Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Great news!
06-30-2010, 03:59 PM
Wink Great news!
Well, there's a thread about movies, books, music and a place to vent.

So how about a good news thread?

I'll start, since I just got some great news!!

Some of you may have heard of the Perimeter Institute for the Study of Theoretical Physics. It's located in Waterloo, Ontario, and was funded by Mike Lazaridis, co-founder of Research In Motion, maker of the ubiquitous Blackberry. He funded the Institute out of his own personal fortune.

A certain Stephen Hawking is currently onsite and will be spending much of the summer here working with students and other researchers.

About fifteen minutes ago I was offered, and accepted, a position at the Institute. And I'm absolutely FLYING over this!

Just thought I'd share this with my Bubba-esque friends!!

So, what's your good news?

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-30-2010, 04:41 PM
RE: Great news!
Sounds very interesting. You must be a geeneeass to work with Steve and the boys. Congrats! What will you be doing? They're not gonna probe you or nothing, eh?

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
06-30-2010, 05:48 PM
Congrats!

Umm, my good news... I got my van back from the shop and it didn't cost me a dime (besides gas in rental car) to get it fixed. Gotta love warranties.
06-30-2010, 08:29 PM
I'm still a 2 star contributor here, so that's good. Wouldn't want to draw attention to myself or anything. Yay, me!
06-30-2010, 08:37 PM
(06-30-2010 04:41 PM)Brutus Wrote:  Sounds very interesting. You must be a geeneeass to work with Steve and the boys. Congrats! What will you be doing? They're not gonna probe you or nothing, eh?
Crap no. No probing. And no, I'm no geeneeass by a long shot. I'll be doing some project management work for them regarding the construction and outfitting of a new building. I'm hoping, though, that some of those smarts will rub off on me!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
06-30-2010, 09:44 PM
(06-30-2010 08:37 PM)old honda rider Wrote:  
(06-30-2010 04:41 PM)Brutus Wrote:  Sounds very interesting. You must be a geeneeass to work with Steve and the boys. Congrats! What will you be doing? They're not gonna probe you or nothing, eh?
Crap no. No probing. And no, I'm no geeneeass by a long shot. I'll be doing some project management work for them regarding the construction and outfitting of a new building. I'm hoping, though, that some of those smarts will rub off on me!

working with Stephen Hawking should be wonderful.

Rules. We have rules.
06-30-2010, 10:31 PM
Just was watching Big Bang followed by Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman lol. Hawking is a the greatest physicist of our time. Love watching Into The Universe with Steven Hawking. Some of the theories they come up with! M Theory is perhaps the strangest of them all however it does fit in rather tidy and is as interesting as it is strange.

Oh but this is the good news thread!. Not so much good news as it made me happy. Went to my Step Daughters today to help rip down wallpaper, my Grandson gets a whole new bedroom (he's a toddler now and is graduating to a big boy bed!). Feels nice to know I helped.
07-01-2010, 03:12 AM
I had a date tonight with a very nice girl. And she can cook!

Found out that I may be retiring early. Got my fingers crossed because I am seriously ready for a change.

Retirement gift to self- Another motorcycle of course. Love those BMW's.

Don't talk smack about Total!!
07-01-2010, 02:19 PM
Ummm, good news? There's a lack of that in my life these days. How about...I might be able to leave work 10 minutes early today. YIPPEE!

Hey, congrats! Stephen Hawking, very neat-o. Even being probed by him wouldn't be too bad.
07-01-2010, 04:43 PM
A free haircut, courtesy of a relative who does a great job. He got the fee as a tip.

Rules. We have rules.