Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Grey Area
02-09-2012, 11:40 PM
RE: Grey Area
Deb, it appears that you've done some serious brain and soul searchin'.....without regurgitating everything that's already been said (because I agree wholeheartedly), I hope that when the time comes, it's as peaceful and loving as I imagine it will be.

You're doing the right thing. And Zack will be forever grateful.

Good luck, my friend....

Blah blah blah....yada yada yada!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-10-2012, 05:39 PM
Mrs. C and I have been thinking about this too of late. Our little Lahasa has been a bit neglected since K was born and then Mrs. C got sick ... She has always had an issue with eye ulcers and nearly lost her eye one winter when a simple ulcer melted and her eye actually ruptured. $600 and several months later she saw perfectly. Our little miracle. Now, with the lack of attention I can see that she really is getting old. She is still frisky when she wants to be, but its not as constant as it was. After a lot of work, K and Coco are just now getting along and it makes that conversation so much more difficult.

This event is going to be WAY difficult for me as I have only ever had birds and though one was essentially a person we never really knew he was sick until the end. This we can see coming and it makes it much harder. I like to think we will know when it is time, but I don't think we will ever REALLY be ready. As a counselor, I must give you major Kudos for starting this conversation and being real about it with your kids. It will be hard for them, but the honesty you show them will be appreciated. Others have certainly said all this and more, just know that others are there with you. Be well.

November is now MOvember. Knowledge is POWER and the Mustache is KING. Support mens Health and my Mustache farm here: http://mobro.co/counselor
02-10-2012, 07:46 PM
Thank you everyone who has posted. As I watched Zack run around the kitchen and lick the air while I was making a roast for dinner tonight, I knew it just wasn't time yet (The smell of meat takes 10 years off him I swear!) Watching him suffer with these episodes several times every day is really hard too, but, I think we can manage it for a little while longer.

My thoughts are with you, Counselor, and Mrs. C. - I know it's gonna hurt like heck when the time comes!

The thing I keep thinking of, in terms of the kids, is that losing a pet may help prepare them for the loss of a close relative in the future. At least we will have had those tough conversations and they will have experienced grief and "survived" it. Not the same thing as losing a human loved-one, but just knowing you can heal from such loss I think would help in some small way...???

We are currently sitting on the sofa cuddling with the old-man, listening to him snore...loudly...he's a good, good dog.

"I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food."
W. C. Fields
02-11-2012, 01:41 AM
Deb, that's why I mentioned about bringing the kids into this. When my 17-year-old cat had to be put down, my daughter was 5. I think she was able to understand about her Great-Grandma a little better after that. It's certainly something to talk to them about.

Give your good boy a scritch from us Smile

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
02-11-2012, 06:14 AM
(02-10-2012 07:46 PM)debskis Wrote:  Thank you everyone who has posted. As I watched Zack run around the kitchen and lick the air while I was making a roast for dinner tonight, I knew it just wasn't time yet (The smell of meat takes 10 years off him I swear!) Watching him suffer with these episodes several times every day is really hard too, but, I think we can manage it for a little while longer.

My thoughts are with you, Counselor, and Mrs. C. - I know it's gonna hurt like heck when the time comes!

The thing I keep thinking of, in terms of the kids, is that losing a pet may help prepare them for the loss of a close relative in the future. At least we will have had those tough conversations and they will have experienced grief and "survived" it. Not the same thing as losing a human loved-one, but just knowing you can heal from such loss I think would help in some small way...???

We are currently sitting on the sofa cuddling with the old-man, listening to him snore...loudly...he's a good, good dog.

Keep preparin' meat! Wink
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-28-2012, 10:51 AM
Some new, really disturbing symptoms have emerged with Zack over the weekend which has us wondering if the time is getting close. I couldn't get him in to see our vet until Weds (I don't really care for the other vet in the practice), but he is now sneezing up bloody mucous several times a day, (sorry for the visual) in addition to the cough and breathing problems that have him really uncomfortable for much of the day. Even my husband is thinking it might be getting to that point, so, at least it's not just me!

Ug...still don't know beyond a doubt that it's time, but will know more tomorrow after the appointment.

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers...this really stinks!

W. C. Fields
02-28-2012, 11:16 AM
Tough decision there Deb, but that's what makes this ol' world keep spinnin'! I think I would take whatever advice the Vet has to give you tomorrow, and leave it (the decision) in his/her hands. Maybe get a second opinion, but it does sound like little Zack may be goin' around the bend, and, as painful as it may be, it may be the best thing for him. Just think of good times with him and know that he has had the happiest life he could have possibly had. Remember, All Dogs Go To Heaven! (Cats too!) Dang, gettin' a little misty up in here!

"Rollin' numbers, rock-n-rollin', got my Kiss records out!"
03-03-2012, 02:46 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2012 02:48 PM by debskis.)
Ug! Just spent the past 20 minutes typing a very touching tribute to our soon-to-be departed pooch, when all of a sudden the text just disappeared! Totally gone, never to return! How annoying!

Anyway, the vet diagnosed Zack with a tumor in his sinuses. That, coupled with all of his other health issues, has led us to decide to have him put down on Monday. We've really seen him decline in just the past couple weeks, as well as a definite change in his behavior, as though he knows his time is near. We told the kids last night (Friday), and while they were quite devastated at first, have already come to peace with it in their own way. Claire even had the idea to make a garden stone with his name and pawprint on it, so we have somewhat of a memorial for him in our yard. Getting ready to do that now.

Thank you all for your thoughts, input, and prayers. I know Monday will not be easy, but it really is his time, and we are at peace knowing he won't be suffering anymore. I know he'll be happy on the other side of The Rainbow Bridge!

W. C. Fields
03-03-2012, 06:24 PM
What a nice memorial Claire is making...my thoughts will be with you on Monday Deb for it will be a difficult day. Heart
03-03-2012, 08:35 PM
There are not many things a human can go through that can compare to having to make such a decision. Some vets will provide people with the means to do it at home. This is found to be less traumatic for some people. Not that I could even imagine anything making it easier. Don't be hard on yourself. I truly feel your pain.

Following my morale compass