Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Scariest thing you've actually eaten?
09-30-2012, 05:19 PM (This post was last modified: 09-30-2012 05:34 PM by SpaceCadet.)
RE: Scariest thing you've actually eaten?
I'm a big fan of Andrew "Bizarre Foods" Zimmern, so when he mentioned a restaurant at the Santa Monica airport that serves up worms and scorpions, I had to check it out. 'Didn't do the worms, but the scorpions were actually very tasty - just very small and very expensive, I think something like $12 for two of them from the appetizer menu, fried and placed on little squares of bread. And crunchy. The place is called "Typhoon" and has an excellent view of the runway... Just don't confuse it with "Monsoon," which is another excellent seafood joint, down on the 3rd St. Promenade.

When I first went to Thailand with my significant other, she took me to a beach where they had lots of creepy-crawlies waiting for the stir-fry kettle. The grasshoppers were great after you ditched the back legs (they tend to get stuck in the throat.) If you're curious you can read my travel journal entry for that day.

[Image: 1.1226838000.zimmernxs_loss.jpg]

[Image: 1.1226838000.revenge_at_last.jpg]

Yum!

"Waiter...can you stop that noise? What you call 'music.' It sounds like dirty water. How can they eat food - and listen to ****?"
- Sabina (Lena Olin) in The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-30-2012, 05:23 PM
[Image: smiley-shocked011.gif]

Space Cadet wins.

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
Find all posts by this user
09-30-2012, 06:31 PM
I've eaten hippo, but it wasn't scary! I agree though----Cadet wins! ICK!

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
09-30-2012, 06:54 PM
* hearing hundreds of tiny, little screams....

Most of us are so caught up in life that we forget to live it.
09-30-2012, 08:24 PM
Yup...SC wins...eeeewww!!!
10-01-2012, 01:03 PM
Would that include all the bugs we innadvertantly eat in our sleep?Tongue

I'm taking a ride with my best friend...I hope he never lets me down again.
10-01-2012, 01:24 PM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2012 01:27 PM by LiveToCook.)
Or the bugs actually being flown into our ''beaks'' and throats while riding the bikes...
And I will NOT even try to describe or imagine (what they were) some of the ''dishes'' that I was served and have actually eaten or attempted to eat in some places...
10-01-2012, 11:22 PM
(10-01-2012 01:24 PM)LiveToCook Wrote:  Or the bugs actually being flown into our ''beaks'' and throats while riding the bikes..

Or while we run Confused
10-05-2012, 09:24 AM
You motorcycle folks must eat plenty of bugs. My questions is: does picking up your beer at a party only to discover someone has put their cigarette out in it qualify as scary, gross, or stupid?

Shifting & Drifting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-05-2012, 10:07 AM
(10-05-2012 09:24 AM)BrianW Wrote:  You motorcycle folks must eat plenty of bugs. My questions is: does picking up your beer at a party only to discover someone has put their cigarette out in it qualify as scary, gross, or stupid?

On the same note...I had a room mate years ago that used to 'dip' that 'smokeless tobacco' stuff and spit in a can.(acckkk!) Well, as fate would have it, another buddy of ours was over after a long night of partaking and accidently grabbed (you guessed it!) my roomies spit can and took a big ol' swig. After he discovered the real contents, and after 'purging', we all agreed that spit cans were forever banned from any alcohol related functions! (ewwww!)Tongue

"Rollin' numbers, rock-n-rollin', got my Kiss records out!"