Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
What are you listening to?
07-20-2011, 08:59 AM
RE: What are you listening to?
Quote:Scorpions, UFO, Michael Schenker

In a word.......Brilliant. Good call dheafey.

Schenker played a local pub around here the other day. One of the greatest guitarists ever......imho

Living the dream over here in Blighty
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-20-2011, 10:14 AM
For a few gits and shiggles, I've attached my band's setlist for this Friday night. You'll notice it's absolutely polluted with 70's and 80's dance rock, most of which I have a hard time listening to as I play it so much.

Remember the days when you went to rock clubs to listen to bands? It seems crowds for the last 10 years only want a live jukebox, hence the dance heavy list. Anything that keeps the girls shaking what momma gave 'em is ok by me. Smile

As a bass player, there are a few bright spots for me: anything by Journey (Ross Valory's lines are very creative and melodic), Boston's Foreplay/Long Time Gone, Jump (get to use the Low C on my 5 string), and Fuel's Shimmer (I play the cool violin parts). Probably my absolute favorite right now is Journey's Stone In Love; again, great bass part by Ross Valory - extremely melodic.

Enjoy! Big Grin

Attached File(s)
.pdf  The Skybox iss1 7-22-2011 (2).pdf (Size: 30.23 KB / Downloads: 6)

I jumped the cliff with a dream to fly
Without knowing the weight of feathers
Find all posts by this user
07-20-2011, 10:50 AM
We pull up old 70's music and our kids start laughing. Every time we want out 11 yo to practice his guitar we tell him...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe1ScoePqVA
07-20-2011, 10:53 AM
Yes, Stone In Love! That's the song I was referring to in my post above as my favorite on Escape, the second one on the CD. I love that line "In the heat with a blue jean girl". You know, girls jeans were cut and made different back then, and they looked damned good in them. Today's jeans are just not the same.

Well-weathered leather, hot metal and oil, the scented country air..
07-20-2011, 11:02 AM (This post was last modified: 07-20-2011 11:14 AM by dheafey.)
(07-20-2011 08:59 AM)NWoBHM Wrote:  

Schenker played a local pub around here the other day. One of the greatest guitarists ever......imho

Very European, that list of ours. Tongue

My 2nd concert, probably around 1979, was Def Leppard, Scorpions, and Judas Priest. Def Leppard's first album had just come out and they rocked the place. Scorpions had a scorching set. Judas Priest was the headliner and Rob Halford rode out on a Harley, thundering away and then pulled out a fully automatic machine gun with blanks and "sprayed" the audience! We went nuts.
(07-20-2011 10:50 AM)RN-PRN Wrote:  We pull up old 70's music and our kids start laughing. Every time we want out 11 yo to practice his guitar we tell him...

Yikes! 1 of 2 songs I said I'd never play and, well, I'm playing it. Like a black hole, it just sucks people onto the dance floor. The other one is - GASP! - Mustang Sally. Played it. I'm such a ...errhh... mercenary.

07-20-2011, 12:15 PM
Quote:Very European, that list of ours.

I might be swayed by being a Brit, but I think the best heavy rock, hard rock, heavy metal etc came from these shores, Ireland, and Germany, through the 70`s, 80`s - excepting Van Halen. It all changed with Bon Jovi, and then the whole thing shifted to the US with Death, Grindcore, thrash.....(whatever that rubbish is).

Living the dream over here in Blighty
07-20-2011, 12:42 PM
(07-20-2011 11:02 AM)dheafey Wrote:  
(07-20-2011 08:59 AM)NWoBHM Wrote:  

Very European, that list of ours. Tongue

My 2nd concert, probably around 1979, was Def Leppard, Scorpions, and Judas Priest. Def Leppard's first album had just come out and they rocked the place. Scorpions had a scorching set. Judas Priest was the headliner and Rob Halford rode out on a Harley, thundering away and then pulled out a fully automatic machine gun with blanks and "sprayed" the audience! We went nuts.
(07-20-2011 10:50 AM)RN-PRN Wrote:  We pull up old 70's music and our kids start laughing. Every time we want out 11 yo to practice his guitar we tell him...

Yikes! 1 of 2 songs I said I'd never play and, well, I'm playing it. Like a black hole, it just sucks people onto the dance floor. The other one is - GASP! - Mustang Sally. Played it. I'm such a ...errhh... mercenary.

Well we used to just tell him that and he kept giving us weird looks so we just had to pull it up on YouTube.
07-20-2011, 12:45 PM
Isn't it required that every band be able to play "That Funky Music"?
Every band around here does...:~

07-20-2011, 12:55 PM
(07-20-2011 12:45 PM)nettiesaur Wrote:  Isn't it required that every band be able to play "That Funky Music"?
Every band around here does..Confused

Sadly yes. The only saving grace is my guitarist absolutely tears it a new hole during his guitar solo.

07-20-2011, 12:57 PM

I will say, that I had a proud moment yesterday, when at the store, "Funky Town" was playing over the speakers, and my daughter knew it! LOL

A party without cake is really just a meeting