Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4 Average
Do you create?
04-15-2014, 05:38 AM
RE: Do you create?
Dare I say I can relate with music. Many years ago I was influenced by various artists in the creative process of music writing. Having been in a band since the age of 15 I've always had my hand on the pulse of music in one way or another. During the down times I found that writing and recording were just as much fun as playing with the band. Laying down tracks and creating something tangible is very rewarding. Especially if someone likes it.

"Listen...Jump on a moonbeam and rise, ride it, glide it all the way"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-30-2015, 08:30 PM
I cut snowflakes.

Shifting & Drifting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-03-2016, 12:58 PM
This essay of mine came out last fall. Not really a gardening topic, more environmental:

http://www.humansandnature.org/living-on-the-h-edge

DC

"Walk on air against your better judgement" - Seamus Heaney
02-04-2016, 06:20 AM
I think most of us create, if for no other reason, out of necessity. It's part of what makes us human.
I sometimes fabricate parts for my off-road buggy. I build antennas, make photographs, and design and make my own beer. I've made maps, both electronic and paper. Somewhere, I make enough time to fit in a 40-60 hour work week.
I frequently run out of time to do everything I want to do.

The vast majority of us creates something. Even if it's something as common as a nightly dinner. There is a deep, primal satisfaction in bringing something into existence. I think most people who are driven are driven by that desire.
02-04-2016, 08:13 AM
I would like to grow stuff. I had a go a few years ago, (chilli's, onions), which was pretty successful. I will do more when I can be sure of what time I have available to do so. Would like to brew, but again, time etc.

Living the dream over here in Blighty
02-04-2016, 12:14 PM
Along with everything else I'm embarking on developing some design templates for new hedgerow plantings..... How's that for eccentricity?

"Walk on air against your better judgement" - Seamus Heaney
02-04-2016, 01:08 PM
(02-04-2016 12:14 PM)osage59 Wrote:  Along with everything else I'm embarking on developing some design templates for new hedgerow plantings..... How's that for eccentricity?

It sounds great, why not? I have been to the States a few times. NYC, Philly, Pittsburgh, Dallas, etc. I was struck how, (as distinct from the UK), properties didn't seem to have a beginning or end. In the UK, we plot out exactly who owns what, usually with a fence or more often in the country with a hedge. I think there is a saying, strong fences make for good neighbours.

02-04-2016, 03:44 PM
(02-04-2016 08:13 AM)NWoBHM Wrote:  I would like to grow stuff. I had a go a few years ago, (chilli's, onions), which was pretty successful. I will do more when I can be sure of what time I have available to do so. Would like to brew, but again, time etc.

Yes, lack of time can be an obstacle. But, my advice, which may or may not be any good, is to do it, and do it now. Start one of those things and figure out a way make it fit.
Brewing can be very time consuming, but depending on what you do, you may only need a few hours, a couple of times in a month and a half. Not including consuming what you produce. I just wish I could keep up with demand..
02-05-2016, 12:40 AM
(02-04-2016 03:44 PM)MattV Wrote:  
(02-04-2016 08:13 AM)NWoBHM Wrote:  I would like to grow stuff. I had a go a few years ago, (chilli's, onions), which was pretty successful. I will do more when I can be sure of what time I have available to do so. Would like to brew, but again, time etc.

Yes, lack of time can be an obstacle. But, my advice, which may or may not be any good, is to do it, and do it now. Start one of those things and figure out a way make it fit.
Brewing can be very time consuming, but depending on what you do, you may only need a few hours, a couple of times in a month and a half. Not including consuming what you produce. I just wish I could keep up with demand..

Yes I should crack on and do it. Will certainly give it a go this Spring on the growing.

02-18-2016, 11:20 PM
(02-03-2016 12:58 PM)osage59 Wrote:  This essay of mine came out last fall. Not really a gardening topic, more environmental:

http://www.humansandnature.org/living-on-the-h-edge

DC

*Really* enjoyed this essay. I think I've previously professed my affinity for hedgerows, as I spent some time wheeling betwixt endless miles of them in Co. Cornwall, England. If only they could talk! Oh, the yarns they'd spin...

Blah blah blah....yada yada yada!