Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Birds and Butterflies
01-05-2012, 05:15 PM
RE: Birds and Butterflies
Very nice Debskis!

It was about 14 degrees the other morning. The only birds out were Mourning Doves, all perched, puffy and still...about a dozen of them.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2012, 12:07 PM
Nice pic Deb. We have Barred Owls that do the same thing. Hope you get to see a Snowy. They like open country and to sit 'up' on something, like a haybale. The slight elevation helps them survey the territory for prey. You may have a local birding chapter that has an updated website saying where the sightings are going down. Keep that camera eye handy!

Shifting & Drifting
01-17-2012, 07:16 PM
It's odd. I have alternated Nyjer, Cracked corn, black oil sunflower and wild bird food. I have seen an occasional visitor, mostly commons and doves-no cardinals, jays or finch. Usually it's a mob scene. What gives?
01-17-2012, 09:18 PM
Maybe the odd winter weather has our avian friends confused....?

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
Find all posts by this user
01-21-2012, 06:30 AM (This post was last modified: 01-21-2012 07:05 AM by VincentUlyssis.)
That's what I'm thinkin'. I did see a blue jay yesterday among the dozens of mourning doves and small brown birds, probably sparrows. Do gold finch fly south? How about red bellied woodpeckers?
Yeah! I just saw a female cardinal! Finally!
01-21-2012, 06:53 PM
I saw a kestrel swoop down on a little varmit today. It was just sitting on a street light above the freeway off ramp looking all badass like birds of prey do, and a split second later, it had a tasty meal in it's talons. Now, that's entertainment!

"Hope is what remains to be seen."- Bubba
01-22-2012, 07:16 AM
So cool, what did he catch?
01-23-2012, 02:47 AM
(01-21-2012 06:53 PM)valhalla66 Wrote:  I saw a kestrel swoop down on a little varmit today. It was just sitting on a street light above the freeway off ramp looking all badass like birds of prey do, and a split second later, it had a tasty meal in it's talons. Now, that's entertainment!

Did it look like this??

So beautiful!

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
01-23-2012, 03:05 PM (This post was last modified: 01-23-2012 03:14 PM by N'awlins.)
My buddy sent me this of an eagle owl swooping down at the cameraman. It's only a minute long, but check out the feathers in the last two or three seconds...amazing! Filmed at 1,000 frames per second supposedly.

http://www.dogwork.com/owfo8

"Rollin' numbers, rock-n-rollin', got my Kiss records out!"
01-23-2012, 07:25 PM
It seems that the snow brought out the instinct to fetch food. There were about 40 mourning doves perched, and a gozillian other small birds, cardinals and a few jays. It was a great sight.

...but not as cool as that eagle owl N'awlins!