Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Toronto @ ACC October 14
05-16-2012, 10:46 AM (This post was last modified: 05-16-2012 10:47 AM by knitterbookbinder.)
RE: Toronto @ ACC October 14
(05-13-2012 11:57 AM)Jetrow Wrote:  Ha good one! Paris of the Prairies as memorialized by the Tragically Hip. I met my wife in Regina. I remember that unrelenting wind, mosquitoes and hordes of grass hoppers. I hear the place is booming with immigration and oil money.

You'd never know it from the car shunpiking adventure we did on Sunday. Roads that are marked in the current atlas as pavement dissolve into gravel at random, and unless it's a major road, you're lucky if you even get something resembling a shoulder. Not the sort of roads I'd want to be riding on two wheels with.

That being said, some fabulous scenery to be had, traversing between the flat plains and the aspen woodland ecosystems, riding across the South Saskatchewan River on a little cable ferry, etc.

This is one of the shots from the pano I'll stitch together when I get back to my real 'puter. (Mirabile dictu, it worked!)

----
I'm not one to believe in magic, but I sometimes have a second-sight....
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-17-2012, 07:32 AM
(05-16-2012 10:46 AM)knitterbookbinder Wrote:  
(05-13-2012 11:57 AM)Jetrow Wrote:  Ha good one! Paris of the Prairies as memorialized by the Tragically Hip. I met my wife in Regina. I remember that unrelenting wind, mosquitoes and hordes of grass hoppers. I hear the place is booming with immigration and oil money.

You'd never know it from the car shunpiking adventure we did on Sunday. Roads that are marked in the current atlas as pavement dissolve into gravel at random, and unless it's a major road, you're lucky if you even get something resembling a shoulder. Not the sort of roads I'd want to be riding on two wheels with.

That being said, some fabulous scenery to be had, traversing between the flat plains and the aspen woodland ecosystems, riding across the South Saskatchewan River on a little cable ferry, etc.

This is one of the shots from the pano I'll stitch together when I get back to my real 'puter. (Mirabile dictu, it worked!)

Something about that open plain that is relaxing. I remember going to Red Deer via the short cut and driving the truck along on two lanes with over sized flatbeds hauling big Cat bulldozers coming the other way. Not a lot of room between those ditches I'll say.

I do miss it in a small way. Though I don't even want to visit again. The East has changed me to a city boy.

Thanks for sharing the pic. Smile

Oh Bleat!
05-20-2012, 07:51 PM
Since so many of us are going, I was thinking of setting up a private Google Map for Toronto's gathering -- does it get a name? -- and tagging hotels, ACC, places to visit, restos, etc. so that we have a common basis to figure out meet-ups and such.

If you're coming, and you'd like to participate/subscribe, please PM me an email address and I'll send out a message with the URL once it's set up.

----
I'm not one to believe in magic, but I sometimes have a second-sight....
05-21-2012, 06:58 AM
Ya know, this is an excellent idea. Makes a lot of sense.

I'm in for sure.
(05-20-2012 07:51 PM)knitterbookbinder Wrote:  Since so many of us are going, I was thinking of setting up a private Google Map for Toronto's gathering -- does it get a name? -- and tagging hotels, ACC, places to visit, restos, etc. so that we have a common basis to figure out meet-ups and such.

If you're coming, and you'd like to participate/subscribe, please PM me an email address and I'll send out a message with the URL once it's set up.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
05-21-2012, 12:26 PM
Offical vacation day taken for that Monday, so now it's up to getting the room(I want to check and re-check the correct one)and the flight booked. Which means we are in then Smile

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
05-22-2012, 09:47 PM
(05-20-2012 07:51 PM)knitterbookbinder Wrote:  Since so many of us are going, I was thinking of setting up a private Google Map for Toronto's gathering -- does it get a name? -- and tagging hotels, ACC, places to visit, restos, etc. so that we have a common basis to figure out meet-ups and such.

Great idea! Especially as I tend to get lost in my own backyard. I've never been to Toronto before, so that kind of info will be really helpful! Thanks for thinking of it!
2Beers... glad to hear you are going to make it!

Is everyone going to use the Courtyard / Marriot?

