Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
BBQ Woes
07-08-2010, 11:58 AM
Lightbulb BBQ Woes
So my friends Brutus, Neil and all of you have been inspiring me to attempt to "cook." I have been known to my family up to this point as a lousy BBQ chef. Last week I attempted sausage, hamburgers and hot dogs on the barb. My wife said I need to TIME the meat. She said after 7 minutes I should flip. I left everything on "low" settings, came back after 4 or 5 minutes, and the whole mess was on fire. My family is getting their lifetime dose of carbon with each attempt, but I will not give up. Common sense dicates that next time I should remain at the grill!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2010, 03:09 PM
RE: BBQ Woes
Some grills have vertical burners (they run away from you instead of across the grill, left to right). That makes it possible to have an area of the grill that becomes a safe zone to flip things that are starting to flame up. Just leave the burner off in that section. Or just keep moving your meat back and forth. (Don't like the sounds of that!). That means not filling up the grill surface and leaving some room to maneuver.

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
Find all posts by this user
07-14-2010, 08:05 AM
Wow, I feel honored that the infamous "Brutus" of whom I had read in "The Great Adventures of Pratt" would respond
directly to the "BBQ Burn It" man. Could be that I have a cheap grill that's uneven in cooking capability, but I'm certain that it's skill or lack thereof...my next grill attempt will include careful watch of said meat which will be moved about and the use of your common sense tip. Yes, the grills move away from me when I look at them-not horizontal. Problem is that my family has lost trust in my grilling incapabilities, so I have to convince them that there is hope.
Have you had a chance to try the antiguan (garlic) pork recipe?
Vince
07-18-2010, 12:31 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/craig-gold...22211.html

this article on grilling techniques should help you out. meathead is an amazing resource and link from that story to his website called amazing ribs. he has all sorts of info and recipes and i think its one of the best online grilling references.

happy grilling!
Find all posts by this user
07-21-2010, 11:06 AM
(07-18-2010 12:31 PM)tangy Wrote:  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/craig-gold...22211.html

this article on grilling techniques should help you out. meathead is an amazing resource and link from that story to his website called amazing ribs. he has all sorts of info and recipes and i think its one of the best online grilling references.

happy grilling!

Excellent tips and site! Next time my wife allows me to attempt to grill I will use some of these great suggestions.
Vince
08-05-2010, 11:34 AM
(07-11-2010 03:09 PM)Brutus Wrote:  Some grills have vertical burners (they run away from you instead of across the grill, left to right). That makes it possible to have an area of the grill that becomes a safe zone to flip things that are starting to flame up. Just leave the burner off in that section. Or just keep moving your meat back and forth. (Don't like the sounds of that!). That means not filling up the grill surface and leaving some room to maneuver.

So my wife let down her guard to let me grill husks of corn to start. I used the "safe zone" and the result was divine!
09-05-2010, 08:50 AM
RE: BBQ Woes: Success finally!
To anyone who cares...
So I had an overwhelming desire to demonstrate love to my family yesterday through food, especially to my wife who has been writing a paper for required coursework as an art teacher.

I started by shopping early on a dry, sunny and breezy (hurricane Earl leftover) day at Borella's farm stand for some fresh fruits and vegetables. I picked up a London broil. I used the "dead zone" BBQ method and grilled hot dogs (son) hamburgers (daughter) and steak-seasoned with only Adobo, timed and watched it carefully, paying attention to the temperature which I had previously ignored. I also placed corn on the cob in its husk, wrapped in aluminum foil on the grill.

The steak was served with A-1 sauce, mashed potatoes, sliced red and yellow tomatoes doused with white vinegar, salt and black pepper. We chose to eat it outside on our patio, backdrop of flowers,the garden and the setting sun. My family loved it! It was the first time my cooking was an all out success. It felt so good to know that I had pleased everyone.

I continued the act of love by cleaning the kitchen to completion while my wife worked on her paper. It was a night I won't soon forget.