Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 4.25 Average
Great Reads
04-27-2012, 03:52 PM
RE: Great Reads
I'm waiting for that one to arrive, Scythe. I hope Roland has many stories yet to tell. I have all the Marvel graphic novels as well.

I'll have a look around for that, Dais. I had problems with the Dark Tower series in the beginning because of the length of time between books. I got hooked early on and was very impatient for the next.

"I will quietly resist."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2012, 01:21 AM
Dais, that's the not the worst thing he's been accused of. There's a nut job in Bangor who thinks Uncle Stevie killed John Lennon. Yeah. [Image: diapoe17bc2dba263785e078fe5a88301f7.gif]

I've been subscribed to the Marvel comics - the DT ones - from the first issue. No place nearby to get them. I'm glad I found an online place that does subscriptions.

I finished TWTTK last night. Excellent. Not very long but well worth your time.

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
05-07-2012, 04:31 PM (This post was last modified: 05-07-2012 04:34 PM by BrianW.)
Hello all, been busy cleaning my sock drawer. To wade in on Mr. King, I love his older stuff. Short, sharp shocks. For those looking for something similar may I recommend Joe Hill? He wrote one a few years back called Heart Shaped Box which features an aging rock star with a taste for the macabre who buys a haunted suit online. (Hint:check out the author photo)
Reading The Scarecrow by Michael Connelly. I've heard great things about him and his writing. Learning a lot about the newspaper biz.

Hoobah-doobah
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-08-2012, 05:22 AM
Quote:features an aging rock star with a taste for the macabre

I was reading the other day about Jimmy Page and how he had purchased Aleister Crowley`s house........that looked one really scary place I would want nothing to do with.....

Living the dream over here in Blighty
05-08-2012, 05:52 AM
I read that book Brian, yup! it was interesting.

If you can't play by OUR rules take your toys and go home!! [Image: rulez.gif]
05-09-2012, 01:46 AM
(05-07-2012 04:31 PM)BrianW Wrote:  Hello all, been busy cleaning my sock drawer. To wade in on Mr. King, I love his older stuff. Short, sharp shocks. For those looking for something similar may I recommend Joe Hill? He wrote one a few years back called Heart Shaped Box which features an aging rock star with a taste for the macabre who buys a haunted suit online. (Hint:check out the author photo)
Reading The Scarecrow by Michael Connelly. I've heard great things about him and his writing. Learning a lot about the newspaper biz.

Oh yes, Joe Hill is fantastic. Runs in the family, you know Wink

His other books are well worth a read, too. American Ghosts is his short story collection and Horns is his latest book. He also wrote a story with his Dad that is only available on Kindle, Throttle. I just downloaded it yesterday.

05-09-2012, 07:01 AM
(05-09-2012 01:46 AM)Scythe Matters Wrote:  
(05-07-2012 04:31 PM)BrianW Wrote:  Hello all, been busy cleaning my sock drawer. To wade in on Mr. King, I love his older stuff. Short, sharp shocks. For those looking for something similar may I recommend Joe Hill? He wrote one a few years back called Heart Shaped Box which features an aging rock star with a taste for the macabre who buys a haunted suit online. (Hint:check out the author photo)

Oh yes, Joe Hill is fantastic. Runs in the family, you know Wink

His other books are well worth a read, too. American Ghosts is his short story collection and Horns is his latest book. He also wrote a story with his Dad that is only available on Kindle, Throttle. I just downloaded it yesterday.
He's visited the store twice. Super nice guy.

Hoobah-doobah
05-10-2012, 02:32 AM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2012 02:33 AM by Scythe Matters.)
I downloaded Throttle and read it last night. It was like Duel meets Sons Of Anarchy, at least to me. I thought of all my friends who ride (not to mention Ren Man) and it scared me silly. As, of course, it was supposed to. Mission accomplished. Undecided

05-11-2012, 10:59 PM
I'm reading (for the longest time): Hero: The Life and Legend of Lawrence of Arabia and Sole Survivor: Dennis Hale's Own Story. Both really good reads.
05-12-2012, 03:07 AM
Just finished Inside Out by Nick Mason, Drummer for Pink Floyd. Good book, terrible format. Perhaps the heaviest stock which makes pictures look great, but you can't hold the book in one hand. A little heavy on the print side to be a coffee table book too.

Meanwhile it's a great insight from his perspective of the history of the band. With pictures you've never seen before, it makes for a fascinating look at one excellent band.

Oh Bleat!