Intolerant of Intolerance.
05-22-2012, 11:11 PM
(05-22-2012 09:47 PM)ladijules Wrote:  

Great idea! Especially as I tend to get lost in my own backyard. I've never been to Toronto before, so that kind of info will be really helpful! Thanks for thinking of it!
2Beers... glad to hear you are going to make it!

Is everyone going to use the Courtyard / Marriot?

We are booked at Courtyard/Marriott, as is Debskis and I believe the 2Beers clan is planning on that location, too. (PS did anybody else notice the $30CAD/day on-site pkg fee?! EEEP!)

Blah blah blah....yada yada yada!
05-23-2012, 12:48 AM
I think I will just go ahead and book 2 rooms there as well. The prices seems reasonable and the reviews for the place look decent. Yeah, I was a bit startled over the 30 dollar parking fee too. Seems a bit much! Ah well, can't have everything. I hope taxi services aren't that expensive.

For those of you in the area... can you tell us what a good time will be to leave Monday morning, traffic wise? And how about some good breakfast places?

Intolerant of Intolerance.
05-23-2012, 05:42 AM (This post was last modified: 05-23-2012 05:47 AM by Jetrow.)
(05-23-2012 12:48 AM)ladijules Wrote:  I think I will just go ahead and book 2 rooms there as well. The prices seems reasonable and the reviews for the place look decent. Yeah, I was a bit startled over the 30 dollar parking fee too. Seems a bit much! Ah well, can't have everything. I hope taxi services aren't that expensive.

For those of you in the area... can you tell us what a good time will be to leave Monday morning, traffic wise? And how about some good breakfast places?

Traffic is always difficult. Usually by 9:30 or 10:00 the worst of the commute is over. There may be a hitch here too. One of the main arterial roads, The Gardener Expressway, has been dropping chunks of concrete for the last week or so. It's old and likely there will be some major construction or outright replacing it. This runs along the lakeshore and connects to the Queen Elizabeth Way. If you're driving up from the US, this will likely affect you. I'll keep an eye on that.

Breakfast is easy to find in Toronto. I would suggest avoiding the hotels and check out the restaurants at street level. Sunday Brunch is a big deal here and while you can get it most anywhere, prices and quality vary. I like Chew Chews on Carlton St, Just east of Allen Gardens. Cora's is a chain which isn't bad in a frilly kind of way. But like I said, get out and check out the places around you on street level. Church St. is just to the east of the Marriott and the heart of the Gay district. Good eats are easy to find and with a good attitude, people will become friendly and welcoming.

Maple Leaf Gardens is right there on Carlton behind the Marriott as well, for any hockey fans. It's now a Loblaws (grocery) and part of Ryerson University. I think you can still skate in there, though I haven't. LCBO is located here where you can purchase alcohol.

If you don't have Google Earth on your computer, you should get it. Street View is particularly helpful in finding specific things like a restaurant and gives you a heads up of the area.

Sherbourne and Dundas is an area best avoided. Very sketchy and while mostly harmless to pass though during the day, you probably don't want to walk through there at night. East and south of the Marriott by a good 5 or 6 blocks. You shouldn't have any reason to pass through there at all.

Dundas Square at Yonge and Dundas st. on the other hand is cool. Lots to see and do and of course plenty of places to eat. There is usually someone going on there.

Head west on Dundas toward Spadina to find the Asian district. Good Sushi can be found as well as Chinese food and all the other flavours of the Orient.

Taxis start at about $5 and can get expensive pretty quick. Expect between 10 to 20 bucks to get most places in the area. There is a flat rate to the airport.

The best bet is a good pair of walking shoes and a bus pass. Transit is pretty good here with street level street cars and buses going east and west, while the subway trains travel north and south along Yonge st and University. Day pass on the weekend allows for two adults and 4 kids to travel all day. $10.50 Using the street cars will allow you to see alot more of the city.

Oh Bleat!
05-24-2012, 03:11 AM
OMGOMGOMG.... so, I asked B last night if we get the settlement before then and it's the amount we want, can I take $1500 or so and go to Tarranah? He said, "Whatever you want." [Image: thwhee.gif]

So I'm crossing my fingers and got my mojo workin'....

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!