Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Your online "Handle"
05-02-2012, 12:48 PM
RE: Your online "Handle"
(05-02-2012 12:24 PM)onebad70ss Wrote:  What is a "Saskatchewan Screamer"
I know there are certain parts of Yorkton, if you hear
screaming, you best be running the other way and fast.... Smile

It's the equivalent of an Alberta clipper, one of those nasty low-pressure winter storms.

----
I'm not one to believe in magic, but I sometimes have a second-sight....
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2012, 01:00 PM
(05-02-2012 12:24 PM)onebad70ss Wrote:  Dare I ask Rey - What is a "Saskatchewan Screamer"
I know there are certain parts of Yorkton, if you hear
screaming, you best be running the other way and fast.... Smile

The name was popularized by a local meteorologist here named Tom Skilling, as a weather term describing a storm system. His description:

“The colloquial term has been used by forecasters for some time to describe a low pressure system which dives into the Lower 48 out of Canada's Saskatchewan province. Such systems really move — or 'scream along' — thus the term Saskatchewan Screamer."

So why was I thinking of it today? This morning Mrs Rey and I were discussing today’s weather, and how the temperatures were forecasted to rise into the 80’s. But it was cold, and cloudy this morning, so we had our doubts it would ever make it. Then we started joking about how the weather forecasters always have an excuse later why something forecasted didn’t happen. So I slipped into my joking Tom Skilling weatherman voice, and proclaimed how an unforeseen Saskatchewan Screamer today swooped down and blew away all the warm weather. So there you have it! Now its next to my avatar here. I’m weird like that...

Well-weathered leather, hot metal and oil, the scented country air..
05-02-2012, 01:21 PM
Now it all makes sense - Good on ya for spelling "Saskatchewan"
correctly. It's a tough one for sure. A lot of people up here
screw it up...
05-02-2012, 03:57 PM
For some reason I had another definition come to mind. That darn Skilling!!

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-02-2012, 04:13 PM
(05-02-2012 03:57 PM)boomer Wrote:  That darn Skilling!!

Hey you gotta like him! We watch him every day. Ever do the Tom Skilling voice? Give it a try its fun. Boy, I'll tell ya! Here is an entertaining piece where he is having a few microphone problems...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scqd8eWIfSU

05-02-2012, 04:23 PM
(05-02-2012 04:13 PM)Rey Wrote:  

Hey you gotta like him! We watch him every day. Ever do the Tom Skilling voice? Give it a try its fun. Boy, I'll tell ya! Here is an entertaining piece where he is having a few microphone problems...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scqd8eWIfSU

Sounds like a good contest for the April Brewhaha, but only after everybody has had a couple of cocktails. Winner would get a signed calendar or something to that effect...
05-02-2012, 05:30 PM

He's great: we get WGN here on digital.

----
I'm not one to believe in magic, but I sometimes have a second-sight....
05-02-2012, 06:12 PM
As some others I just came upon this thread today!
Well my handle is from playing in a band and we all had nicknames, the leader came up with all of ours. My last name is Niewoit (knee white) and I fly for a living so he came up with 'Inflight Niewoit'. So I just stuck with Inflight and well you all know where the 2112 came from!

Wink
05-02-2012, 07:26 PM
(05-02-2012 06:12 PM)inflight2112 Wrote:  As some others I just came upon this thread today!
Well my handle is from playing in a band and we all had nicknames, the leader came up with all of ours. My last name is Niewoit (knee white) and I fly for a living so he came up with 'Inflight Niewoit'. So I just stuck with Inflight and well you all know where the 2112 came from!

Wink

I have always liked that name, inflight2112, it has a nice ring to it. I like when I see it in a thread, I always picture some kind of craft in flight with the numbers emblazoned on the side.

06-02-2012, 06:30 PM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2012 06:32 PM by Durango Dave.)
Het All, my handle is simple-I live in Durango Colorado and my name is Dave. I will upload a photo soon, I am a novice with message boards but find the topics and folks here are very cool indeed.
Mispelled the word "hey", darned reading glasses. Will post more soon.