Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
Propane or Charcoal.
04-25-2010, 07:51 AM
RE: Propane or Charcoal.
Still using my trusty 15 year old Weber charcoal grill. Shows a little wear 'n tear. But, we rarely grill in the winter due to cold temps.

I prefer charcoal over propane due to flavour, taste, etc. But, there's also something to be said about going outside, stacking the briquettes, soaking with lighter fluid and then lighting. Kind of a bit methodical, relaxing and knowing that the fire I just built will be used for cooking gives a sense of purpose.

Friends of ours use propane and natural gas for the convenience. I can see that. But, my philosophy is if I want to do that, I'll just use the stove.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-26-2010, 01:46 PM
I believe Johnis correct. It just depends on what you are grilling, but take it a step further. Even if you do use propane or natural gas , a friend of mine showed me a trick where you shave the wood into a can let it soak for a few hours and then put the can in the grill on start up. Allow the mix to boil for a few minutes before starting the meat. Another trick my dad uses for fish is you can buy hickory slabs to place directly on the grill and then place the meat right on the wood itself, but thats a trick that requires that you pay very close attention to what you are doing. Now some of this depends on what wood you are using, too. For instance, apple wood is great for grilling pork chops (which are very popular here in Iowa) and cherry wood is good for chicken, so sometimes with the fruity woods we might include a sliver of two of apple with apple wood to add a bit more sweet flavor to the meal.

Too bad about that hickory tree John, but what a way to heat the house, eh?

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-26-2010, 06:23 PM
I use propane, but only because I'm crap at lighting a charcoal fire! My best friend has a green egg grill, and makes the most incredible ribs and wings on it, so I think about saving up for one, then remember I can't make fire. Is it a female thing?
04-26-2010, 07:12 PM
(04-26-2010 06:23 PM)mArNiAc Wrote:  I use propane, but only because I'm crap at lighting a charcoal fire! My best friend has a green egg grill, and makes the most incredible ribs and wings on it, so I think about saving up for one, then remember I can't make fire. Is it a female thing?

No Ma'am, it is not! LOL We can build fires too! Like oldhonda said above, that primal attraction to cooking over real fire is powerful stuff.

I prefer wood, will use charcoal if I have to, but my boyfriend is all about the gas grill. Good thing I always have some wood around for those times he forgets to fill the gas tank, or this last go 'round when the burners in his grill needed replacing and could only be had by mail. The Weber kettle always works Big Grin

I started out on charcoal, and can pass on the two most important things I learned: make a good pile of coals, not scattered all over, and use a fair amount of lighter fluid, then let it soak in. I wander off for 10 minutes or so. IMO, solid wood is a bit trickier to get started, but once you master coals, you can move right along to solid wood.

I challenged him to a rib-off that will take place soon. I'm confident the Weber and I will prevail, but either way, we'll have a big pile of ribs, and that's the best part!
04-26-2010, 07:26 PM
We use a Weber Chimney starter when lighting charcoal. You do not have to use lighter fluid and it works great.

Linky:

http://store.weber.com/Items/Accessories...x?pid=1349
04-26-2010, 07:31 PM (This post was last modified: 04-26-2010 07:32 PM by ForceTen.)
(04-26-2010 07:26 PM)RN-PRN Wrote:  We use a Weber Chimney starter when lighting charcoal. You do not have to use lighter fluid and it works great.

Linky:

http://store.weber.com/Items/Accessories...x?pid=1349

How well do these work? I tried to poor man's chimney, which wass nothing more than a metal coffee grounds can with holes punched in it. But, didn't like it and threw it in the recycling. Perhaps I wasn't being patient enough?
04-26-2010, 07:44 PM (This post was last modified: 04-26-2010 07:50 PM by RN-PRN.)
We purchased it a few years ago and use it everytime we grill. Never had a problem with it.

Maybe the can didn't have enough air flow through the bottom?
04-27-2010, 04:22 PM
Propane and propane accessories.

"Hope is what remains to be seen."- Bubba
04-27-2010, 06:01 PM
(04-27-2010 04:22 PM)valhalla66 Wrote:  Propane and propane accessories.
Hank? Izzat you??Big Grin

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
04-28-2010, 08:46 AM
Got my first grill last year as a housewarming present from my father and it's propane. The ease of use is extremely important in my case because before it the only cooking I could accomplish with any kind of success was microwaving and Kraft mac-n-cheese. Now I've made it all the way up to hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken breasts, steaks, and mac-n-cheese.