seen it spelled "schwharma" but that also was at the place where they advertised they had cattering, so......When I lived in Halifax they had great selections there surprisingly. I still can uncomfortable recall that first burp in the morning after the night before that would leave me mumbling..."Oh. Right. That's what I ate last night."

Nah...when it comes to cooking, I know that Chef Bubba likes to take his time and do it right. Cheeser just likes to do it Cheap and Easy. Like his women.
04-21-2010, 09:42 AM
(04-21-2010 09:25 AM)cheeser51 Wrote:  

SCHWARMA SAUCE
3 gloves garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
Dash of cumin

MEAT SEASONING/RUB
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cardamom pods
1 teaspoon allspice

Nah...when it comes to cooking, I know that Chef Bubba likes to take his time and do it right. Cheeser just likes to do it Cheap and Easy. Like his women.
I meant to ask, "What's a guy to do for a good time in Bahrain?" Probably not a plethora of your preferred type of female company there?

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
04-21-2010, 08:13 PM (This post was last modified: 04-26-2010 07:04 AM by Brutus.)
(04-21-2010 09:42 AM)Brutus Wrote:  
(04-21-2010 09:25 AM)cheeser51 Wrote:  

SCHWARMA SAUCE
3 gloves garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
Dash of cumin

MEAT SEASONING/RUB
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cardamom pods
1 teaspoon allspice

I was worried there for a minute that I might have to construct one of those conical mountains of meat you see rotating in Schwarma (or shawarma or shwarma...I guess it depends on the country of origin of the proprietors?) shops around town. I've even seen it spelled "schwharma" but that also was at the place where they advertised they had cattering, so......When I lived in Halifax they had great selections there surprisingly. I still can uncomfortably recall that first burp in the morning after the night before that would leave me mumbling..."Oh. Right. That's what I ate last night."

I meant to ask, "What's a guy to do for a good time in Bahrain?" Probably not a plethora of your preferred type of female company there?

What's a guy do for a good time in Bahrain? Well, you're right. Women are pretty well out of the picture unless you're into Navy women (eh...no) or don't mind the minor inconvenience of a death threat from the family of a local. So what's there to do? When George Michael isn't singing Karaoke down at one of the local hotels for tip money (PURE entertainment!) I ride my mountain bike a lot. I do a fair amount of cooking (I have a "show" I film and post on my FB page-Bubba gets credit for the inspiration)...a little bit of drinking and reading-I have a Macallan and Bombay provider...and listening to Rush on the ol hi fi. Coming home in June when this tour is up-hope to see the boys in DC come Sept.
04-25-2010, 08:04 PM
first tried a chicken schwarma in a hookah bar. distinct taste. i enjoyed it better than the beef. thanx for the recipe Cheeser51!
04-25-2010, 08:05 PM
Hey Cheeser...great to see you here (Sharon-on another board Wink ).
The recipe looks tasty..must try it out on the family!
04-26-2010, 09:23 AM
@Sharon- HA! Good to see you here! It's really easy and even my "local" friends have said it's pretty darn close.

@Gill- Thanks! I definitely like the chicken over the "meat" version. Now...about that hookah/sheesha!