Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Harvest time anyone?
07-28-2011, 10:11 AM
Tongue Harvest time anyone?
Just wondering if anyone else is enjoying the early harvest from their gardens yet. We have dined on fresh grown red potatoes, zucchini, peppers, garlic, basil and fresh green beans. Oh and can't forget the radishes!! Still have some time on tomatoes but they look awesome. Lorna and I enjoyed a wonderful omelet this morning with all the fresh ingredients, a side of Parmesan red-skinned potatoes and toasted french bread. Outdoors even!!! Yes Michigan!Wink

Love leaves a memory no one can steal!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-28-2011, 10:14 AM
RE: Harvest time anyone?
We have had lettuce, spinach, green beans, cucumbers and tomatoes already. Now if the pesky groundhog will stay away (think Caddyshack) we will have a huge crop of tomatoes and cucumbers soon.
07-28-2011, 11:34 AM
While I was off playing in New York we had a power surge / outage at our house. A fuse blew in my sprinkler system. My garden got a bit dry. Somehow the weeds got water. Angry

I eat, therefor I am.

2011 Ironman Lake Placid - Finisher
07-28-2011, 11:57 AM
(07-28-2011 11:34 AM)Detroit Dan Wrote:  While I was off playing in New York we had a power surge / outage at our house. A fuse blew in my sprinkler system. My garden got a bit dry. Somehow the weeds got water. Angry

Dan...you should know the weeds grow with or without water!!
07-28-2011, 01:12 PM
Ditto on spinach and lettuce, a tiny yellow squash plus a couple wee tomatoes. Our Romas will prolly be coming into full glory while we're out of town....hubby's already had a bumper crop of chile peppers (poblano, serrano, jalapeno, cubanelle.....think there might be some others). He's been making jars of bread & butter pickled chile peppers, total experiment and farkin' awesome!

Blah blah blah....yada yada yada!
07-28-2011, 01:21 PM
Bug RE: Harvest time anyone?
Can't grow lettuce up here, the broccoli and cauliflower have struggled, still optimistic about all else, peppers are coming in great. Pumpkins will be ready. Still more to come, looks like we'll have corn.
"The peaceful days of harvest time!!!" Sleepy

Love leaves a memory no one can steal!
07-28-2011, 05:53 PM
(07-28-2011 01:21 PM)Markus Awreallyus Wrote:  Can't grow lettuce up here, the broccoli and cauliflower have struggled, still optimistic about all else, peppers are coming in great. Pumpkins will be ready. Still more to come, looks like we'll have corn.
"The peaceful days of harvest time!!!" Sleepy

We always start our really early down this way. It is always the first to be planted around April sometime.
07-28-2011, 07:29 PM
So far, strawberries, basil, and one Italian squash. The rest of the garden looks great, but it will be a bit before I get more goodies.
I'm growing 7 kinds of tomato, 7 kinds of pumpkin, green onion, garlic, 3 kinds of basil, 3 kinds of lettuce, collard greens, dill, 7 kinds of peppers/chilis, parsley, cilantro, leeks, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, spinach, 4 kinds of squash, sugar snap peas, snow peas, Indian corn, cantaloupe, green beans, lima beans, carrots, radishes, cucumbers, raspberries, shallots, asparagus, and gourds. Whew!

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
07-28-2011, 08:52 PM
WOW Gungawoman - that's one impressive garden!! That must keep you pretty busy.

So far we've had lettuce, banana peppers, jalapeno peppers (made homemade guacamole just yesterday), a couple of handfuls of cherry tomatoes and we've been reaping the benefits of the herbs for quite some time. Looking forward to trying the heirloom tomatoes very soon as well as the bell peppers.
07-28-2011, 11:26 PM
(07-28-2011 07:29 PM)Gungawoman Wrote:  So far, strawberries, basil, and one Italian squash. ........7 kinds of tomato, 7 kinds of pumpkin, green onion, garlic, 3 kinds of basil, 3 kinds of lettuce, collard greens, dill, 7 kinds of peppers/chilis, parsley, cilantro, leeks, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, spinach, 4 kinds of squash, sugar snap peas, snow peas, Indian corn, cantaloupe, green beans, lima beans, carrots, radishes, cucumbers, raspberries, shallots, asparagus, and gourds. Whew!

.....and a partridge in a pear tree!!

The hubby tried collards a couple yrs ago, he's a fan but we were totally overrun by them...

I love brussel sprouts! We have a recipe for a sauteed version, kinda time-consuming but well worth the effort!

Blah blah blah....yada yada yada!