Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Scariest thing you've actually eaten?
07-20-2012, 12:24 PM
Scariest thing you've actually eaten?
Mexico City airport. Wtf was I thinking??? Muy feo cabron...Confused

[Image: food47.jpg]

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-20-2012, 12:55 PM
RE: Scariest thing you've actually eaten?
Hmmm...That looks pretty awful and vom making.

I mentioned this lovely dish ages ago on the Grill. I have not eaten it (nor do I intend to), but it is called Stargazy Pie, a dish peculiar to the South West and a small fishing village called Mousehole. If you are familiar with the kids story "The Mousehole Cat" it sort of makes a bit more sense.....

Anyway - tuck in.........no pud until it is all gone!!!

[Image: 1331256_f496.jpg]

Living the dream over here in Blighty
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-20-2012, 01:17 PM
^^^Good one!

But I think I'd sooner eat mousehole.Big Grin

07-20-2012, 01:41 PM (This post was last modified: 07-20-2012 01:55 PM by NWoBHM.)
Tuck in - You might need to check your dental plan covers you for eating a fishing port mindTongue

You can see the Ship Inn over to the left where they serve this dish - I have prattled on before about this but the crew of the Solomon Browne (a volunteer life rescue boat was manned by Mousehole folk) was launched on 19th December 1981 to save people in distress on a vessell off Cornwall. One of the crew members was the bar manager at the pub. They knew it was going to be touch and go, so would not allow more than one family member to sail that night - They all perished. [16 in total]

They serve the best Hicks Special Draught there and are the nicest people.

[Image: Mousehole130203(14).jpg]

07-20-2012, 01:58 PM
Man oh man..."selfless" doesn't even begin to describe that kind of courage...

07-20-2012, 02:11 PM
(07-20-2012 01:58 PM)Sunset Wrote:  Man oh man..."selfless" doesn't even begin to describe that kind of courage...

Yes Sunset - it is painfully sad. I would like to think I would have the courage to crew the ship - but I am not sure I would. Men of men..

07-20-2012, 02:36 PM
Sorry NWo, but the only thing I could think of when viewing your Stargazy Pie photo was that Dr. Demento song of the 70's:

"Fish heads, fish heads, roley-poley fish heads...fish heads, fish heads, eat 'em up, yum!"

Thanks, now I'll be 'singing' that in my head for the rest of the day! (or 'till I get to the bar and drink it away with some CPB tunes!)

"Rollin' numbers, rock-n-rollin', got my Kiss records out!"
07-20-2012, 04:02 PM (This post was last modified: 07-20-2012 04:17 PM by NWoBHM.)
The Stargazy Pie is to do with the Mousehole Cat - there was a big storm which cut off the port and people were starving (so the story goes) and the storm was caused by the Storm Cat. Anyway - the Mousehole Cat caught enough fish to feed the port and all was well - hence I suppose Stagazy Pie............And of course the awful seas around this place.

Anyway - get to a bar and listen to some CPT music and get some bears on board. Me I am feeling flu like, cold sweats, temperatures so I am taking myself off to bed...........and NO scotch in the house at the moment......

07-20-2012, 04:54 PM
Oh thanks N'awlins. I've got that little diddy now stuck in the grey matter. Tongue I'll meet you and NWo over in the bar for a cold one and some other musical tunes to remove the former tune.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
07-24-2012, 01:20 AM
(07-20-2012 02:36 PM)Nawlins Wrote:  Sorry NWo, but the only thing I could think of when viewing your Stargazy Pie photo was that Dr. Demento song of the 70's:

"Fish heads, fish heads, roley-poley fish heads...fish heads, fish heads, eat 'em up, yum!"

Thanks, now I'll be 'singing' that in my head for the rest of the day! (or 'till I get to the bar and drink it away with some CPB tunes!)

[Image: rofl-1.gif]

I love that song! By Barnes and Barnes - one of which was Billy Mumy from Lost In Space. How's that for useless trivia? Big Grin

By the way, I love octopus. It has to be tenderized correctly otherwise it's a rubbery mess. But, done right, it's delicious!

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!