Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Nature
01-16-2012, 06:51 PM
RE: Nature
[attachment=426][attachment=426]A pair of bald eagles (I assume they are the same ones.) winter here in the wetlands that the golf course where I work borders. We have several ponds, and the river is just a half mile away, so they have plenty of good fishing. This year they are accompanied by a juvenile. I have been seeing them for close to two weeks now. The adults are obviously teaching the young one how to fish. They are very noble birds. The course has no homes near it, just wetlands, and lots of wildlife. The barred owl below is one of my favorite photos. I love the way my flash made its eyes red.

Following my morale compass
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-17-2012, 02:09 AM
Wow! Beautiful Big Grin

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
01-17-2012, 10:00 AM
(01-16-2012 05:58 PM)Scythe Matters Wrote:  
(01-16-2012 02:41 PM)BrianW Wrote:  SM, remember in the 60s and 70s when you couldn't find an eagle in the lower 48? I just hung an owl box that I built myself. Will keep you posted of any tenants.

Unfortunately, I do remember. And I love owls, too! Can't wait to see what happens. Did you set up a camera inside?
SM, I did not. I lack that technology for now. There is a website for a nesting pair of Barn Owls out in the midwest. Google "owl box barn owls" and you should find it. 24 hour live stream cam!

Shifting & Drifting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-17-2012, 07:11 PM (This post was last modified: 01-17-2012 07:37 PM by RaoulDuke.)
I was digging through my photos and found one of my favorites. I watched the nest this turkey hen made and waited for her brood to hatch. I caught these a day or two after hatching in late April.
Here is another pic I dug up. It is a puzzle of sorts complinents of the amazing skills of the American Bittern. This bird blends in remarkably well with its surroundings, usually marsh grass. It even sways back and forth with the grass as the wind blows it. the bird is located in the center of the photograph just above the green foilage. Only the neck and head are visible. Good luck locating it!

01-17-2012, 09:22 PM
Baby turkeys - how cute!!! Man, I can't find that bittern at ALL Huh

01-18-2012, 12:54 AM
(01-17-2012 09:22 PM)Scythe Matters Wrote:  Baby turkeys - how cute!!! Man, I can't find that bittern at ALL Huh

Aw, it's ok SM...don't be bittern...

(ok, I had to...it was RIGHT there!)

Love and respect...
Turn up the music and smile!
ASSTA Member
01-18-2012, 02:58 AM
(01-18-2012 12:54 AM)CanyonDancer Wrote:  
(01-17-2012 09:22 PM)Scythe Matters Wrote:  Baby turkeys - how cute!!! Man, I can't find that bittern at ALL Huh

Aw, it's ok SM...don't be bittern...

(ok, I had to...it was RIGHT there!)

[Image: rimshot.gif]

Big Grin

01-18-2012, 05:07 PM
I tried to outline the bittern's neck and head.

01-18-2012, 07:16 PM
That's better - thanks!

01-18-2012, 09:18 PM
Wow, that is pretty amazing! Nature is cool! I don't think I would've seen that if you hadn't pointed him out.

Love and respect...
Turn up the music and smile!
ASSTA Member