Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
Listening to..(2)
09-21-2016, 01:31 PM
RE: Listening to..(2)
I find happiness, as Burma Girl days in listening to old favourites, and as I'm travelling a lot these days, old books. I'm going over all the old authors and books I read as a teenager and someone in my early twenties. The scary thing is I remember reading the passages referring to people in the 50's and 60's and thinking that was old, and yet here I am.

Would be nice if you could invent that App Nung which profiles my die hard tastes and the App makes a 100% I will enjoy such and such band.

Living the dream over here in Blighty
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-21-2016, 01:41 PM
(09-21-2016 01:31 PM)NWoBHM Wrote:  I find happiness, as Burma Girl days in listening to old favourites, and as I'm travelling a lot these days, old books. I'm going over all the old authors and books I read as a teenager and someone in my early twenties. The scary thing is I remember reading the passages referring to people in the 50's and 60's and thinking that was old, and yet here I am.

Would be nice if you could invent that App Nung which profiles my die hard tastes and the App makes a 100% I will enjoy such and such band.

That App exists!
You simply download a plane ticket for me, I shoot on over, look over your CD collection, hang with you for 3.5 days, and then head back to the desert to make a bunch of CDs for you! Smile

"I don't cook; I prepare things." My late brother Bill
Find all posts by this user
09-22-2016, 12:17 AM
Well the Smokers will be hangin with us for 3 days early next month, so they can check out my CD collection and help me.

The App might not load because of English Ale and Scotch Whiskey.

09-22-2016, 10:32 AM
(09-22-2016 12:17 AM)NWoBHM Wrote:  Well the Smokers will be hangin with us for 3 days early next month, so they can check out my CD collection and help me.

I'll have a dram of Balvenie.

09-22-2016, 10:43 AM
(09-22-2016 10:32 AM)Nung Wrote:  
(09-22-2016 12:17 AM)NWoBHM Wrote:  Well the Smokers will be hangin with us for 3 days early next month, so they can check out my CD collection and help me.

I'll have a dram of Balvenie.

Boomer's favourite although I am not sure I've ever seen it over here. The pub usually had Talisker, Macallan, Chivas, etc.

I will make the point in checking the upper market retailers (Marks and Sparks, Waiterose etc) and see if they have it.

09-22-2016, 10:54 AM
The Macallan is a fine choice as well.
But seriously, who are "The Smokers?" A band?

09-22-2016, 11:29 AM
(09-22-2016 10:54 AM)Nung Wrote:  The Macallan is a fine choice as well.
But seriously, who are "The Smokers?" A band?

The Smokers are me and my wife. Big Grin

I'm taking a ride with my best friend...I hope he never lets me down again.
10-09-2016, 06:35 AM
(09-13-2016 10:53 AM)Nung Wrote:  
(09-12-2016 09:04 PM)New World Man Wrote:  Wishbone Ash! I have bought 4 record LP's and haven't heard a song that I recognize yet. Can anyone tell me a hit song of theirs that I might know?

Wishbone Ash! Reminds me of college.
"Argus" was the big album for me. "Time Was" was a big hit back in the day. I enjoy the entire album and I think about 1/2 of it caught good play.
Thanks, I will keep an eye out for "Argus" at the record stores I hit up when I get in the mood to get some new jams, besides records are old school and cheap, unless its a classic collector item then it's 10 times the original price it sold for new. I hear LP's are making a comeback... Don't know about that?

Trying to save the day for the Old World Man!
[Image: avatar_7108.jpg?dateline=1535034322]
10-10-2016, 09:41 AM
(10-09-2016 06:35 AM)New World Man Wrote:  
(09-13-2016 10:53 AM)Nung Wrote:  
(09-12-2016 09:04 PM)New World Man Wrote:  Wishbone Ash! I have bought 4 record LP's and haven't heard a song that I recognize yet. Can anyone tell me a hit song of theirs that I might know?

Wishbone Ash! Reminds me of college.
"Argus" was the big album for me. "Time Was" was a big hit back in the day. I enjoy the entire album and I think about 1/2 of it caught good play.
Thanks, I will keep an eye out for "Argus" at the record stores I hit up when I get in the mood to get some new jams, besides records are old school and cheap, unless its a classic collector item then it's 10 times the original price it sold for new. I hear LP's are making a comeback... Don't know about that?

Let us know when you track it down. It is a fine album.

10-12-2016, 03:33 PM
I think I might have mentioned this CD back in the spring when I discovered it but I am just enchanted with it:

"Beneath the Waves" by Kompendium. Kompendium is a 2013 project put together by Robert Reed of the Swedish progressive rock band Magenta. It is stunning...it rocks but it has orchestral elements, Celtic elements, and a wealth of vocals including some operatic vocals. Some of the artists include Steve Hackett, Gavin Harrison, Francis Dunnery, Mel Collins, Nick Beggs, Neil Taylor, Jakko Jaksyk, Christina Booth, etc. Hackett's guitar work is a real standout.

I cannot recommend it highly enough. It is a concept record that takes its story from a 1902 newspaper report. It is a sad story but the music is uplifting, stunning, and...well, I simply cannot find enough words to tell you how good this album is.