Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Your online "Handle"
03-09-2014, 10:15 PM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2014 10:16 PM by spinifex.)
RE: Your online "Handle"
Mine is a plant found in Australia - Spinifex sericeus and Triodia wiseana (not technically a spinifex, but commonly referred to such). I got the word from the lyric in the Midnight Oil song 'Who can Stand in the Way':

"When the spinifex hit Sydney, it was the last thing we expected
When the desert to Gladesville, we tried to tame it
And when the emus grazed at Pyrmont, it suddenly dawned on us all
Hah, finally the world was silent and the door was shut."

Midnight Oil is another band I just adore, and the term 'spinifex' caught my eye. I now try to use it as my handle everywhere, unless it's taken up.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-17-2014, 07:03 AM
(05-12-2010 03:25 PM)Bageleth Wrote:  I thought that this might be an interesting thread since a lot of us have already introduced ourselves. Brutus, if you feel that this belongs in that other thread, I won't be offended.

By the way, I forgot to mention when I did introduce myself, that I am from Oregon, in the Willamette Valley.

Anyway, just curious as to how everyone came up with their online names. I'll go first. Mine is sort of from my husband. When we were seriously dating (about 2 weeks after we started casually dating I guess), we started thinking of those "cutesy" names for each other. I came up with "Stud Muffin" for him (I know, it sounds really goofy now), and he decided that he needed to think of a bakery inspired name and came up with "Bagel Babe" and it's had variations. So "Bageleth" is more of a "King James" or "Shakespearean" version of Bagel. So, that's my story.
Well, I choose my handle because I always sing that song when it plays, but I sing along with most of Bubba's and his band mates songs, even the instrumental ones Cool

Trying to save the day for the Old World Man!
[Image: avatar_7108.jpg?dateline=1535034322]
02-01-2015, 01:15 PM
Lightbulb RE: Your online "Handle"
My handle comes from two sources. One being an adjective of my zodiac sign, Sagittarius, people of which have been described as shapeshifters. I find it accurate, due to my adaptability and ever changing nature. The other being a song called "Vital Signs", penned by a certain regular guy we all respect and admire! "A tired mind, become a shape shifter. Everybody need a mood lifter.. Everybody need reverse polarity.." Rolleyes Such a good tune.

"A gentleman is someone who knows how to play the banjo and doesn't.”
― Mark Twain
02-02-2015, 03:11 PM
(02-01-2015 01:15 PM)Shapeshifter Wrote:  My handle comes from two sources. One being an adjective of my zodiac sign, Sagittarius, people of which have been described as shapeshifters. I find it accurate, due to my adaptability and ever changing nature. The other being a song called "Vital Signs", penned by a certain regular guy we all respect and admire! "A tired mind, become a shape shifter. Everybody need a mood lifter.. Everybody need reverse polarity.." Rolleyes Such a good tune.

As I recall, the "X Files" had an episode with shape shifters...

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
02-03-2015, 12:40 PM
(02-02-2015 03:11 PM)Gungawoman Wrote:  
(02-01-2015 01:15 PM)Shapeshifter Wrote:  My handle comes from two sources. One being an adjective of my zodiac sign, Sagittarius, people of which have been described as shapeshifters. I find it accurate, due to my adaptability and ever changing nature. The other being a song called "Vital Signs", penned by a certain regular guy we all respect and admire! "A tired mind, become a shape shifter. Everybody need a mood lifter.. Everybody need reverse polarity.." Rolleyes Such a good tune.

I remember that! It took Mulder's form and tried to do you-know-what with Scully. Tongue

"A gentleman is someone who knows how to play the banjo and doesn't.”
― Mark Twain
02-03-2015, 09:15 PM
(02-02-2015 03:11 PM)Gungawoman Wrote:  

I figured that your handle had something to do with the song Vital Signs Heart I love that song!

Trying to save the day for the Old World Man!
[Image: avatar_7108.jpg?dateline=1535034322]
12-06-2015, 01:42 PM
Hi everybody:

I am the new guy here. My username came from my interest in Russian history,particularly the 20th century,time spent as a member of the armed forces reserve in my 30's and an extended middle finger to some parts of society. It is the calibre of the round commonly fired from Mikhail Kalashnikov's deadly toy The Avtomat Kalashnikov (AK47 to the general public). I'm not a gun f-tard or anything like that but I do hunt to put meat in my freezer and am comfortable around firearms. I am also a Rush fan and was employed in the music business in my late teens till my late 20's as a tech and monitor mixer. We'll chat more later.
12-07-2015, 02:52 PM
(12-06-2015 01:42 PM)762X39 Wrote:  Hi everybody:

I am the new guy here. My username came from my interest in Russian history,particularly the 20th century,time spent as a member of the armed forces reserve in my 30's and an extended middle finger to some parts of society. It is the calibre of the round commonly fired from Mikhail Kalashnikov's deadly toy The Avtomat Kalashnikov (AK47 to the general public). I'm not a gun f-tard or anything like that but I do hunt to put meat in my freezer and am comfortable around firearms. I am also a Rush fan and was employed in the music business in my late teens till my late 20's as a tech and monitor mixer. We'll chat more later.
Welcome! We're glad you're here!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
12-08-2015, 09:21 AM
My handle, "Dime IV," is a diminutive of "Dimension IV," which is the name of an old guitar effect Fender offered in the 1960s that processed the guitar's sound through a rotating oil can, thereby making a kind of warbly, gurgling sound. Very odd; then again, I probably am, too. Wink
12-24-2015, 06:24 AM
Mine is very original. It's derived from my first name and the first letter of my last name.